News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Symbos notepad under development!

Started by Gryzor, 11:29, 05 December 12

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

robcfg

Nice!

Always good to see some new development!

TotO

Useless, as nobody can get a public board to run it...
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

Huh? Last I checked Symbos doesn't necessarily need a Symbiface...?

robcfg

Yep, it also boots from disks, but I'd say a compatible memory expansion is needed to enjoy it to the full.

But yes, it boots on an unexpanded 6128 from disk, so no need for a symbiface.

Gryzor

Yup, precisely. But, let's be realistic, although it's a pity it needs the board to run ti its full extend, for something that evolved I think it's a miracle it runs on a simple machine at all.

TotO

The Symbiface add all stuff needed to work in good condition with symbOS.
Sure, it can run from a ROM board, but without a PS/2 mouse, RTC, HDD and RAM ...
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

But what you say is like "I want a grilled steak, but without the grill". 

I'm hungry.

TotO

Sorry ?
It's what you said... Me I want both, but the board is only confidential.
And you said that I can use this OS w/o...

Gryzor

Not really confidential, just out of stock... (unless you mean the schematics are not released).

TotO

Out of stock... A new batch was done few weeks ago, but need to speak german and watch an unknow forum to get one... That is confidential for me. ;)

Gryzor

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Nice to see it - but I think the font needs to have slightly taller lower case letters.

Would be nice to see a screenshot in non-nuclear colour scheme too.

Gryzor

db6128

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that SymbOS would benefit from some other colours. I assume the option is offered? Edit: Yep, I found the screenshots at the bottom of the official page. Considering how lovely the rest of it looks as standard – almost unbelievably good for a CPC, in fact – this particular set of colours, which dominates all the screenshots I've seen, really doesn't match up with the rest in terms of quality. But as long as it's configurable. :)
I thought of suggesting some of the CPC's many blues, but maybe that's also my old love affair with Windows 2000's style coming back! In any case, the more I see of SymbOS, the more I think I should give it a go. And I do like a bit of Notepad on Windows, so, y'know! Writing in an emulator, that's the best way. :D
Quote from: Devilmarkus on 13:04, 27 February 12
Quote from: ukmarkh on 11:38, 27 February 12[The owner of one of the few existing cartridges of Chase HQ 2] mentioned to me that unless someone could find a way to guarantee the code wouldn't be duplicated to anyone else, he wouldn't be interested.
Did he also say things like "My treasureeeeee" and is he a little grey guy?

fgbrain

_____

6128 (UK keyboard, Crtc type 0/2), 6128+ (UK keyboard), 3.5" and 5.25" drives, Reset switch and Digiblaster (selfmade), Inicron Romram box, Bryce Megaflash, SVideo & PS/2 mouse, , Magnum Lightgun, X-MEM, X4 Board, C4CPC, Multiface2 X4, RTC X4 and Gotek USB Floppy emulator.

Prodatron

Hi TotO,
I am sorry that we didn't announced the new SYMBiFACE II batch here until now.
When we tested the first ones in late summer, we recognized, that some of the new chips had different timings compared to the ones (which aren't available any more) on the old cards. So Dr.Zed had to fix this first, and we had no idea how long this would take. So we didn't wanted to extend the announcment of the new batch until the problems are fixed. I hope this is done soon, and then of course I will post it here as well. We won't keep the new batch as a secret!  ;D

Regarding the hardware requirements of SymbOS:
- it runs completely on a naked CPC-6128, you even don't need a rom-box or something like this
- for reasonable working a memory expansion is really required; you don't need the full 512KB expansion, even only additional 64KB would already have a good effect
- a joystick or a joystick-compatible mouse are of course fine, when using a graphical user interface
So I don't see a reason, why SymbOS requires a SYMBiFACE II. Of course with this hardware you get the maximum, but that doesn't mean, that you get nothing without it.

CU,
Prodatron

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Prodatron

Quote from: db6128 on 13:34, 06 December 12
I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that SymbOS would benefit from some other colours. I assume the option is offered? Edit: Yep, I found the screenshots at the bottom of the official page. Considering how lovely the rest of it looks as standard – almost unbelievably good for a CPC, in fact – this particular set of colours, which dominates all the screenshots I've seen, really doesn't match up with the rest in terms of quality. But as long as it's configurable. :)
I thought of suggesting some of the CPC's many blues, but maybe that's also my old love affair with Windows 2000's style coming back! In any case, the more I see of SymbOS, the more I think I should give it a go. And I do like a bit of Notepad on Windows, so, y'know! Writing in an emulator, that's the best way. :D

Maybe I am already brainwashed by this colours  :)
The 4 colour mode requires a gray-scale-like palette, so each of the 4 colours have to have the same distances to each other regarding the brightness (sorry for my bad english - was that clear?). I tried this also with blue and green, but IMHO the result wasn't as good as for red (and green and blue appeared more psychedelic). On a CPC+ you can create much better results. If someone has an idea about an alternative default palette, you are welcome! (of course everyone can modify the palette of his own installation with the control panel)

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

db6128

Quote from: Prodatron on 19:15, 06 December 12Maybe I am already brainwashed by this colours  :)
Heheh, it could happen! :D I did also think that it might have been due to brightness/luminance and perhaps compatibility with green screens, too, which is a good thing to be careful about. In any case, they're not terrible, and like you said, the option is there to change them. Anyhow, SymbOS is quite an amazing and attractive achievement on the CPC, regardless :)
Quote from: Devilmarkus on 13:04, 27 February 12
Quote from: ukmarkh on 11:38, 27 February 12[The owner of one of the few existing cartridges of Chase HQ 2] mentioned to me that unless someone could find a way to guarantee the code wouldn't be duplicated to anyone else, he wouldn't be interested.
Did he also say things like "My treasureeeeee" and is he a little grey guy?

Bryce

Sorry to go completely off-topic, but is that:

Quote from: MacDeath
very few games managed such amount of Mode1 rasterish blowjob fest (or equivalent).
Also notice how shitty the C64's disk drive is... she broke a nail...(and I busted a nut...)

seriously your signature?? :D

Bryce.

MacDeath

Seriously ? I can't even remember when I wrote this.