News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

makecart

Started by arnoldemu, 19:53, 02 October 18

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

I have uploaded a new version of makecart.
http://www.cpctech.org.uk/download/makecart.zip
This is the tool that lets you add roms to a cartridge.
NOTE: This is "v1" which scans cart pages only so it will not see expansion roms.
Usage:
makecart -o plus\v1\os.rom -b plus\original\basic.rom -d plus\parados12.rom -r 2 "MAXIDOS.rom" -r 3 "PROTEXT.rom"

The previous version had bugs which I've fixed.
Thank you @The_Mole_UK
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

The_Mole_UK

Quote from: arnoldemu on 19:53, 02 October 18
I have uploaded a new version of makecart.
http://www.cpctech.org.uk/download/makecart.zip
This is the tool that lets you add roms to a cartridge.
NOTE: This is "v1" which scans cart pages only so it will not see expansion roms.
Usage:
makecart -o plus\v1\os.rom -b plus\original\basic.rom -d plus\parados12.rom -r 2 "MAXIDOS.rom" -r 3 "PROTEXT.rom"

The previous version had bugs which I've fixed.
Thank you @The_Mole_UK
It's you that needs to be thanked! - Thank you!

From playing with it, these are my observations...

Forget the Plus side and instead make it a little less fiddily.  I wrote a bat.

MAKECART -o "OS\OS (CPC 6128) (MAKECART).rom" -b "OS\BASIC 1-1 (CPC 6128) (MAKECART).rom" -d "OS\ParaDOS 1-2 ($33).rom" -r 3 "MAXAM 1-50.rom" -r 4 "REMPRO 1-1.rom" -r 5 "OPTIMIZE 1-2.rom" -r 6 "MAXIDOS 1-3.rom" -r 8 "Donkey Kong 0-01.rom" -r 9 "Killer Gorilla 0-01.rom" -r 10 "Hunchback II (Quasimodo's Revenge) 0-01.rom" -r 11 "Hunchback 0-01.rom" "6128 Plus (CPC 6128 OS) - ParaDOS 1.2 ($33), etc, 4x Hidden ROM Games!.cpr"

@ECHO OFF
REM Upper(0)=
REM Upper(1)=
REM Upper(2)=
REM Upper(3)=MAXAM 1-50.rom                                                |HELP
REM Upper(4)=REMPRO 1-1.rom                                                 |RP
REM Upper(5)=OPTIMIZE 1-2.rom                                               |OP
REM Upper(6)=MAXIDOS 1-3.rom                                                |MD
REM Upper(7)=ParaDOS 1.2 $33 [IGNORE SLOT!]                         |DRIVE
REM Upper(8.)=Donkey Kong 0-01.rom                                        |DonkeyKong
REM Upper(9)=Killer Gorilla 0-01.rom                                           |Gorilla
REM Upper(10)=Hunchback II (Quasimodo's Revenge) 0-01.rom     |Hunchback2
REM Upper(11)=Hunchback 0-01.rom                                           |Hunchback                       
REM Upper(12)=
REM Upper(13)=
REM Upper(14)=
REM Upper(15)=
REM Upper(16)=

REM ** IMPORTANT! - The ROM Box is emulated on the cartridge ONLY! **

For me, the Plus side does not work as well because it loses the boot messages and I like that.  Plus ROM copyrights etc.  Also with Plus |game can crash things as not removed.  Maybe the Plus side is still in progress.

It works super for turning the Plus into a CPC 6128. :)

If you could fix the CPC to also see the ROM box, that would be good.  But the enclosed cartridge was kind of my main vision...

See attached...

If someone can now convert Classic Invaders from the Trainer version...  I've fixed the scoreboard with Hex Workshop...  Thanks...   Game ROMs are better without headers I think, so can add lots of them...

The_Mole_UK

...and here's the Plus one... :)

|ACP
|TUBA
|CPCI

|FROGPLUS

tjohnson

Quote from: The_Mole_UK on 01:21, 04 October 18
...and here's the Plus one... :)

|ACP
|TUBA
|CPCI

|FROGPLUS

Very nice tool, I was testing this but no idea how to use maxidos, optimiser etc!

The_Mole_UK

Excellent ROMs, built them back up from the discs...

ParaDOS v1.2 $33 - Two 3.5" drives on A and B.  More for WinAPE where this excels.  You can also read 3" format...  Just on real hardware you want the original version as this stops you using 3.5" formats on a 3" drive.  Personally, I think this the most useful.  If I had hardware and I think Lordy ought to make a v5 instead, then I'd probably want a 3.5" A or USB emulator.  |Drive.
MAXIDOS - makes files hidden, read only, read and write, visible (System On).  You can type Help.  |MD
OPTIMIZE - This is a defragger.  It moves a file(s) so all of it is stored in the same location.  So not going all over the disc.  In WinApe, press Shift F4 first, then Shift F3 and can do this at 1000% :)  |OP
REMPRO - |RP, then load"program.bas".  You can see those protected with ,p.  |RP   Came from Oddjob 2.2.  Only useful tool as rest does not seen to like 3.5" drives.  Essential in 2018...
MAXAM 1.5 - |Help/|help,ROM no.

Kevin's tool emulates the ROM Box on the cartridge as the OS is patched, so only the ROMs on the cartridge are visible.  But these are what I largely use...

The_Mole_UK

Quote from: tjohnson on 21:32, 04 October 18

Very nice tool, I was testing this but no idea how to use maxidos, optimiser etc!
The Plus OS tweak doesn't seem as stable as CPC 6128.  So, Frogger Plus, I've redone today with Dragon's System Cart with ParaDOS 1.2 $33 on - and that then sees the WinAPE ROM Box.  This is because the OS is not patched...

Think these are my final versions (seems to be best arrangement).

- CPC Invaders and Frogger Plus, I've used the Plus, ParaDOS 1.2+ cart by Dragon and then added these ROMs to WinAPE ROM Box...
(Original in the post above - ROM test).

If the OS ISN'T patched to look for additional ROMs on the cartridge, it will ONLY look at the ROM Box.  The ROM box will override the default cartridge slots of OS, BASIC and AMSDOS/ParaDOS.
It's pretty cool...

The_Mole_UK

This will be useful...  :D

arnoldemu

Please make sure you use the patched os in the "v1" directory.

There is a patched os for 6128 and for plus.

6128\v1 and plus\v1

EDIT: Please can you e-mail me with examples that don't work with the patched plus carts. I will debug it and find what I need to fix :)

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

GUNHED

Sorry, link doesn't work any longer. Where can we find the newest version of this Cart maker please?
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)