News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

SID tracker / player on CPC (non plus)

Started by BSC, 13:35, 05 November 13

Previous topic - Next topic

sigh

Quote from: BSC on 00:01, 06 February 14
The sna (snapshot) file should work with most emulators. Typing run + enter after loading should give you the tracker.

Hey Baby! Listen to my Face! :D 

I don't know.. Even though there's not much animation in Rythm Tengoku I think that would be kind of hard to do. The player needs a lot of CPU time and you had to interweave
all your game logic,
display routines, keyboard and joystick scanning with that. Not really impossible, but it would require you to think and code quite differently from what you might be used to.
I must admit though, that I have not yet really tried anything like that - even demo effects. And on top of that, I am not an expert in game creation.

Are you planning to write such a game?

I would definitely like to make such a game after I finish the others.

I got the sna file working - thanks!
Any chance of a little youtube tutorial? :)

Gryzor

I would really think that until the algorithms are finished, building the UI/help/whatever comes a distant second...

BSC

Quote from: sigh on 00:22, 06 February 14
I would definitely like to make such a game after I finish the others.

I got the sna file working - thanks!
Any chance of a little youtube tutorial? :)

When will that be? I think it would be a cool project to try to integrate the AYAY player with a game.

A tutorial is actually a cool idea! Have never done something like that, though. And it is quite unlikely
that this would happen in the foreseeable future.. But I'll keep it in my mind :)
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

sigh

Quote from: BSC on 12:00, 07 February 14

When will that be? I think it would be a cool project to try to integrate the AYAY player with a game.

A tutorial is actually a cool idea! Have never done something like that, though. And it is quite unlikely
that this would happen in the foreseeable future.. But I'll keep it in my mind :)

That would happen after the beat em up and the football game is done.

I did open a thread over a year ago about creating a music game for the CPC:

Music/Rhythm Games: Viable on CPC?

So with your software I guess it would be a case of producing the music first and then fitting everything else around it.

A tutorial would be very useful for us, or even just a video of one of your clips being created on the fly.

BSC

Quote from: sigh on 14:38, 07 February 14
That would happen after the beat em up and the football game is done.
I did open a thread over a year ago about creating a music game for the CPC:
Music/Rhythm Games: Viable on CPC?
So with your software I guess it would be a case of producing the music first and then fitting everything else around it.

You seem to be making a lot of games :) Anywhere on the interwebs where I can see / download them?
And I hope you are not planning or hoping for sampled music like in the example videos you posted over there?
Like, with speech / singing? That would not be possible with the current version of AYAY. I was thinking about
using phonemes (a bit like in this oldskool speech rsx extension which sounded quite good) as wave forms
instead of the basic forms like triangle, sine etc. But that's a completely different story and I have currently no
clue whether that would be feasible at all - I might be dreaming away here ;)

Anyway: I think it should be possible to combine those kind of games with the AYAY engine. It could become a
quite painful developing process, though.. But we are developing on the CPC .. in 2014 .. we like pain, right? :D
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

BSC

Dear folks! I asked gryzor to split the topic and move everything speech related into a new topic "make the CPC speak and sing" in the programming category.

So we can keep this awesome idea alive but separate from SID stuff.

And btw: I would REALLY like to know what the 26 ppl that downloaded my last preview think about and - especially - do not like about it.
There must be something like that, otherwise there should be much more comments. I am aware that the interface is really lacking still,
but what exactly made you not enjoy it would be really valuable to know!

sigh

Looking at the manual on the 1st page and ctrl y to playback, but how do you record? (I need to rebind my f keys as all the options come up on winape..)

BSC

Quote from: sigh on 18:11, 10 February 14
Looking at the manual on the 1st page and ctrl y to playback, but how do you record? (I need to rebind my f keys as all the options come up on winape..)

ctrl Y toggles AY playback. There's no way to actually record (live and real time), but when in track/edit mode,
each not you play is stored in the current track.

What do you mean concerning the f-keys?

There's a new version of the tracker btw, I just have to power up my Mac and upload it one day.

Devilmarkus

Speaking about singing computers:
This demo was realized on an unexpanded VIC 20:

Robotic Liberation by PWP (VIC-20)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

McKlain

PWP has a few more demos like that on the Vic-20. Their stuff is more video art than demo  ;D

fano

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 13:20, 27 February 14
Speaking about singing computers:
This demo was realized on an unexpanded VIC 20:

Robotic Liberation by PWP (VIC-20)

/bender rodriguez likes this

(me not, i really love this)
"NOP" is the perfect program : short , fast and (known) bug free

Follow Easter Egg products on Facebook !

BSC

Any news from you, cherished users of the Amstrad? Any reviews on AA? A reference in the demoscene or Oscar awards?
Has anyone tried to create a tune with the tracker?

It seems that this topic is dying of an poisonous amalgam of neglect and distraction. Quite sad .. Especially when I see how
much activity is on other, mostly fight-based, threads ..

Devilmarkus

Quote from: BSC on 10:00, 11 March 14
It seems that this topic is dying of an poisonous amalgam of neglect and distraction. Quite sad .. Especially when I see how

I'd guess,  the people are awaiting news from you ;)
more demos, more muzak, more fun ;)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

sigh

Quote from: BSC on 10:00, 11 March 14
Any news from you, cherished users of the Amstrad? Any reviews on AA? A reference in the demoscene or Oscar awards?
Has anyone tried to create a tune with the tracker?

I will be using it as I would like some music for the menu of the beat em up, but it will be a while as I'm still sorting out the sprites. I am also still finding it difficult to use when I tried a few weeks ago. But it's probably because I've never really used a tracker before and I'm not use to the interface.

If you ever have time to post a step by step video tutorial like "Creating your first tune" that would be really cool.

BSC

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 11:30, 11 March 14
I'd guess,  the people are awaiting news from you ;)
more demos, more muzak, more fun ;)

too bad there's no way to dislike a post ..

BSC

Quote from: sigh on 11:43, 11 March 14
I will be using it as I would like some music for the menu of the beat em up, but it will be a while as I'm still sorting out the sprites. I am also still finding it difficult to use when I tried a few weeks ago. But it's probably because I've never really used a tracker before and I'm not use to the interface.

Yes, I know it's not very self explanatory, but I was hoping that at least for people who are used to trackers (especially on other platforms)
would not find it too difficult to try it out. You have seen my other posts explaining the screen layout, different areas and the keyboard layout?
Was this of any help or was it still difficult and if yes, why exactly?

Quote from: sigh on 11:43, 11 March 14
If you ever have time to post a step by step video tutorial like "Creating your first tune" that would be really cool.

That sounds like a really good idea (and someone else has already suggested so), problem is that I currently don't really find the time.
And as it would be the first time ever that I recorded a tutorial video it would also likely take me some extra time to do.. But I'll keep it
in my mind, promised!

McKlain

When I load the sna file into Winape, I see this. Is it supposed to be like that (with the "graphics garbage") or am I having problems with the machine configuration?

Also, are there any keys to insert spaces between the notes?

BSC

Quote from: McKlain on 10:13, 12 March 14
When I load the sna file into Winape, I see this. Is it supposed to be like that (with the "graphics garbage") or am I having problems with the machine configuration?

Well.. The garbage is kind of a left-over from a scrolling bug that's there when you move around in the track editor (the one to the right).
Which I did to create the demo track which is part of that snapshot.. The other garbage (i.e. the diagonal line) is the current waveform
being drawn into the track editor, which was added later (and I was admittetly too lazy to move it over). Sorry!

Quote from: McKlain on 10:13, 12 March 14
Also, are there any keys to insert spaces between the notes?

Not really.. It's supposed to work differently: Each note has a duration (the 1st column after the note-octave pair) and thus you don't need (or rather
should not have) to add spaces which act to extend the duration of the previous note, like in most other trackers. There's currently no support to
silence / release a note before the next one is played, i.e. a pause or key-off command, but I was planning to add that. So for now each note would
have to have a duration that incorporates any pause between it and it's successor. Does that make sense?

McKlain

I understand. It's different from the usual tracking method I'm used to. A mix between tracking and writing on a pentagram. Or a piano roll.

BSC

Quote from: McKlain on 11:50, 12 March 14
I understand. It's different from the usual tracking method I'm used to. A mix between tracking and writing on a pentagram. Or a piano roll.

Writing on a pentagram? What is that supposed to mean? Anyway, you are right, it's different but owing to how the tracks are layed out in memory.
I was thinking of making the displayed height of a row dependent on it's duration. Another idea was to display empty rows (reflecting the duration
of the previous note) to the user even though internally there are no empty rows. Entering a note in any of the empty rows would then insert a new
note and decrease the duration of the previous note accordingly.. Any other ideas?

McKlain

Sorry, I meant staff. I was using the spanish word for it  :P

Staff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia(music)

A graphical representation of the length would be cool. Like blocks on top of each other.

BSC

Here's another update with a couple of bugs fixed. I think I'll also provide a help page somewhere on the interwebz .. or here in the forum maybe. We'll see.

BSC

And another small demo track I made with an older version of the tracker. Just so you can have a listen.

BSC

Quote from: McKlain on 12:52, 12 March 14
Sorry, I meant staff. I was using the spanish word for it  :P

Staff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia(music)

A graphical representation of the length would be cool. Like blocks on top of each other.

Oh, yes, ok :) I was thinking of making the height of the text row dependent on it length, just as a means of visual representation
and additionally to displaying the length as a number (which you have to be able to read/write anyway) ..

I am not working on it right now (again - the only constant thing about this project is that I am hopping on and off), but I will collect
a list of keys per function / area and put it online so you don't have to scrape this thread every time you want to use it (which I bet
is almost every day! :D)

Did you try any of the two new snapshots? Maybe even tried to compose a bit?

BSC

Ok folks! No more excuses as of now! There's a manual in a new thread:

Klicken Sie here