News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Symbos running on all plataforms 2015 (video) :)

Started by Joseman, 14:44, 26 January 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Prodatron

Quote from: MacDeath on 02:09, 31 January 15
whot ?

192k would be more realistic... or else you only run SymbOS and nothing else, not even the desktop background... ;D

Most apps can be executed on 128K and this shows how you can even run 4 smaller ones at the same time on 128K:

-> On a 128K system you have about 32K available.
The model 4 seem to support 128K or more, but currently I don't now how it is mapped. Beside the bitmap graphic (which can be 2, 4 or 16 col) this is the most important detail for porting SymbOS

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

TFM

Well, intelligent choice of platform and apps.  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Trebmint

Well pretty much every app Prodatron has written runs in the spare 32k. Much of the code that was written with Symstudio probably doesnt as it carries around the language code with each app (and thats just me being a bad coder)...  but that wont be the case with Unify code so hopefully lots of the planned apps will run in the spare 32k also.

I think if the TRS-80 model 4 has a possibility of 128k then its another possible port to add to the growing number.

Have said this to Prodatron a number of times over the years, but Symbos is the most impressive piece of Z80 coding I've ever encountered. Even more so when you look at the coding structure underneath, and it keeps getting better. Just wait for network support, cos its going to be special

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Very impressive demo, who would have thought these platforms could have ended up with such an advanced cross-platform operating system back in the day!

Audronic

@ Prodatron

I would like to see a Version  of Symbos that can run on a TRS-80 Model 4/4p with 128 Meg of Ram.
I am prepared to do some testing , I have a Model 4 and a 4P both with 128 meg Ram,
I have a 15 Meg (Radio Shack (Tandy) Hard drive that could be used, as the Hard Drive.
I also have a FreHD (SD based Hard Drive) that can be connected and a Lo-Tech IDE Drive using a 64 Meg D.O.M.

Looking forward to helping

Thanks

Ray W___________

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

TFM

Quote from: Trebmint on 19:19, 31 January 15
... Just wait for network support, cos its going to be special

Well, I'm waiting since 2007 when with great words it was announced an shown on a Spanish meeting. It would be great if 8 years later we eventually get it available.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Prodatron

@Ray: The TRS-80 Model 4 seems to support a "flexible" 32K based mapping. That's not optimal but it should work, especially as the VRAM is separated. Accessing the graphic board for the 640x240 and 512x192 monochrome bitmap modes is quite interesting because of the X/Y address registers and the option control register. Always nice to learn about additional (Z80) 8bit machines and their concepts! :) Anyway the next port candidates are currently the Sam Coupe and the Amstrad NC series, as I thought this would make most sense.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Trebmint

Quote from: TFM on 17:16, 02 February 15

Well, I'm waiting since 2007 when with great words it was announced an shown on a Spanish meeting. It would be great if 8 years later we eventually get it available.  :)
Good to hear that you're looking forward to it too. Its positive comments like that which push us forward to try and achieve even more

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft