Non game programs from the eighties and nineties.

Started by ComSoft6128, 18:05, 01 April 18

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

When I bought my first 6128 back in 88 it came with Microfile and Microwrite(?) from Saxon computing both of which were CPM programs. This was my first introduction to serious software on the CPC. Microwrite was soon ditched for the "advanced" Mini Office 2, that wasn't a great program either and eventually I purchased Protext on disc which was a leap forward.

I was wondering about the experience of other CPC users:

1. What was the first serious software you bought?
2. What other programs did you buy? - EG. Tasword, Brunword, Discology, Masterfile,     
    Advanced Art Studio, Stop Press, Small Traders pack, Romdos, Parados etc.
3. Did you buy any hardware/peripherals?
4. What were these products like to use?

Cheers,

Peter

EgoTrip

I remember playing with Melbourne Draw, and The Music System. I can't really remember MD much, as I never really used it after I got the AA tape with G Paint on it. TMS was really good, it's a shame you could only play the music in the software.

tjohnson

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 18:05, 01 April 18
When I bought my first 6128 back in 88 it came with Microfile and Microwrite(?) from Saxon computing both of which were CPM programs. This was my first introduction to serious software on the CPC. Microwrite was soon ditched for the "advanced" Mini Office 2, that wasn't a great program either and eventually I purchased Protext on disc which was a leap forward.

I was wondering about the experience of other CPC users:

1. What was the first serious software you bought?
2. What other programs did you buy? - EG. Tasword, Brunword, Discology, Masterfile,     
    Advanced Art Studio, Stop Press, Small Traders pack, Romdos, Parados etc.
3. Did you buy any hardware/peripherals?
4. What were these products like to use?

Cheers,

Peter

I remember my dad getting mini office on cassette for the 464, I didn't have a clue what it did but liked the cover.  I bought an electric studio light pen and remember drawing a picture of slimmer (the green ghost) from ghostbusters with it, then I bought a genius mouse.  I think we also had tasword, as I remember doing homework on the Amstrad and printing it out on the dotmatrix.

ComSoft6128

Egotrip - Yes the reviews for TMS and the upgrade, The Advanced Music System, were excellent. In fact Rob Baxter published and sold classical music compilations for it. I thought that someone had written a program to play the files independently of the main program but having looked thru all the back issues of ACU I have been unable to find it. Bah Humbug.

Tjohnson - I had the DMP200 - that was a noisy beast, should have came with ear protectors.
I also had a light pen for a while (can't remember which one) and quickly ditched it as useless, however, 25 years later I think it might have been the case that,"A poor workman blames his tools"!

So what about France, Greece and Germany?
Discology made it to the UK but I can't think of anything else that made the trip.
What local software was produced?

Gryzor, you didn't spend all your CPC years playing .........................Gryzor? :D

Cheers,

Peter

mr_lou

Semi-related: I've been trying to find an application I remember my grandmother used on her CPC464.
Been browsing cpc-power many times in vain.

All I remember about it was that it used standard yellow on blue, I think in a MODE 2, otherwise MODE 1.
And I think it was some kind of personality analyzer, which asked a bunch of questions in order to figure out what kind of person you are.
It was in English.

Does anyone have a clue which program that is?

Apologies if it's out of scope with the topic.

ComSoft6128

Hi mr_lou,

Now the good news, it was reviewed in one of the the issues of Amstrad Computer User or Amstrad Action that I have been working thru here.

Now the bad news, I haven't a clue what is was called or which issue it was in.
I have finished working thru all the copies of ACU and I am up to issue 20 of AA. If you do look for it I would start with AA as that might (might!) save you some time.

Cheers,

Peter

mr_lou

Hm well, I don't have access to any of those magazines, except what's online here at the CPCwiki - and as far as I can see, a lot is missing there.

But I will remember this for the future.  :)

Thanks!

ComSoft6128

I downloaded them from the Wiki or the Internet Archive, can't remember which at the moment but wherever they came from they are complete.  :D

Cheers,

Peter

mr_lou

Oh.
I just looked at the CPCwiki, which seems to have some pages missing here and there.
But yea, I found it here too just now:
https://archive.org/details/amstrad-action-magazine

So will browse through them there.  :)

Gryzor

I did have a bunch of Greek educational software - school curriculum stuff: physics, mathematics, that sort of stuff. Must've been around 1986 or 87 or so.

I also used Easy Amsword for silly stuff :D

Does Discology count? ;)

ComSoft6128

Hi mr_lou,

Found this in the April 88 edition of Amstrad Action, page 30:

"The Real You?
Although Collins have stopped publishing The Real You, it is the only other product to have appeared on the CPC that allows you to discover your IQ and personality. The Real You provides 16 tests covering work, intellect, personality, lovelife, anxiety and views. If you want to know whether you're a true snob a latent radical or a good lover then this could be the package for you. The problem is finding it. The murkiest depths of computer stores is a good starting point. Back in 1985 it cost £14.95 on cassette: if you do locate a copy don't pay over the odds."

The product being reviewed was the "Personal Excellence Package" which runs under CPM so I think "The Real You" is more likely to be the program that you were looking for.

Cheers,

Peter

mr_lou

Points for efforts!
I looked it up at cpc-power.com
http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=6188

Sadly I don't recall any of those screenshots, but will check it out later to see if I can spot a screen that I do remember.  :)

Thanks!

skylas

I remember a programme that was used for betting matters. Probably used from lotteries, i remember that i personally had used it, i had it but i am not sure if i still have the disk and that it is not damaged

You can find some info here, look for HITPACK13. The game was named maybe PRO-PO OR PROPO13 (in greek ΠΡΟ-ΠΟ as you can see in the image of the link)

http://www.iamretro.gr/greek-software-houses-in-80s-and-90s-the-early-days/

Finally i found it here (propo)

https://sites.google.com/site/theosbazaar/Home/spectrum-programs/download-spectrum-programs-by-theos
Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET ON AMSTRAD CPC!
PENALTY KICKS!
CAPITAL QUIZ!
CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition)
HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ)
HEART CHASER 1,2,3!
BARBOUTI!
STROOPIE!
BUDRUMI!
ART WAR!
BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!
AMSTABOO!
RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE!

ComSoft6128

Thanks skylas,

I looked at both, interesting.

Cheers,

Peter

mr_lou

Had a chance to check out "The Real You" now.

It's not the one I remember.

The screen resembled more that of Amsback (http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=5111).
Except it was in MODE 1. But otherwise something similar, with the screen divided into sections like that, and also with blue background and yellow font.

That's all I remember.
My mind may be playing a trick on me though.