News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

MegaFlash ROManager 1.44

Started by TFM, 19:41, 01 March 12

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Quote from: SyX on 12:03, 06 April 12
Sorry TFM, i haven't a flash burner for helping with these tests.

No problem. It's about the "Init. Flash" and "Protect Flash" options. Bryce has good reasons to think that this functions can never ever be used with the CPC. However since I tried to implement them in Ver. 1.44 (only FutureOS up to now), I really would like somebody to test it. However, I will be able to do it by myself in my holiday in Germany (beginning at Mai 18th).
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Not too many I would guess... :(

TFM

The ROManager archive has been updated: 1.44 is not final, but you may find some nice help texts now. Also debugging has been done. And you can select your language at startup (using "-RMA-LNG" as start file.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

The ROManager 1.44 (FutureOS) (WIP)[nb]Now - since it is working - I can also make the corresponding verson for BASIC[/nb] can now activate and deactivate the Software-Data-Protection (SDP) of a Flash Chip.
This means: You can use any[nb]Any means still the same type of chip[/nb] new Flash Chip for the MegaFlash, because the SDP can be deactivated.
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Quote from: TFM/FS on 16:48, 05 June 12
The ROManager 1.44 (FutureOS) (WIP)[nb]Now - since it is working - I can also make the corresponding verson for BASIC[/nb] can now activate and deactivate the Software-Data-Protection (SDP) of a Flash Chip.
This means: You can use any[nb]Any means still the same type of chip[/nb] new Flash Chip for the MegaFlash, because the SDP can be deactivated.

Can you explain this a bit more? I understand I can now change chips, but why couldn't I before?

TFM

Hi!
Well, if you get a MegaFlash (MF) from Bryce then you can use it in the way you know. Bryce did deactivate the so called SDP[nb]see before[/nb] of the Flash, and so the Flash can be written.

Now, if you get a new Flash chip from the factory then the SDP is active. This means that no data can be written to the Flash, it behaves like a ROM.

If you get a new Flash chip for your MF (for which reasons ever) or if you decide to built up a MF by yourself then you must deactivate the SDP, else you can't use the Flash chip to write on it.

To deactivate (or activate) the SDP you have to send a byte array (a code) to specified addressed of the Flash.

Hope it's a bit more clear now, don't hesistate to ask if not.
TFM of FutureSoft

IanS

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:27, 07 June 12

Can you explain this a bit more? I understand I can now change chips, but why couldn't I before?

The flash chip as shipped from the manufacturer has the software protection enabled. I pressume any MegaFlash devices from Bryce have the software protection disabled. So with the older Flash software and a new flash chip, it wouldn't send the appropriate disable commands to the chip, and nothing could be written to the chip, unless you put the chip in an eprom programmer and disabled the software protection.

If the flash software now detects the software protection, and disables it before programming a rom, you could put a new flash chip in your megaflash.

I have a home built Flash based romcard which goes a bit further and identifies the the chip and picks the appropriate programming alogrythm. It currently suppports the W29c020 and 39sf020. It should be fairly easy to modify to support xxx040 chips, should just be different page sizes for programming or sector erase.

Does the MegaFlash software detect the end of write using toggle bit, data polling, or just a fixed timeout?

Bryce

The Software doesn't detect whether the SDP is turned on or not, but the new software has a command to turn it off if needed (when you insert a new IC) otherwise it can only work with ICs where the protection is turned off.
Regarding the end of page delay, it just uses a fixed delay, because otherwise you'd need to read the IC, which would require switching the write switch. Pretty pointless when the delay is only 11ms anyway. So it waits the 11ms and then starts to write the next page of data.

Do you have a link to your device? What computer does it work on?

Bryce.

IanS

Quote from: Bryce on 22:32, 07 June 12
Do you have a link to your device? What computer does it work on?
It's for the CPC. There is a pic on the RCM forums, but you need to be a member to view it. (pic hopefully attached here)

It uses D6 to enable the write support, so roms 0-15 are read only, but the software (still needs some work) selects roms 64-79 to enable write support, with Software protection enabled, the chance of accidental overwrite are minimal.

Gryzor

Thanks for the replies, guys, I'm right on track in my "learn something new every day" target :)

IanS, thanks and welcome!!

TFM

"Nearly done" updates uploaded... (MF, SF2, both OS).
TFM of FutureSoft

00WReX

Hi TFM,
          just wondering if it was possible to produce a ROM version of the latest ROManager (or is it now too big for one ROM ?).

I have had v1.35 on my Megaflash since day one and find it really handy in ROM form...v1.44 would also be nice as I understand you fixed / tidied up a few things.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

TFM

Quote from: 00WReX on 08:35, 15 October 12
Hi TFM,
          just wondering if it was possible to produce a ROM version of the latest ROManager (or is it now too big for one ROM ?).

I have had v1.35 on my Megaflash since day one and find it really handy in ROM form...v1.44 would also be nice as I understand you fixed / tidied up a few things.

Cheers,
Shane

Hi! Well, yes... I'm still not completely happy with the ease of usage, but you are right. I'll care about a ROM version ASAP. Means after work if it is not too late. Thanks for the hint, I already forgot about it.
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

For 2 hours I tried to press all in one ROM, it fits. But for some reason it makes problems. Maybe the compression or ????? I try to find the problem...
So sorry, no ROM version right now. But 1.35 should work though.
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Some time more... and it works.....

Now there is the release of the ROManager 1.44 on Disc and ROM and with extra features under FutureOS.
Get it at: FutureOS - The revolutionary UltraOS for the CPC6128 and CPCPlus

Constructive critics is always welcome  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

00WReX

Thanks TFM, much appreciated.
Already got it on the MegaFlash and moved a few ROMs around...works like a charm  :D

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

TFM

My pleasure, sir.

Glad it works now. Had to delete some REMarks in the loader to fit it all in one ROM. But CPCT can do wonders  :)
TFM of FutureSoft