News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Increasing TPA in CPM Plus?

Started by ||C|-|E||, 13:54, 01 October 15

Previous topic - Next topic

||C|-|E||

Hi guys!

I am going to ask something very stupid, do not laugh, but has anybody found a way to increase the TPA in CPM Plus and use something like a RAM expansion in a transparent way? Did anybody try this? I am talking about an app that is able to automatically switch between memory banks but still allows using conventional CPM programs letting them to see the extra RAM. I have this question because I find that RAM is the most limiting resource for the adventure we are making and, although is possible to fit everything in 61 KB, it would be great to have additional space  :D . I was doing some research but it seems quite difficult to develop something like this, definitely beyond my skills. On the other hand, I know that CPM Plus uses a bank for itself, but still... maybe it would be possible to release some memory from it. Not everything is needed to run a basic application that does not need the whole functionality of the operating system. Of course, having a X-MEM compatible CPM would be even greater  ;D .

TFM

CP/M Plus for CPC provides 61 KB TPA, maximum would be IMHO 63 KB. So a maximum of 2 KB can be archived, but that's not much.

Idea 1: Create an RSX. The RSX doesn't steal from TPA (or am I wrong?)

Idea 2: Personally I would use the RAM drive C as quick 'memory expansion', but of course this means to split up your program. However you could load text-blocks or GFX quick that way.

Other people know more maybe. also there is a CP/M forum at gaby.de Experts should be there, but most of the time I only see tumbling weeds.  :-\
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

||C|-|E||

Hehe, I actually managed to create a 63 KB version of CPM 2.2 using the tools of Dk´tronics. 2 KB is not much, but still better than nothing! :D

FloppySoftware

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 13:54, 01 October 15
has anybody found a way to increase the TPA in CPM Plus and use something like a RAM expansion in a transparent way? Did anybody try this? I am talking about an app that is able to automatically switch between memory banks but still allows using conventional CPM programs letting them to see the extra RAM. I have this question because I find that RAM is the most limiting resource for the adventure we are making and, although is possible to fit everything in 61 KB, it would be great to have additional space  :D . I was doing some research but it seems quite difficult to develop something like this, definitely beyond my skills. On the other hand, I know that CPM Plus uses a bank for itself, but still... maybe it would be possible to release some memory from it. Not everything is needed to run a basic application that does not need the whole functionality of the operating system. Of course, having a X-MEM compatible CPM would be even greater  ;D .

Do you have the possibility to leave the text in a disk file?
floppysoftware.es < NEW URL!!!
cpm-connections.blogspot.com.es

||C|-|E||

For the adventure I am using PAWs, and it imposes some limitations  :( . If you run the game in "debugging" mode there is an interpreter that is loaded first (PAWINT) and then this interpreter reads a database with all the conditions and the texts. In this sense, we could say that the database is a separate file. The interpreter needs around 6 KB to run. However, if you produce a final version of the game, able to run as standalone application, a COM file is generated that contains both the interpreter and the database. In this case, you cannot separate them. That is regarding the game engine itself, the graphics are different. In this case they are stored and read as separate files. You need to patch the COM file containing the interpreter and the database and every time you move to a location, a MAP file is scanned. This MAP file contains the list of graphics, the location of each graphic and the palette of each image. When the required graphic is located, it is loaded from the disc and presented on the screen. The system allows to use a lot of images (this adventure will have around 45) although is slower than reading them from the RAM :).

TFM

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 15:38, 01 October 15
Hehe, I actually managed to create a 63 KB version of CPM 2.2 using the tools of Dk´tronics. 2 KB is not much, but still better than nothing! :D

I prefer the 63 KB TPA CP/M 2.2 version from Dobbertin. More stable, more quick character display. ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

||C|-|E||

I actually never tried it. I have no experience with Dobbertin products and I could not even find a DSK with the patched operating system or the patch itself...  :-X

TFM

Try this... as bonus I put power3 on it ;-)

TFM of FutureSoft

||C|-|E||

Thank you! I will give it a try!  :D