News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

HXC Software Issue (?)

Started by Badstarr, 00:29, 13 May 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Badstarr

Hi to all.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have discovered another complication concerning Prehistorik 2 and Cauldron 3. A few weeks ago I acquired another 464 plus and recently I added 128k and the FDD Interface hardware (may post some pics if anyone is interested). I tested the new hardware with an external drive and it worked great! So I connected up the HxC I bought for my uber CPC project.

When I attempted to load the fixed images i made of Prehistorik 2 I hit a problem. Drive A Disc Missing.... I tried the images on my other 464 plus and they loaded fine. I then borrowed the floppy cable from my original 464 plus and installed it on the new machine and Prehistorik 2 loaded fine. After a lot of jumper swapping on the HxC I realised that I had been simulating the READY signal on my machine all along and not on the new machine. Basically a relic from when I was using a real floppy drive with the cable.

So I have forced the READY signal on the new machine too by adding a jumper to the cable, without it neither the standard images or my fixed images work, I have tried all the HxC recommended jumper settings for the CPC and hit the same problem!?

What gives???

Recently I had some problems with Prehistorik 2 and Super Cauldron (Cauldron 3) when trying to load via my HxC. I had the same issues when I converted the HFE images back to DSK files and tried them on a CPC emulator. Anyway, to cut a long story short I was able to get working images by doing some alterations in a HEX editor, I think this may be an issue with the Extended Disk Format. I will attach the two images I had problems with to this post in the hopes that some other people will try them with their HXC software and SD HxC emulator to see if this is a general problem or just something to do with my particular setup.

Please give them a go and report back, also, if you have used a DSK image that has converted to HFE and worked without problem please post the images.

Cheers!
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

kyjena

For Cauldron 3 , black screen after loading.
See the Download services section for cauldron 3, i reply on it with a good hfe file upload.
For Prehitorik, blue screen after loading.
Always looking for a good version.

EDIT: I add the hfe file for cauldron 3 here

kyjena

OK I find correct file for Prehistorik II: from cracker velus
You'll find 2 hfe files: prehistorik 2_A and prehistorik 2_B. Perhaps someone can make one file with them later.
insert prehist2_A in slot1 and prehist2_B in slot2 on hxc
With slot1: run"prehist2.bin
choose 1 for normal game
press return to begin at level 0
and after seeing this gray bars screen change slot1 to slot2 (change face) and press space bar

Now you have a running version like this:

Badstarr

I have previously fixed an HFE version of Prehistorik II can be found here... Prehistorik 2 - fixed HFE file for use with the HXC this is a single image so you don't need to change images. I have not heard back from anyone confirming if the fixed image is working universally yet so I'm assuming no news is good news, but please do give the image a try and let us know if you found any problems with it.
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: Badstarr on 00:53, 20 June 12
I have previously fixed an HFE version of Prehistorik II can be found here... Prehistorik 2 - fixed HFE file for use with the HXC this is a single image so you don't need to change images. I have not heard back from anyone confirming if the fixed image is working universally yet so I'm assuming no news is good news, but please do give the image a try and let us know if you found any problems with it.

Just to understand why do you need to patch these images ? ( what do you patch exactly ?)

Badstarr

Just noticed your reply jeff_hxc2001. The reason why these images need to be patched seems to be the copy protection present on the original disk. The DSK image seems to replicate the weak sector copy protection after track 38. The HxC software as far as I can tell thinks that the disk does not contain tracks beyond 38. There may be other images available that will work without problem, however the ones I could find all seemed to have this problem.

Basically using a HEX editor I examined the differences between the HFE image after I converted it back into a DSK and the original DSK image. I then restored the missing information and saved it, then I tested the new image in an emulator. The image worked so I proceeded to convert it to an HFE. However the image still wouldn't work on a real CPC via the floppy emulator. So the solution was to make a RAW version of the DSK image using th HxC software and copy the missing data in the HEX editor and rename the new image with the DSK extension. Then finally use this to create an HFE image using the HxC software.

Jeff_HxC2001

Quote from: Badstarr on 17:09, 30 June 12
Just noticed your reply jeff_hxc2001. The reason why these images need to be patched seems to be the copy protection present on the original disk. The DSK image seems to replicate the weak sector copy protection after track 38. The HxC software as far as I can tell thinks that the disk does not contain tracks beyond 38. There may be other images available that will work without problem, however the ones I could find all seemed to have this problem.

Ok. Can you send me the DSK file ? i will check this.

thanks !

Badstarr

I will send you the DSK images etc as soon as I can dig them out as I'm working night shift and i have to take my car for its anual MOT test first thing in the morning too. It will be some point tomorrow afternoon I think. I will PM you them if that's ok with you?

RufUsul

Hi,

Gryzor sent me to this thread as i just posted my Probleme over there -> SDCard HxC Firmware v1.7.1.2

thanks
RufUsul

Jeff_HxC2001

ervin

Brilliant!
Thanks Jeff - looking forward to trying it out!