The Desktop Environment System - Disc(k) and File functions

Started by ComSoft6128, 06:39, 29 June 19

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

"One step forward, two steps back"

This truncated (should have been at least an hour long) video was intended to show the transfer of programs (Speaking Eliza, BBC BASIC and 3 Typing Tutors) from long term storage on two 3.5" Drive B Romdos D20 disks to three different User areas on a 3" Drive A disc - the programs were then to be Run from each of the User areas and also Listed.

The Problem

The 6128 Plus was powered using the original monitor which also provided power to the 3.5" drive using a Y shaped cable.
With that setup I've had persistent (but erratic) problems with Drive B locking - trying to access Drive B often results in the AMSDOS "Bad Command" error message being displayed.  A power problem? Wasn't sure but purchased two of these to see if they would make a difference:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/desktop-power-supply/7212168/

Did this help?

Yes and no
On the positive side - it is now possible to see the default DES white screen which the OSSC was unable to display previously :D
                              - the "shimmering" effect when accessing drives has disappeared :D

On the negative side - the Plus resets itself (an unwelcome first) at 8:43 >:(
                               - a small artifact appears in the top left hand corner of the DES screen at 11:25 >:(

- DES is unable to log Drive B at 11:56 which effectively ends the video >:(

However, knowing that the power supply to the Plus and Disc drive are now 100% tends to point at a Rombox problem, which is some small progress.

Anyway enough of the video remains to show some of the Disc and files function so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPm2ncsvT3g&t=20s

remax

I really like the design of this GUI...

It's simple but pretty and effective.
Brain Radioactivity

ComSoft6128

Thank you @remax,

The DES desktop was deliberately designed using a minimalist approach - not WYSIWYG but WYSIWYN (What You See Is What You NEED) - so no unnecessary screen clutter (flashing colours, real time clock, excess text, multiple menus etc) on the desktop itself - these may be visually "exciting" but don't contribute to the functionality of the program.

Cheers,

Peter

Gryzor

Like it quite a bit, too. I remember checking it out back in the day - not immensely usable with a joystick, but it looked really nice and futuristic...

ComSoft6128

Hi Gryzor,

Mouse or Joystick control....Mmm....never liked either when using DES - too imprecise. I personally use the cursor keys for most functions and where possible just the shortcut keys - DES was designed around the reality that CPC mice users were a minority and keyboard input would be the only method available for most users.

Cheers,

Peter

Gryzor