News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

SYMBOS Release 2.0 [30.08.2007] ? ? ?

Started by Terje_Norway, 17:00, 30 August 09

Previous topic - Next topic

Terje_Norway

Today it is two years since Symbos 2.0 was released ! ! ! HURRAY  :)

The software represents some of the most impressive achievements on the CPC, but what has happened with it during the last TWO years ? ? ?

Will Symbos be further developed, or has it reached the end in developement ? ? ?

Does anyone have any news or information ? ?

Yours

Terje Grind

ZilogMonkey

Yes, Happy Birthday to SymbOS ..

There is no doubt in my mind (and that is per definition subjective) that SymbOS is one of the greatest OS achievements on any 8bit computer - and of course not least on the CPC .. And probably the most graphically appealing 'serious' program for the CPC. Unfortunately the time is way past the haydays of 8bit computing .... But lets see what has been achieved by Prodatron in the past. Prodatron has fathered not only a wonderfull OS for the CPC but also for the MSX and PCW. Sadly even though development notes are available and a SDK for SDCC exists, and int ereset for SymbOS seems to thrive no one seems to be willing to create applications for SymbOS. Having a bit of experience programming in symbos and making some stuff for SymbOS i am sadly tied down by other projects right now, but I will surely return programming for SymbOS. So no wonder that Prodatron needs a break. According to the SymbOS thread on msx.org SymbOS development is not dead, but merely sleeping. It also seems that new hardware and networking features are being done so lets see what the future brings. I think it's clearly to early to doom SymbOS dead. 

Regards and happy birthday to SymbOS

/ZilogMonkey

Quote from: Terje_Norway on 17:00, 30 August 09
Today it is two years since Symbos 2.0 was released ! ! ! HURRAY  :)

The software represents some of the most impressive achievements on the CPC, but what has happened with it during the last TWO years ? ? ?

Will Symbos be further developed, or has it reached the end in developement ? ? ?

Does anyone have any news or information ? ?

Yours

Terje Grind

retrozoneorg

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Symbiface II card so my CPC 6128 has 640K RAM and a IDE Hard drive attached. But like you said there are no applications.

I did look into the XP developement Kit for SymbOS (which also seems to have dissapeared).

Back in my college days I used to program C++. I'm sure I could learn to program for SymbOS.
Is there any tips / information / kit you have which can help?

Ygdrazil

You lucky bastard  :D. I would love to have a Symbiface II card, I myself wonder if another batch will be produced.

If you are familiar with programming in C there is a SDK for use with SymbOS at:

http://www.nerlaska.com/msx/symbos_sdk.html

Made by a member of the MSX scene but it works nicely for the CPC as well

Regards,
/Ygdrazil

Quote from: retrozoneorg on 05:16, 11 September 09
I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Symbiface II card so my CPC 6128 has 640K RAM and a IDE Hard drive attached. But like you said there are no applications.

I did look into the XP developement Kit for SymbOS (which also seems to have dissapeared).

Back in my college days I used to program C++. I'm sure I could learn to program for SymbOS.
Is there any tips / information / kit you have which can help?

Terje_Norway

SYMBOS 2.0 was released today FOUR years ago (Yes, it's still 30.08 in Norway) ! ! ! HURRAY   :D

- Any ideas/thoughts about the future for Symbos and Symbiface II ? ? ?
- Will Symbiface III every be released ? ? ?
- Will any independent programmers make software for it ? ? ?
- Does anyone know anything about the plans for a spanish Symbiface II clone ? ? ?

If You reads this "Prodatron" we'd love to hear from You ! !

Yours

Terje Grind
NORWAY

rpalmer

hello terje_norway,

I have created HDOS which has a draft driver for the symbiface-II, but as I don't have one to test I have to rely on those who have one to be able to check if the unit works with HDOS.

I am confident that if it does as i had drafted, then many users can use existing programs with HDOS and the symbiface-II. Of course there are limitations to some programs as they may go direct to floppy or tape, so testing is the real key.

It would be great to get CP/M to boot from symbiface or perhaps Symbos from a harddisc.

rpalmer

MacDeath

Cast raise dead to topic.

lightning effect.
It's alive, alive !

Ok.

This is the first SymbOs topic I found so I had a little question.

SymbOS is supposed to be a Z80 oriented GUI os.

so here is my question : can it run on a PCW16 ?

PCW16 is a rare yet funny machine...

also features some awesome specs... I mean, a 16mhz Z80 !!!
I also features a mouse and shittons of RAM...

So is there a version for PCW16 ?
(also PCW "old" ?)

While SymbOS may be a little too much for amundane Z80 computer, the PCW16 seems quite powerfull enough to run it smoothly and well, so it is the "complete windows like OS" this computer perhaps lacks.

steve

I remember seeing on Prodatron's website that SymbOS will run on the old pcw range, but in another of your posts you said that the pcw16 was completely different to the old pcw's, so I doubt if SymbOS will run on the pcw16 without modification.

RockRiver

Quick answer without think a lot -otherwise crazy ideas can't be dreamed-, master John Elliott make the start of the solution:
http://www.seasip.demon.co.uk/Cpm/pcw16.html
CP/M for the PCW16.

Then there you can try to start Symbos PCW version... but different machine... only keeps the name? Retro-Compatibility was forgotten?

Back to the post of SymbOS new release: I would like to see DOX files (pseudo txt-html-with images) finished for use with SymStudio to SymZilla. And an AYC implementation for SymAmp... maybe in the future...

Prodatron

Wow, read this topic the first time  :)
@Terje: Yeah, we are back after a long, long break  :)
@MacDeath: The PCW16 is a different machine and not compatible to the original PCW series. For a Z80 it's a very powerfull machine (16MHz - I guess this is one of the fastest ever sold below the MSX turboR with its R800...), and a SymbOS port would be possible (the full technical specs are available), but these machines are VERY rare, so I don't know if it would make any sense.
It already has a nice graphical operating system, which reminds you a little bit on the UI of the Amstrad NC100/150/200 portables. It doesn't work with a full flexible windows environment and it doesn't support multitasking (someone here told, that it would, which is wrong). But the graphical interface and the possibilities to work with all kind of fonts/Wysiwyg/etc. is really impressive and outstanding for an 8bit machine.
Anyway, this would be a great platform for a port, if it wouldn't be so rare...  :(

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

robcfg

I got one recently, so you have one more reason to port SymbOS...  ;D