News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New ROM for CP/M!!!

Started by TFM, 16:21, 11 June 15

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

This could be the headline of a thread coming up soon.

Meanwhile I need your help. I want to know about your favorite tools for CP/M. So what would you like to have in a kind of ROM disc? The typical tool / utility is only few KB's big, because a ROM has only 16 KB space.

Now tell me what do you like for CP/M?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CraigsBar

Well how many ROMs would be needed to put the CPM version of protext on it ;)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

TFM

Quote from: CraigsBar on 16:23, 11 June 15
Well how many ROMs would be needed to put the CPM version of protext on it ;)

That's actually too big. Maximum size is (currently) about 15.5 KB.[nb]Ok, I have one solution for that. But we can discuss that in another thread. I made a RAM disc dump including CP/M Plus and Prowort. The way to use it is to start FutureOS read that big chunk of data from disc to Expansion RAM, then jump to Amsdos and start CP/M Plus directly from RAM disc. A profile.sub file cares about anything else. So you can load CP/M Plus and Prowort in a very short time. If you're interested I will look it up, it should be somewhere on some disc IIRC.[/nb]
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CraigsBar

OK how about one of the CPM gui's? But I guess they are too big too. Is there a CPM tool akin to Norton commander?

TFM

Yes, NSWEEP (we already got that on a ROM for CP/M though) and there would be Z-Filer which would require the Z-system.

Now here it's really about smaller stuff. I think that BD04.COM would be a good candidate (very good disc check tool). But I'm open for suggestions.

Oh and it should be a single load tool. Not a multiload.  :o
TFM of FutureSoft

CraigsBar

Hmmm, I use nswp frequently, not quite nc tho is it lol. There are some nice tools for putting a clock on the bottom line of the screen, or was that for the pcw only?

TFM

Ok! Anybody else coming up with an idea / request?

TFM of FutureSoft

FloppySoftware

Only 16 KB? Humm... tricky.  ;D
floppysoftware.es < NEW URL!!!
cpm-connections.blogspot.com.es

MiguelSky

A tiny text editor, but I don't know if there is one little enough. But one easy to use, no that madness of ED !!  ???

FloppySoftware

Quote from: MiguelSky on 11:59, 12 June 15
A tiny text editor, but I don't know if there is one little enough. But one easy to use, no that madness of ED !!  ???

Oh, well... te, my CP/M text editor needs only 15 KB on disk:

[Guest@B00:] $ ls -l te.com
w--   15 Kb   117 Rc b00:te      .com

TFM

Such a ROM already exists :-)

Quote from: FloppySoftware on 14:37, 12 June 15
Oh, well... te, my CP/M text editor needs only 15 KB on disk:

[Guest@B00:] $ ls -l te.com
w--   15 Kb   117 Rc b00:te      .com

That's nice! Maybe we can use that one too, is surely has nice features. :-)

Slowly I'm thinking about a ROM generator as second stage of development. First I like to do 1 or 2 ROMs by hand to see how it works.  :)

Also: We can use compression, Almasys talked about a compressor for CP/M creating .COM files. This would be perfect :-)
TFM of FutureSoft

AMSDOS

Perhaps read the manual & use it in conjunction with using ED before attacking ED?

No PIP on ROM?
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

MiguelSky

Quote from: AMSDOS on 00:26, 13 June 15Perhaps read the manual & use it in conjunction with using ED before attacking ED?
I read it. It's a headache to handle :D

@FloppySoftware : te by is a good option (the best for me, I told you) but surely it takes a entire ROM for its.

CraigsBar

Quote from: MiguelSky on 01:18, 14 June 15

@FloppySoftware : te by is a good option (the best for me, I told you) but surely it takes a entire ROM for its.
I always used vde. But it's probably too large for 16k

AMSDOS

Quote from: MiguelSky on 01:18, 14 June 15

I drink too much coke!  :D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

TFM

There are a lot of editors called ED.COM. The one which is already in ROM is from HiSoft IIRC, not the one from the system disc. :)

I didn't get forward with this over the weekend, because I worked all time, let's see what the week will bring.

TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

This totally suxx!!! I can't upload .ROM or .DSK files! And all the text and docs I typed it for you just got lost! So bad luck - I have no time to type it all again.  >:( >:( >:(
TFM of FutureSoft

arnoldemu

Is there a document somewhere which describes the header/structure of a ROM for CP/M?
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TFM

Quote from: arnoldemu on 19:28, 18 June 15
Is there a document somewhere which describes the header/structure of a ROM for CP/M?

Sure there is ... was... right before the forum software killed it. Therefore now only in German...

Enjoy... or wait until I translated it. ;-)

btw. ROM 4 is the one I just made. It contains BD as command.

Use my ROManager 2.07 to show the ROM contents.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Quote from: TFM on 18:21, 18 June 15
This totally suxx!!! I can't upload .ROM or .DSK files! And all the text and docs I typed it for you just got lost! So bad luck - I have no time to type it all again.  >:( >:( >:(

Whoa! A Like from JTMS! That's reason enough to make an English version... working on that now... :)

EDIT: Ok, here I provide the new updated archive with all CP/M ROMs and with German and English documentation.
My own application ROM contains the commands BD  (BD04.COM) and FIND. But it still has 7 KB free space.

TFM of FutureSoft

CraigsBar

I really like that te  from floppy software. Will it fit?

TFM

Quote from: CraigsBar on 19:27, 19 June 15
I really like that te  from floppy software. Will it fit?

I really don't get along with TE. Where is the exit key. And I'm tooo lazy to activate keys ccp ;-)

But I made a ROM for you (it's the 5th Acc Expansion ROM). Please try it.[nb]I did try, but I'm not familiar with TE. Seems to start at least and I can type.[/nb]. There is 1 KB free space left, if you suggest a small prog, then I can put it in for you. Enjoy TE!  :)

TFM of FutureSoft

FloppySoftware

Quote from: TFM on 20:39, 19 June 15

I really don't get along with TE. Where is the exit key. And I'm tooo lazy to activate keys ccp ;-)

Upsss!!!

You're right, no EXIT key on the CPC keyboard, that's inheritage from the PCW version.  ;)

I'll amend it in the next version, I promise.  ;)

But, you need to execute "setkeys keys.ccp" for sure (Hey! It's a CP/M program).  :P

Gryzor

Quote from: TFM on 18:21, 18 June 15

You probably forgot the discussion - it makes no sense uploading full-size files and taking space on the server when things can go down so much...

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:06, 20 June 15

You probably forgot the discussion - it makes no sense uploading full-size files and taking space on the server when things can go down so much...

Are you serious? A 16 KB ROM is a problem, while people upload high res pictures of few MB all the time? You should start saving the Euro instead of the Cents.[nb]And even a DSK is 10% of a picture only[/nb]  :)
TFM of FutureSoft