News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New ROM for CP/M!!!

Started by TFM, 16:21, 11 June 15

Previous topic - Next topic

merlinkv

Quote from: CraigsBar on 16:43, 11 June 15
OK how about one of the CPM gui's? But I guess they are too big too. Is there a CPM tool akin to Norton commander?

One tool like Norton Commander in rom will be great ......  :)

TFM

Name it and if possible I will put it into a ROM. But file-size limitation is 15 KB (you can compress it though!). And if it needs to load other parts and specifically targets disc, then there could be problems. Well, just post a DSK with your candidate program here and I see what I can do.
Do you know ZFILER.COM for the Z-system under CP/M? Take a look, maybe it's "Norton" enough.  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

merlinkv

ZFILER.COM ??

I will try and comment later.

Thanks @TFM  :)

CloudStrife

Quote from: khaz on 17:34, 03 February 16
I'm not specially attached to PIP though, I don't like how from and to are swapped, and I don't understand why it's not simply called COPY or CP. (And it should understand relative paths, and the wildcard character should take both the name and the extension, and etc.)

It's a very standard way to do like this: In nearly all assembly language it's destination, source. (Z80, "intel syntax" x86, ARM, AVR...)
And very close to variable assignement in a lot a language (foo = 42 in C... bar := 84 in Pascal...)
The only one I know to use the other way is COBOL (MOVE foo TO bar)...
In R you can use the two way (foo -> bar, bar <- foo)
(Well, maybe FORTH but everything is backward :) (RPN is fun :P )

Quote from: FloppySoftware on 21:33, 03 February 16

That's sounds very Unixy to me.  :laugh:

CP/M has its roots.  ;)

Well, on contrary, for exemple the standard assembly notation on unix system are MOV src, dest... (AT&T syntax), (same order as PDP standard assembly language notation...)

khaz

Quote from: CloudStrife on 20:21, 04 March 16It's a very standard way to do like this: In nearly all assembly language it's destination, source.

Oh, I know nothing about that, it probably has very good reasons to be so in an assembly language. I was just commenting jokingly how for a DOS command line / terminal tool meant for the end user, it doesn't make much sense. Microsoft COPY is source,dest, so is Linux CP.

FloppySoftware

Quote from: CloudStrife on 20:21, 04 March 16
Well, on contrary, for exemple the standard assembly notation on unix system are MOV src, dest... (AT&T syntax), (same order as PDP standard assembly language notation...)

I was not talking about the order of source and destination arguments, but about the other missed features (cp name, relative paths, enhanced wildcards):

QuoteI do miss the ease of use of just doing PIP C:=A:*.* .  I'm not specially attached to PIP though, I don't like how from and to are swapped, and I don't understand why it's not simply called COPY or CP. (And it should understand relative paths, and the wildcard character should take both the name and the extension, and etc.)

If I mentioned that CP/M has its roots, it was precisely due to the PIP name: Peripheral Interchange Program; CP/M has nothing in common with Unix.
floppysoftware.es < NEW URL!!!
cpm-connections.blogspot.com.es