Small PD Graphic display files from the Eighties/Nineties

Started by ComSoft6128, 16:30, 15 April 19

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

Small (1K to 3K) BASIC files from various PD libraries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhLWM927eW4

AMSDOS

I recognise the programme called 464TYPE.BAS running at 6:50..8:47, which is the 464 version of 3D Hidden Line Removal Graph by John Valentine, published in AA33 (June 1988)  :D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

ComSoft6128

Catalogue of PD Graphics disk - 176 files - 16 of which will be shown in 3 videos over the next few days. Each of the BASIC programs will Run for a few minutes and then listed for examination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2_aO8Ypgo

ComSoft6128

Video No. 2
Four BASIC programs - Eye (your CPC is keeping tabs on you), Loopy, Mosaic and Nudenoir. The programs are Run and then listed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7I6O9MJi-M

AMSDOS

I immediately recognise Mosaic which was from AA45 Type-Ins.
I've also recoded it to work in Hisoft Pascal 4t which draws it at a blistering pace.
Eye was written by Sean McManus was published in AA84 Type-ins.
Loopy appears to be 3D Loops from AA17 Type-Ins.

Following our recent discussions regarding the BASIC 1.1 FILL command, I had some success converting a 10-Liner called House from April '91 issue of ACU to work on the 464. The good news is it's still within the 10 Line Limit. I posted the results in an article on my LinkedIn page.

Your Computer Programs

ComSoft6128

Thanks for the info AMSDOS,

Videos 3 and 4 will be along in a day or so, if you have any background on the programs featured in them that would also be appreciated.

Cheers,

Peter

Nich

Well, I think the NUDENOIR file wouldn't have featured as a type-in listing in any British CPC magazine! :laugh:

ComSoft6128

You're right there Nich, Amstrad Computer User and Amstrad Action were not known for their "Page 3 lovelies" :D

Now for Video No. 3
Five programs featured - Planets (Sloooow - forward to 4:10 to get to the end product), Poly1 (line 205 contains a statement I've never seen in a BASIC program before), Pyramid, Reaction and Rebound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_2oph88lO8

AMSDOS

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 06:05, 07 May 19
You're right there Nich, Amstrad Computer User and Amstrad Action were not known for their "Page 3 lovelies" :D 

I only remember The Surprise Listing from Issue 1 of what would become ACU. I'm unsure if any of our Junior Jotters left any Surprise Listings in The Amstrad User magazine, but there was a Drawing Program available for anyone looking to draw genitalia.  :picard:

Now for Video No. 3Five programs featured - Planets (Sloooow - forward to 4:10 to get to the end product), Poly1 (line 205 contains a statement I've never seen in a BASIC program before), Pyramid, Reaction and Rebound.

Planets came from AA40 Type-Ins, I don't know anything about it, only that it made me check another program called Celestial Bodies from AA27 Type-Ins. That program was Republished by Nick Hutton in the Jan 1991 Issue of ACU titled "Let there be light (and gravity)", in Nich's ACU notes the 2 listings are compared, the ACU version comes with a little Menu to select what you want to do, I can see where many of the similarities come into play, the Nick Hutton version also has M/C routine along with Source Code following the Listing, which isn't in the original, I guess the main problem with the Nick Hutton version being the original coder wasn't acknowledge.

I'm unsure where Poly1 comes from, but it looks impressive. I looked it up on CPC-Power and they have put it around Dec '88/Jan '89, source code confirms it, but it's nowhere to be found on the CPCWiki AA Type-Ins pages on either Dec '88 or Jan '89. EDIT:For some reason this program has been overlooked on the CPCWiki Page, I found it hidden away in AA40 along with the remainder of the Solar System program.

Pyramid is also another AA Type-Ins Issue 16.

Your Computer Programs

ComSoft6128

This short video shows the listing for the screenshot utility "Breaker", this version by Alastair Scott.  Unfortunately it is incompatible with the OSSC meaning that, for the moment, I am unable to show it in operation. It is relevant to this thread because I found it essential in capturing the graphics created by some of the programs previously show. The captured screens could then be loaded into Advanced Art Studio or converted to MicroDesign format.
I can't remember if I ever tried it with games so I'm not sure if it would work with (some) of them.

Would any programmers like to comment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KudqPqY_Q4Q

http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=staff&stafftype=1&lenom=Alastair%20SCOTT

AMSDOS

I'm somewhat puzzled where or when this was published despite it clearly stating it was July '87 and based on a small programme RpM created June '87 AA. All I could find there was an Assembly Routine in Hackers Only (in the Hot Tips section of AA21) with the same Address Origin as the programme here which is used to setup new commands for BASIC, I'm unsure if it relates to this file though, merely that it's from that issue, AA state with that though that the M/C needs modifying to operate on the 464/664/6128.

It wouldn't work with Commercial Games as they turn off the Interrupts, I'm unsure if it would work with something like Space Storm II, maybe worth a try. It just seems limited that you can only take one image at a time. Regarding if it could be used with Advanced Art Studio, again I'm unsure, I think from memory AAS saves its Palettes with the extension ".PAL", I'm not sure if that extension needs to be that in order for AAS to load and use the correct Palette.

Your Computer Programs

ComSoft6128

Video No. 4
BASIC files displayed/listed:
Revcirc, RSPG, Scenery (what scenery?), Shape3D, Shapes, Spiral and Startrek (nothing to get excited about).

Shapes and Spiral will probably have to be revisited in a later video as I forgot to soft reset between programs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-j32DeYOhM

AMSDOS

* RSPG - Is Random Symmetrical Patterns (unsure what the 'G' stands for - Generator?) from AA21 Type-Ins.

Scenery looks like something from the TRON film.  :D

* Shapes - Is Shapemaker from AA20 Type-ins.

Spiral is very slow, maybe a good one to code with Hisoft Pascal 4t, I don't understand why it's slow though.  :(

* Star Trek - Is Wander through Space from AA16 Type-Ins, it too takes a while to setup before travelling through space (INK Palette Rotation style).

A few of these are using INK Palette Rotation with Revcirc, RSPG, Scenery, Star Trek for example to Animate (give the appearance of movement) for effect. Quite popular to do as well since Locomotive BASIC performed it well.

Your Computer Programs

ComSoft6128

Thanks for the links AMSDOS,

I definitely have one or two of the other programs shown on the pages.
Re. Spiral - I forgot to reset the 6128 between programs - would the fact that the previous program was still in memory and had been Run have an effect on the speed?, could certain values/parameters have been defined (by the previous program) that would alter performance?

Cheers,

Peter

AMSDOS

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 14:40, 09 May 19
Thanks for the links AMSDOS,

I definitely have one or two of the other programs shown on the pages.
Re. Spiral - I forgot to reset the 6128 between programs - would the fact that the previous program was still in memory and had been Run have an effect on the speed?, could certain values/parameters have been defined (by the previous program) that would alter performance?

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I don't understand what's happening, there seems to be a number of different things happening despite running through the same core code.

I entered it in CPCBox the Online CPC Emulator and this was my result:

I wouldn't of thought having another program running previously would play a performance on Speed, I tried other things like "RAD" and "DEG" as they play a role for the COS() and SIN() functions, but had no joy there. What baffles me is how your slowly generated Spiral is neatly filled in (no gaps between the Red & Yellow), unlike the output from the Emulator which produces something more traditional to how the Amstrad draws circular objects. The drawing of it too ran normally, but I didn't have anything running before it, so I don't know why that was occurring in your situation :(

Your Computer Programs

ComSoft6128

Hi AMSDOS,

Cheers for the screen-shot,
I think I remember this program now, I used it (25 years ago  :o ) to create the images below which are 17K screens (grabbed using Breaker.bas) then converted to MicroDesign format.
On Sunday I will look at this program again, then try to replicate the effect by running Shapes.bas first and see what happens.

ComSoft6128

AMSDOS

Initially I thought it might of been the Arrays that Shapes sets up being the culprit, I initially tested this with CLEAR which reverted Spiral back into its old self, but CLEAR as I've recently encountered from the Destination Saturn game, does many things.
To properly test, I loaded the Shapes programme, ran it and then used "ERASE co" and "ERASE si" to clear those Arrays and then load Spiral, but that didn't change the outcome (still producing that FILLed look).
I then looked at ORIGIN because I noticed both programmes were using it, I tested this by resetting the computer, loading Spiral and then placing the ORIGIN from Shapes prior to the ORIGIN in Spiral, but that didn't change a thing (producing that Quick Wired Effect look).
And then finally I noticed Shapes was using DEG to calculate in, for some reason I thought Spiral was using it too, but when I checked I couldn't find any!  :o Normally the default BASIC refers to is RAD for calculating in Radians, however when DEG is used the computer switches to calculating in DEGrees - the classic examples from the Manuals being the Circle graphics, switching from RAD to DEG the Circle is Drawn differently. I simply found by adding line "11 DEG", the drawing is transformed, but according to my Manual, simply loading or running another file should return BASIC to RADian mode. ??? (the same occurs when NEW & CLEAR are also used, which is why Spiral was running normally after I used CLEAR, but I'm not sure why it's not happening when LOAD"filename or RUN"filename are used). 

Your Computer Programs

ComSoft6128

Cheers AMSDOS,

A question:

Could the values manually input for shapes (6,6,2,2,2,2) have some effect here?

I see that the initial design that shapes produces takes up the usual 17K screen area but after the above values are entered the new design is tiny in comparison.

Unfortunately I can't check this myself until the beginning of next week but just a thought.

AMSDOS

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 17:32, 16 May 19
Cheers AMSDOS,

A question:

Could the values manually input for shapes (6,6,2,2,2,2) have some effect here?

I don't think so, it seems to be an extraordinary set of circumstances has occurred to get the Spiral graphic occurring that way.
Originally I said that I was trying RAD/DEG and had no luck, I think this was because I wasn't adding DEG or RAD to the code. However once I added line 11 DEG, I reproduced that slow filled in Graphic which you had after immediately running SPIRAL.BAS after SHAPE.BAS.
The extraordinary circumstances I raised has to do with how the Graphic programmes were loaded, I did some tests which seem to confirm what happened.

The default in BASIC is set to RAD mode, this can be tested with print cos(1), which prints 0.540302306. Change this to DEG mode and then print cos(1) and you get 0.999847695. If you RUN"SHAPES.BAS, exit it after it's little demo, PRINT COS(1), it should still be 0.999847695. Now RUN"SPIRAL.BAS and it will produce that Slow Filled in Spiral effect (which is doing it while the computer is in DEG mode). If you exit that and then RUN it again, I'm guessing the programme will revert to the other Fast Spiral, this is because there's no DEG in it and when a RUN command is issued the BASIC will defer back to the default, which is RAD mode. For some reason when working from one programme to the next, if RUN"<filename.BAS> is used, the computer will simply load and run the file, but not alter any of the settings, this is what I believe has happened here. If you had used <ESCape> from the SHAPE.BAS file, and LOAD"SPIRAL.BAS it would have loaded into Memory and required RUN, the programme should of run normally instead of what you had.
In my Manual it states that the use of NEW or CLEAR would return some of those defaults which includes RAD mode if it was in DEG mode. Obviously they don't return everything to normal such as screen inks or even Key Commands (if there are any), though my Manual also includes LOAD and RUN. This doesn't seem to run true for LOAD as I entered the machine into DEG mode PRINT COS(1) and then LOADed a file, after that I PRINT COS(1), which gave the same result for DEG mode. For the RUN command, if the programme has no DEG in it, the RUN command will defer to RAD mode, but this doesn't seem to be the case with RUN"filename.BAS, but in your case you've been filming this on a real CPC6128 I assume and since you RUN"SHAPE.BAS followed by RUN"SPIRAL.BAS" seems to be suggesting the manual maybe incorrect - certainly if LOAD"SPIRAL.BAS" doesn't change the DEG mode from the SHAPE.BAS programme, I guess have a look when you can.

Your Computer Programs

ComSoft6128

Thanks AMSDOS for that very detailed explanation.
I will have a quick check when next back in Glasgow and see what the result is.

Now for PD graphics video 5.

Five BASIC programs this time.

1. Surfaces.bas - this produces a pseudo 3D image which seems vaguely familiar. Unless you are in a masochistic frame of mind I would suggest you forward to 20:35 when it completes the design :o    (starts at 1:30)

2. Strobe.bas - reminds me of mosiac.bas from a previous video.   (starts at 22:35)

3. Swirl.bas   (starts at 24:20)

4. Tipple.bas   (starts at 25:50)

5. Torus.bas - again best to forward this one (to 44:15) - unless you would like to wait 17 minutes to see the end product - I forgot to List this program but have done so in video 6.   (starts at 27:06)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xQrHoNvPnU&t=88s

If anyone would like copies of these programs please send a 3" or 3.5" disk and a SAE and I will get them back in about a week to ten days.

AMSDOS

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 16:07, 17 May 19
Thanks AMSDOS for that very detailed explanation.
I will have a quick check when next back in Glasgow and see what the result is.

Now for PD graphics video 5.

Five BASIC programs this time.

1. Surfaces.bas - this produces a pseudo 3D image which seems vaguely familiar. Unless you are in a masochistic frame of mind I would suggest you forward to 20:35 when it completes the design :o    (starts at 1:30)

I'm not familiar with this one at all and from the looks has come from an Australian magazine, though occasionally the UK mags would of had something from Australia or New Zealand as well. I guess if it was out of a Computing With The Amstrad magazine that would of stated it, but it hasn't, so it maybe from the Aussie Magazine 'The Amstrad User".

Quote2. Strobe.bas - reminds me of mosiac.bas from a previous video.   (starts at 22:35)

Yes that's because Strobe.bas and Mosiac.bas are from the same author and published together June 1989 issue of AA (Issue 45).

Quote3. Swirl.bas   (starts at 24:20)

I didn't recognise this one at all and then when it was LISTed, was surprised to see it came from AA8 May '86 (they had quite a few graphical demos in them early issues that it becomes difficult to remember them all).

Quote4. Tipple.bas   (starts at 25:50)

I'm not familiar with this Demo, but it reminded me of another which was published in AA58 called Twister. In that you can select to either go up or down the screen. The effects are similar, but the Source Code is anything but.

Quote5. Torus.bas - again best to forward this one (to 44:15) - unless you would like to wait 17 minutes to see the end product - I forgot to List this program but have done so in video 6.   (starts at 27:06)

I remember this one being in AA, but had to hunt it down to find it in AA14 Nov. '86, this is really cool and couldn't believe how short the code is. It looks like a good one to convert into Hisoft Pascal which would help Draw up the effects quicker.

Your Computer Programs

ComSoft6128

PD graphics video 6.

In the Protext file I use "Sanatised", dear dear - really should have used Prospell!
Also, the catalogue at the end of the video for User area 3 shows what looks like the software for the Rombo Vidi Digitiser but I'll check that out in a few days.

Four BASIC programs in this  video.

1 Torus (again) this time Listed and I agree it creates a really nice effect.

2. Triangles (A.k.a. Tunnel)

3. Twister

4. Twofor1 (Unusual name, I wonder why it was called this)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaVyN-Ihgg8&feature=youtu.be

AMSDOS

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 17:35, 18 May 19

1 Torus (again) this time Listed and I agree it creates a really nice effect.

I spent part of yesterday coding this one with Hisoft Pascal, the Drawing takes around 6-7 minutes before doing it's dazzling INK palette rotation.

Quote2. Triangles (A.k.a. Tunnel)

Comes from AA21 Type-Ins, which was a bit of a Type-Ins bumper issue with Graphical, some Games, a Disc Filecopy programme and some Character Font programmes for Italic, Bold & Thin Fonts.

Quote3. Twister

Posted about this one too soon. What I didn't say about it was I made some modifications to it and posted it in here, after I created a Smooth Physical Scroll to Roll the Screen up, I can't remember if I saved a version which altered the colour of it, I just remember having something like that which created an interesting effect.

Quote4. Twofor1 (Unusual name, I wonder why it was called this)

Yes, this is a 10-Liner published in ACU June 1989 (Issue 55 for those counting) under the Title "Two For the Price of One" (or "Two for the Price" if you follow Bill Hamleys  name of it. It consists of 2 Demos, the one shown in your video is the "Dragon" Demo. The other is called "C", but what I cannot work out is if you need to REM line 80 to get the "C" demo, from the looks of it, it looks like it does as the comment is made at the end of Line 70, it's either that or the IF c<2 THEN 9 just before the Comment in Line 70.

Your Computer Programs

ComSoft6128

Thanks for the links and post,

I am working thru them just now.

So the "C" demo is disabled or incomplete?
What would be the purpose of that?

I have included a short video with this post which was meant to be part of video 7 but frankly after this program took nearly ten minutes to produce one graphic I just gave up. Video 7 (User area 2) should ready Tuesday or Wednesday.
When I have finished with this particular disk I will see what else can be found. I have over two hundred 3.5" D20 disks here which are mostly filled with data (text, email, screen and MicroDesign files) but I'm sure I will find other PD programs that will be of interest.
It is just a pity that some of the better programs I have already looked at (especially the John Valentine "Spatial Data Modelling" files ) are incompatible with the OSSC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guX-sbd0xSE&feature=youtu.be