News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Symbos running on all plataforms 2015 (video) :)

Started by Joseman, 14:44, 26 January 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseman

Here it is one video from Nijmegen MSX fair 2015 with all the platforms supporting symbos running the operating system:

SymbOS Platform Overkill - It's running everywhere!

Pretty impressive!

CraigsBar

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Gryzor

Thanks for that, great moments!

(edited your post to remove the 's' from 'https' in the YT link so it gets embedded)

TotO

Hehe!
The CPC version running on a X-MEM + X-MASS configuration. Great!  :-*
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

radu14m

Yes..i also notice the blinking red led from xmass .
great video  8)

Prodatron

It was a very great meeting and it was really fun to have the booth the first time with all 4 different SymbOS Z80 computer systems, which were united in a crazy way.

Btw: The CPC was running 7 hours without any break the whole time loading video data from the X-MASS! :)
(the EP had to take a break after 4 hours, the PCW was crashing one time, and the two MSX machines have been used to show other things several times in between :P )

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

TFM

Quote from: Prodatron on 23:23, 27 January 15
Btw: The CPC was running 7 hours without any break the whole time loading video data from the X-MASS! :)

That's a pretty cool power test!  :)  Windows got beat already!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

MacDeath

You mean it took 7 hours to load datas to SymbOS ?

wow, now i understand why you weren't satisfied by the benchmarks showing FutureOS is faster...

:laugh:

na, kiddin,please no more cheatstorm...

now the real deal...
4 different machines running the "same" OS and actually no networking between this ?

I mean...
You can connect and share with macs and so on... and here, nothing ?

Please, create a protocols and sharing things, so Data may be shared, chat may be chatted and game may be gamed... and prOrn may be pr0n-ted...

Many of those computers here have somewhat "compatible" video modes of a kind...

All can do 1bpp graphics... palettes can be converted, even PCW may somewhat emulate the CPC Mode1 via ditherings (see most CPCports on PCW) and CPC can also get a display the same size as the PCW via fullscreen, and so on.

Even concerning sounds, most of those system can have at least one AY (be it in option for PCW but the card existed and was supported by Head over heels) or equivalent (Enterprise's soundchip is not quite different)...

when can we get a little "multiplayer-multisystem-online-pacbomberman-clone" running in windowed mode ?

Also : where is the Amstrad PLUS version with rasters and hardsprites ?

Prodatron

Interesting detail: SymbOS was loading about 3 Gigabytes of data within the 7 hours on the CPC! I think that's quite impressive for an 8bit system ;)

MacDeath

Meanwhile in Spain, with only 16K of Datas on plain stock 64K config CPC :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH-n5NNKvpo

;)

Clearly some nice Amstrad moments theses days... I knew CPC664 and CPC6128 30th anniversaries year would be even better than CPC464's anniversary.
The Floppy is where it's at... the extra RAM as well.

Jokes appart : why are the links to SymStudio's website "broken" ?

Trebmint

Quote from: MacDeath on 00:09, 28 January 15
Jokes appart : why are the links to SymStudio's website "broken" ?
SymStudio is no longer available. An alpha release of its replacement Unify will be out in a week or so.

TFM

Quote from: Prodatron on 00:05, 28 January 15
Interesting detail: SymbOS was loading about 3 Gigabytes of data within the 7 hours on the CPC! I think that's quite impressive for an 8bit system ;)

3 GB = 3221225472 bytes
7 hours = 7 * 60 * 60 = 25200 seconds

Data transfer rate = 127826 bytes per second or = 124 kb/s

Now how long will it take to format your new hard disc?
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Prodatron

Probably a few seconds, even if a CPC would do it. Initialising the boot sector/fat/root directory area doesn't require so much writes. Not sure if you missed it, but since the 90ies harddiscs won't be low-level formatted anymore.

TFM

Well, great idea for data security right?

TFM of FutureSoft

MacDeath

English  CPCscene : hoy m8, what's up ?

Greek CPCscene  : (something in ununderstandable greek characters, looks like mathematical formulae)

Spanish CPCscene  : hola hermano, have you seen last Batman Demo or last ESP soft game ? yeah we totally exploded MSX or Speccy or C64 or french CPCscene...

French CPCscene  : connard ! ton ex-femme a volé la disquette avec mes routines que tu m'avais copié il y a 20 ans à une party où elle avait refusé de me sucer ! **

German CPCscene  : sein OS hast ein slöwer dataflow than meine wen it komes zu Data processing im multitasken !!!

** please don't try to translate... it is not worth...
;D

TFM

What ever you use for translations, please stop it, it hurts my ears just by reading it.  :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Edoz(MSX)

Quote from: Joseman on 14:44, 26 January 15
Here it is one video from Nijmegen MSX fair 2015 with all the platforms supporting symbos running the operating system:

Pretty impressive!

For me, SymbOS is so crazy cool!! everytime i boot it, it's amzing that it is possible to have a full multitasking grapical enviorment with a very nice look and feel! on a z80 platform!
It seems the way to go! Building applications for different z80 machines but still using the same OS. To share it with different communities!
It was so nice to see SymbOS booting on different z80 machines!!!! It is so complete already!!

THANKS!!!!

Nice thing to see was also that some children tried SymbOS :D

Bryce

Quote from: MacDeath on 23:40, 28 January 15
English  CPCscene : hoy m8, what's up ?

Greek CPCscene  : (something in ununderstandable greek characters, looks like mathematical formulae)

Spanish CPCscene  : hola hermano, have you seen last Batman Demo or last ESP soft game ? yeah we totally exploded MSX or Speccy or C64 or french CPCscene...

French CPCscene  : connard ! ton ex-femme a volé la disquette avec mes routines que tu m'avais copié il y a 20 ans à une party où elle avait refusé de me sucer ! **

German CPCscene  : sein OS hast ein slöwer dataflow than meine wen it komes zu Data processing im multitasken !!!

** please don't try to translate... it is not worth...
;D

I'm in the wrong scene! The French scene sounds much more interesting :D

Bryce.

Gryzor

MacDeath

@Gryzor : What sort of mysterious universal constant are you trying to calculate ?

;)

@deutcshen freunderns : somewhere ein Goethe corpse ist spinning in his grave... but Molière and Rabelais are dying again of laugh

Gryzor

Just an ethereal algorithm that automatically upgrades my CPC to 4MB, no biggie...

Audronic

@ Prodatron

Would it be possible to run Symbos on a Model 4 Trs-80  (Z80) PleaseThanks

Ray W_____________
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

Trebmint

Quote from: Audronic on 09:46, 30 January 15
@ Prodatron

Would it be possible to run Symbos on a Model 4 Trs-80  (Z80) PleaseThanks

Ray W_____________

I think the answer is no, as symbos requires 128k

MacDeath

Quoteas symbos requires 128k
whot ?

192k would be more realistic... or else you only run SymbOS and nothing else, not even the desktop background... ;D