News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

MegaFlash ROManager 1.44

Started by TFM, 19:41, 01 March 12

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Updates / new features:

- Bugs killed (guess I got em all, Thanks to SyX!!!)

- Edit ROM option (FutureOS only, using the machine monitors EDIT function)

- Protect Flash option (the opposite of Init. Flash). It renders the Flash unwriteable by ROManager

- Init Flash option (allows it initialize and deprotect a new 512 KB Flash chip)

- Reset CPC option (for a quick reset, to check in the new ROMs feel well)

- Small Spy-OS which needs an Ethernet card to work (perfectly to rip Cartridges)

Any further suggestions? Let me know! Else just be patient for a while :-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Good stuff, mate. Thanks!

00WReX

It probably does not need much else, but I previously posted some "nice to have's" (well for me anyway) .

A simple "List ROMs" Option.
An option to Load a range of ROMs eg Load positions 20-23 for those apps the occupy more than one position.
An option to clear a range of ROMs eg clear positions 20-23 for those apps the occupy more than one position.
This would also allow the user to clear all ROMs if required 0-31 (automatically excluding ROMs 0 & 7).

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Bryce

There will probably be further changes coming later. I also pointed out to TFM the fact that having the "Init Flash" feature on the FOS version is a chicken and egg problem: If you have FOS running, then your Flash IC has already been initialised, so Init Flash only make sense on the BASIC disk version. Both the ROM version and FOS version only run if you already have a working initialised Flash in the MegaFlash.

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 14:31, 05 March 12
There will probably be further changes coming later. I also pointed out to TFM the fact that having the "Init Flash" feature on the FOS version is a chicken and egg problem: If you have FOS running, then your Flash IC has already been initialised, so Init Flash only make sense on the BASIC disk version. Both the ROM version and FOS version only run if you already have a working initialised Flash in the MegaFlash.

Bryce.

That's surely right. But as I explained before I added this function to the FutureOS version first, because I needs it to be tested first. Later on I can make it common (all versions). I mean you built the basement first, then the 1st level  ;)  Actually I asked you a very looooooooooooooooong time ago to do the test. And - sorry - until I get 'green light' from you I can't go any further. This must be done step by step, else we would end up with software that leaves the quality control to the user. And I don't like that.  :)  If the function works flawless in the FutureOS version, then I will integrate it in all the other versions (ok, maybe not the 464, depends on needed space). :) :) :)

@00WRex: These are good ideas, maybe not easy AND quick to implement. I'll think about it, but choosing a region is always more 'ask user for data' intense. I'll hopefully find a solution, if not now, then soon  :) :) :)

Great week to all of you!!!

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

??? How can I test it? It's impossible to have FOS running AND have an un-initialised Flash connected at the same time.  :o

Bryce.

MiguelSky

Quote from: 00WReX on 14:21, 05 March 12An option to Load a range of ROMs eg Load positions 20-23 for those apps the occupy more than one position.
An option to clear a range of ROMs eg clear positions 20-23 for those apps the occupy more than one position.
This would also allow the user to clear all ROMs if required 0-31 (automatically excluding ROMs 0 & 7).
QuoteThese are good ideas, maybe not easy AND quick to implement. I'll think about it, but choosing a region is always more 'ask user for data' intense. I'll hopefully find a solution, if not now, then soon  :) :) :)
This remember me the REBOOT command from BonnyDOS: it lets you reboot the system only with the roms which number is indicated as a parameter; i.e: REBOOT,0,6,15 restarts the system with the ROMs 0, 6 and 15 (but without AMSDOS ROM 7). This is a useful way to temporally change the system configuration without parking/uninstalling ROMs :)

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 16:36, 05 March 12
??? How can I test it? It's impossible to have FOS running AND have an un-initialised Flash connected at the same time.  :o

Bryce.

As explained in my email  :) :
- Install FutureOS to your MegaFlash and all other ROMs (so basicly what you have right now).
- Get the Flash chip out and put it into your Flash-burner connected to your PC
- Activate the Software-Data-Protection
- Move Flash back from Flash-burner at PC to the MegaFlash connected to the CPC
- Now start ROManager 1.44 (DSK you got from me) and use Init Flash option
- Now test if you can erase or copy a ROM (or whatever)

That should be doable  :) :) :) 
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

Eh ok, you do realise that that's a situation that can only exist on my MegaFlash, not on anyone elses? Which is why I questioned the fact that the Init is on the FOS version at all.

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: MiguelSky on 17:00, 05 March 12
This remember me the REBOOT command from BonnyDOS: it lets you reboot the system only with the roms which number is indicated as a parameter; i.e: REBOOT,0,6,15 restarts the system with the ROMs 0, 6 and 15 (but without AMSDOS ROM 7). This is a useful way to temporally change the system configuration without parking/uninstalling ROMs :)

That sound like a clone of the !ROMON RSX command of of XDDOS. Also MAXAM of PROWORT, UTOPIA have RSX commands like ROMOFF or ROMON. Also HELP or HELP,romnumber is appreciated :-)))
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 20:04, 05 March 12
Eh ok, you do realise that that's a situation that can only exist on my MegaFlash, not on anyone elses? Which is why I questioned the fact that the Init is on the FOS version at all.

Bryce.

Dear Bryce! I just please you to test if the routine works or not. I told/explained several times that I have intergrated it for testing purposes in the FutureOS version of the ROManager 1.44. It does not matter if anyone, anyhow, or ever will use the FutureOS version to ever use the function. Just read what I wrote before (and before... ;-)))
However, the test has to be conducted in that concrete context. The reason for this it that in this environment there are no disturbing events (like in the AMSDOS context f.e.). I can't expain all my source here, but it's provided on disc and shall speakt for itself.
We're discussing this now since weeks, we can discuss it for months more. But as long as I don't know if the function per se works, I can't move on in development.

TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

I will test it as you wish. It's just 10 times more work for me and at the moment, time isn't something I have a lot of. It means having to install FOS (not normally installed on my MegaFlash), then dismantle my MegaFlash to remove the Flash (it's in a case). Then setup my burner, set the bits in the flash and put everything back together. I'm sure you have your reasons for making an FOS version, it just seems like a very complicated way for me, especially when the feature isn't any use to anyone else in this version and I could test the BASIC version in just a few minutes. But whatever...

I will try to get the test done sometime late next week.

Bryce.

steve

If you are building some more megaflash units, could you use one of those?

Bryce

I could but I literally only build them as they are ordered. Even the one in the LowerROM photo is already on its way to the person who ordered it. So I only have my own one here at the moment and would need to order the parts for a new one, because no-one has ordered one.

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 20:44, 05 March 12
I will test it as you wish. It's just 10 times more work for me and at the moment, time isn't something I have a lot of.

Sure, but for you it's one hour of work. For me it's a week to transfer all that stuff/text/code from the FutureOS verson into to the Amsdos version. The ROManager is encoded in Z80 source, not in BASIC. That makes it harder. Further I have to deal with several languages. That sums up to a shocking amount of time. One week is not too much for that.
And there is no need to bring all that stuff/functions/options into the AMSDOS version, if it doesn't work on the CPC at all. (We don't know if it works, we only assume it could work).
And if I would start up with the Amsdos version, and it will not work under Amsdos, then it would mean nothing, because there is much more interacting in this case. So more toubles... Therefore we need the first test under FutureOS (where I feel at home and know exactly what happens. So debugging is way more easy).

So thanks a lot for your help, really appreciate your help!!!
I spare you usually from testing whenever possible. But this time... ... ... you know ;-)

Quote from: Bryce on 20:44, 05 March 12
It means having to install FOS (not normally installed on my MegaFlash)...

That's done automaticly. The installer does it all.  :-)))

But don't beg for understanding for not using FutureOS *hehehehe*
It does neiter interfere with other ROMs, nor does it steal RAM, so there is no reason to not have it in the MegaFlash.
If you like I can even make you a vesion, that sets ROM numbers, screen MODE and colors in a way you like (where are the smily symbols if I need them???) :-)))
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

I knew the "I don't usually have FOS installed" comment would get you annoyed :D I actually have the FOS installer on my HxC, but I have been testing so many ROMs that I removed it to test other things.

Bryce.

TFM

We need the 8 MB ROM-Box *hahahaha*. *Duck und weg*

For English speakers: "Duck und weg" means you catch a duck on the sidewalk, so you have always something to eat. ...  maybe I'm wrong :-DDD
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Ok, Protect Flash option added. So the Software Data Protection (SDP) can now be switched ON or OFF. More easy for Bryce and more fun in playing with the Flash chip.

Oh, btw. Did you guys know that all Flash Chips have a Manufacturer ID and a picture of the Manufacturers 21 years old daughter?
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

Cool! Is the new version in my Inbox?? :)

I was aware of the Manufacturers ID (there's a few other things such as part No. stored there too) but I didn't know that the daughter picture is there, I need to check those ICs again :D

Bryce.

Gryzor

Do I need a microscope?

Bryce

No just type - Load "Manufactures Daughter.bin", &C000 and you can view it in Mode 2 :)

Bryce.

Gryzor

TFM

No, but don't use LCD screens. Because it needs the hardware antializing feature of the original CPC monitor. Now.... only if Bryce is ok with the release of the GFX I can post that here. Else we have to wait until the manufacturer will create another daughter and grow her up - which can take some time ;-)

TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Hello dear users of the MegaFlash!

I would need your help, else I'm unable to finish Ver. 1.44. But you should have a Flash-Burner, just in case something goes wrong.

Your job would be to test the "Prot. Flash" option.

Please answer me here!!!
Your help will be greatly appreciated!!!
TFM
TFM of FutureSoft

SyX

Sorry TFM, i haven't a flash burner for helping with these tests.