News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

SymbOS press coverage

Started by Prodatron, 16:08, 13 April 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Prodatron

Today I came across this article about SymbOS and the upcoming 3.0 launch at Heise.de, which was published several weeks ago:

Original:
Retro Computing: Mit dem Z80 und SymbOS 3.0 ins Internet | iX

English translation:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.heise.de%2Fix%2Fmeldung%2FRetro-Computing-Mit-dem-Z80-und-SymbOS-3-0-ins-Internet-3084831.html&edit-text=&act=url

"Heise.de" is the biggest IT-Newsportal in Germany, so I was a little bit surprised about this article and wonder where they collected these information, as some stuff was only published in the CPC-Wiki and MSX.org forums.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

robcfg

They could have used some nice pictures of SymbOS running on different platforms...

On the brigth side, we got the CPC in the news again  8)

khaz

I'm surprised they didn't call it the Schneider CPC. You'd think they'd call it that to make sure everybody understands what they are talking about. Was the Amstrad name known by the general public in Germany back in the day?

Trebmint

There will also be an article about symbos in MicroMart next week, which is nice publicity for the upcoming 3.0 release. Weird to think that anyone outside our small subset of the retro area would find it interesting

TFM

Congratulations. Eventually CPC goes to the internet.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Prodatron

Quote from: khaz on 19:07, 13 April 16
I'm surprised they didn't call it the Schneider CPC. You'd think they'd call it that to make sure everybody understands what they are talking about. Was the Amstrad name known by the general public in Germany back in the day?
TBH the german retro scene isn't using the brand "Schneider" so much anymore but Amstrad as well. So it's not that surprising. And this guy from heise.de seemed to know some insider stuff anyway as his article was quite accurate, which is really cool! I think people in Germany don't remember both Schneider or Amstrad anyway, if they don't know something about retro computing, so it doesn't matter if you write Amstrad or Schneider. Here most of them only remember the C64 (when I describe the CPC to other people I usually say "it was something like the C64, do you remember?" :) )

CU,
Prodatron

Gryzor

That's nice indeed, and even better that someone actually looked into what they were writing :)

TFM

Quote from: Prodatron on 00:04, 15 April 16
TBH the german retro scene isn't using the brand "Schneider" so much anymore but Amstrad as well. So it's not that surprising. And this guy from heise.de seemed to know some insider stuff anyway as his article was quite accurate, which is really cool! I think people in Germany don't remember both Schneider or Amstrad anyway, if they don't know something about retro computing, so it doesn't matter if you write Amstrad or Schneider. Here most of them only remember the C64 (when I describe the CPC to other people I usually say "it was something like the C64, do you remember?" :) )

CU,
Prodatron

And congrats again for post #600!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Prodatron

Golem.de, beside Heise.de one of the most important german IT portals, published a video report about the "Vintage Computing Festival Berlin 2017" ( https://www.vcfb.de/2017/index.html.en ) at the German Museum of Technology in Berlin. With lots of booths, a huge area of 1400 square meters and more than 1000 visitors (including a lot of childrens) it was the biggest VFCB event ever.

Though 50% of the video report was about SymbOS  ;D
https://video.golem.de/internet/19783/vintage-computing-festival-berlin-bericht.html

EdoZ and me had a great but also stressful weekend there, and at the end even EdoZ was totally annoyed by too many people (and childrens) trying to play with SymbOS  ??? :laugh: (several of them thought, keyboards of old computers can be used like punchingballs).