News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

MicroDesign Plus

Started by arnoldemu, 12:22, 03 December 17

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

Hi,

@Comsoft6128 sent me some examples of what Microdesign Plus can do. I think some have been available before, but there may be some not seen before. I scanned it at the highest resolution I could but the images are in two pieces.

Can anyone help join them and rotate them together so they can be uploaded to the wiki?

They are tiff files ~84MB zip uploaded to the url below temporarily. Please don't go mad or it'll upset Markus who hosts the cpctech pages.

http://cpctech.cpc-live.com/mdpexample.zip

I'd appreciate the help fixing them up. Thank you.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

SRS

ComSoft6128

You should see the originals!

Gryzor

Oooh I wonder if the rate still goes - I could get myself quite a few T34s! Did that include shipping too, though?

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:53, 06 December 17
Oooh I wonder if the rate still goes - I could get myself quite a few T34s! Did that include shipping too, though?

Being Irish, I'd go for the tonne of Potatoes instead :)

Bryce.

Gryzor

Yes, but comrade, think of all the potatoes you can produce when the war is over and you convert the proud T34 into a combine tractor! For glory!

Bryce

No time for war, I'm too busy eating spuds :)

Bryce.

ComSoft6128

And this is an example of MicroDesign clip-art, in strip format, from Goldmark Systems printed using a Canon BJ10 EX back in 94. The 9-pin version was used, after modification, in the advert for MD+ in the last issue of Amstrad Computer User - see the image from SRS at the beginning of this thread. This has been scanned in at 300 DPI. To get an idea of how detailed this is, download the file and look at it using Windows Photo Viewer or similar.
Update 5/7/18:
This graphic was also used on the front cover of the October 1995 issue of WACCI magazine, see here:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/File:Wacci_093.jpg

ComSoft6128

This MD file in 64K landscape format dates from 92 and used the Rombo Vidi as the source for the larger images. Printed using the Star LC-10 9 pin printer. Again to view it properly I would suggest using Windows Photo Viewer.

ComSoft6128

64K Portrait format. Original mode 2 image grabbed from TV news broadcast using Rombo Vidi then converted to MD format.

ComSoft6128

This was drawn by my brother while studying at the Glasgow College of Building and Printing back in the early 80's. Converted to MD format by Goldmark Systems or Creative Technology (unfortunately I can't remember which) in 92. The image was based on the Japanese legend of the Kamikaze, the "Divine Wind" which blew an invading Mongol fleet to its destruction in the 13th century. However, the Wikipedia entry for this event shows that only male gods were linked to this.
The original file was too large for a single A4 MD page and was "cut" into two files - KamiA and KamiB. Printed using a Canon BJ10 EX inkjet.

A short video showing this file being loaded into MicroDesign is available here:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/applications/desktop-environment-system-microdesign-youtube-video/

ComSoft6128

Here is the previous image merged with a new MD file to create a magazine ready advert, I think this one was used in WACCI magazine. This is a photocopy, the original is long gone and sadly I have no way of printing off a new copy.

ComSoft6128

64K Portrait format. This was free clip-art to demonstrate some of the fonts available for MD+. Printed using a Star LC-10 9 pin printer. All original MD file names conformed to the Amsdos 8 character limit, the "Wonder of Windows" means I can now expand them to make them a little clearer.

GOB

I think it will be better to post .png than destructive .jpg, no ?

robcfg

Yes, but most probably the forum software will not allow posting such heavy files.

ComSoft6128

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input.
Two questions:

1. What advantage is there in using png instead of jpeg files?

2. Is there a recommended file format for use in the Forum?

Cheers,

Peter

Duke

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 19:57, 24 May 18
1. What advantage is there in using png instead of jpeg files?
PNG use lossless compression.

ComSoft6128

Thanks for the reply Duke.

Would this mean that the png file would be of a visibly higher quality or would the difference be negligible?

Duke

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 21:13, 24 May 18
Thanks for the reply Duke.

Would this mean that the png file would be of a visibly higher quality or would the difference be negligible?
It depends on the compression level of the jpeg file (how big the loss is/smeared pixels). Generally you would have better quality when zooming in on highres PNG images, however it can be negligible in many  cases.

ComSoft6128

This file came from the original release of MicroDesign by Siren Software in 1988. Printed using draft quality. Does anyone know what it is?

Wiki page on Siren can be found here:

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Siren_Software

ComSoft6128

Promotional leaflet for the original MD from Siren Software - 1988. The programmer, Simon Hargreaves, was a winner of one of the Amsoft software competitions - see page 106 of the November 85 issue of Amstrad Computer User.
Most of the MD files in this post are displayed at a low resolution, to view them at a higher resolution download them and use WPV or similar.

ComSoft6128

64K Portrait file included in the WACCI library, from 1991? All images mode 2 from Rombo Vidi. Printed using Star LC-10 9 pin printer. A full page this size could take up to 1 and a 1/2 hours to print. Again best viewed by downloading the file and using Windows Photo Viewer.

ComSoft6128

64K Portrait format. Free clip-art poster to demonstrate what was possible using MD+.
Hardware: 6128 Plus, Rombo Rombox, Rombo Vidi, 3.5 B drive and Star LC-10 printer.
Both these converted Mode 2 images are from history documentaries, probably BBC.
If possible images were grabbed in real time as opposed to videotape, even with a good quality VCR  there was a reduction in quality from tape.
The information for the text underneath these images would have came from the documentaries. However, decades later,  it seems to me that it is extremely unlikely that the Aztecs would have had the time or inclination to depict the downfall of their city-states before the Conquistadores and smallpox wiped them out. Also, the figure on the right looks more like an Aztec warrior/priest/leader than a Spanish soldier. If anyone can throw some light on this image I would appreciate it.

VincentGR

I really want to use this prog but it's kind hard for me.
I'll give it a try again in near future.

ComSoft6128

64K Landscape format. Office use.