News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

SymbOS on a 720k floppy?

Started by khaz, 16:41, 26 April 16

Previous topic - Next topic

khaz

So instead of having to switch between three or more 180k 3" sides, I thought it would be cool to pool everything on a single 720k floppy. I used ParaDOS to format a 3.5 disc to ROMDOS 792k and copy the files from all three discs to it. But, of course, the OS didn't boot. I'm assuming the startup disc isn't your standard data disc.

Here, have a lazy cover.
[attach=2]

TFM

Quote from: khaz on 16:41, 26 April 16
So instead of having to switch between three or more 180k 3" sides, I thought it would be cool to pool everything on a single 720k floppy. I used ParaDOS to format a 3.5 disc to ROMDOS 792k and copy the files from all three discs to it. But, of course, the OS didn't boot. I'm assuming the startup disc isn't your standard data disc.

Here, have a lazy cover.
[attach=2]

IIRC symbos supports data, joyce and ms-dos format, but not romdos. You could put everything on a ms-dos disc and boot it from ROM.

I don't know how to add a module for support of other formats, or if it's possible. But this would be the smooth way I guess, because then a 6128 is enough to run it.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

khaz

Ok, I thought that SymbOS would be able to read the same formats AMSDOS can, the list of which being expanded by ParaDOS in my case.

I'll try the MS-DOS format then, that would be interesting to be able to exchange files between a PC and a CPC that way.

TFM

Quote from: khaz on 01:27, 28 April 16
Ok, I thought that SymbOS would be able to read the same formats AMSDOS can, the list of which being expanded by ParaDOS in my case.
Nope, it brings its own DOS part.

Quote from: khaz on 01:27, 28 April 16I'll try the MS-DOS format then, that would be interesting to be able to exchange files between a PC and a CPC that way.
Well, good luck in finding an PC with 3.5' (I mean outside of the dark place where I work).  ;)  Fun at the side, IMHO the future solution will be the Albireo and it's ability to easily use USB sticks. Ok, a little software is needed for that. But it has cool functions like 'show directory' and 'read file' and so on.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Edoz(MSX)

Quote from: khaz on 01:27, 28 April 16

I'll try the MS-DOS format then, that would be interesting to be able to exchange files between a PC and a CPC that way.

Here is a small install/configure manual. How you can configure SymbOS and see what is supported. Maybe it is helpfully.

http://members.home.nl/evanzanten/msxorg/SymbOS%203%20install%20user%20and%20install%20guide.pdf

khaz

Another option, and I may go this way, is to keep the boot disc on 3" and have an extra programs disc on 3.5". this would even give me an extra 380k of disc space too. But I tried a few different formats and I can't seem to find a suitable double sided, double density one to use?

TFM

Quote from: khaz on 14:19, 03 May 16
Another option, and I may go this way, is to keep the boot disc on 3" and have an extra programs disc on 3.5". this would even give me an extra 380k of disc space too. But I tried a few different formats and I can't seem to find a suitable double sided, double density one to use?

Why don't you just PM Prodatron instead of do 'Try an error'. I'm sure he is eager to help.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Quote from: Edoz(MSX) on 14:07, 03 May 16
Here is a small install/configure manual. How you can configure SymbOS and see what is supported. Maybe it is helpfully.

http://members.home.nl/evanzanten/msxorg/SymbOS%203%20install%20user%20and%20install%20guide.pdf

This doesn't work.
TFM of FutureSoft

khaz

Quote from: TFM on 16:16, 03 May 16

Why don't you just PM Prodatron instead of do 'Try an error'. I'm sure he is eager to help.  :)

Because I thought he'd pop on this subject on his own, given the attractive title I gave it ;)
I'm not a fan of dealing with problems via PM, better keep a trace online for future users.

@Prodatron, @Prodatron , I summon thee!

TFM

Quote from: khaz on 17:11, 03 May 16
Because I thought he'd pop on this subject on his own, given the attractive title I gave it ;)
I'm not a fan of dealing with problems via PM, better keep a trace online for future users.

@Prodatron, @Prodatron , I summon thee!

Yeah! Usually that's the right way to go.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Edoz(MSX)

Quote from: TFM on 16:17, 03 May 16

This doesn't work.

I just checked. Over here it work just fine. Maybe you have a limited internet connection or you have to wait a bit while downloading?

TFM

Wished so, all I get is this...

Het opgevraagde bestand/pagina is niet bekend

Het kan zijn dat je de verkeerde naam gebruikt. Controleer ook of er geen spaties of spelfouten in staan en probeer het opnieuw.Zoek anders de juiste naam in deze bestandenlijst van Ziggo-internettersNaar de homepage van Ziggo
TFM of FutureSoft

khaz

I can access it fine.

The link has spaces in it, maybe your browser doesn't like it? Try copying the link and replacing the spaces with %20

[edit] Or copying the text of the link, instead of the link itself, and use that, haha

Edoz(MSX)

Think that is the case indeed. Somehow in the text the spaces were replaced by %20 but if you click on it it's removed.  No idea why. I use Firefox and internet explorer 11 and works fine.

TFM

Maybe you can attach it at a post here, that would make it more easy. I don't want to install new software on a lab computer and my personal laptop is not working at the moment.

TFM of FutureSoft

Edoz(MSX)

Quote from: TFM on 20:13, 03 May 16
Maybe you can attach it at a post here, that would make it more easy. I don't want to install new software on a lab computer and my personal laptop is not working at the moment.

Nope .. can't help you here...
  An Error Has Occurred!    Your file is too large. The maximum attachment size allowed is 4096 KB.

SRS

Quote from: TFM on 20:13, 03 May 16

I recommend Portable Apps. Chrome/Firefox - all on a USB (or hdd) even at restricted "admin only" pc's.

But just for ppl with access problems - try this link: https://app.box.com/s/vqbu28d2xfexsuiu3baeux1h8evte00l

TFM

Thanks that worked eventually.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft