Jill Lawson artwork - The Electric Lantern Show from Pride Utilities

Started by ComSoft6128, 17:08, 17 August 19

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

AMSDOS

I know the name and her great artwork, but no face to go with that Artwork?!  ???
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

ComSoft6128

Very good point @AMSDOS ,

Photo of the lady and her husband, Cliff Lawson.

Full page:

http://www.our-cottage.co.uk/default.htm

Unfortunately the link to her own page is broken but here is an extract from CPCWiki (thanks to @ivarf )

Life began (again) around 50:   Clifford had recently left Newcastle University and started work for Amstrad. We had a CPC 464 and he brought home a program called Screendesigner saying 'Here Mum, have a go with this'. My first effort was a copy of part of a Bruegel painting, followed by a variety of subjects like the Mona Lisa and the Tutankhamen mask. Some ingenuity was needed with only a four-colour palette, but it was a challenge and soon I was being offered work, designing loading and background screens  for computer games, and preparing promotional pictures for Amstrad. A couple of my pictures were even used on Blue Peter (yes, I got a Badge!) and Eastenders. I had a wonderful six years going to Computer Shows and meeting up with enthusiastic young men who were designing those early games and utilities on a limited budget, sometimes at home in their own bedrooms. I wonder where they all are now? If you remember that middle-aged lady at the Shows, touting her 'Amstrad pikkies' around the stands, drop me a line. Of course it couldn't last - technology moves on so quickly, and demand for my hand-drawn pictures was soon a thing of the past.

pelrun

You've confused Cliff's wife Joan with his mother Jill.  :laugh:

ComSoft6128

Ah Bollocks!

Thanks @pelrun ,

Unfortunately, as previously mentioned,  the link to her page is down and having had a further look I can't find anything else :(

Johnny Olsen

Wayback Machine link,but only a small picture of jill.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070402112535/http://web.ukonline.co.uk/jill.lawson/own-page/index.htm

ComSoft6128

Thanks for that!

The fractal photo galleries (created using FracTint) were a surprise too.

AMSDOS

I wondered if Jill were one of those Camera shy types, I didn't see any silly grin!  :o

The extract about her came to a sad ending.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

chinnyhill10

The CPC display is 4:3 so displaying the artwork in 16:9 isn't the best idea.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

ComSoft6128

Good point chinnyhill10,

The OSSC will output at 4:3 using the enhanced line modes but the Hauppauge Rocket will not record using any of these.
However, when I get the time I will look again at the various menus and see what is possible on simple passthru.
Now having said that, the cheap 43" Bush TV (from Argos) that I'm using offers 4:3 as an option and I have to agree that the video seems more authentic to the CRT experience when viewed using that setting.

Cheers,

Peter

ComSoft6128

Updated video which includes the eight corrupted screens missing from the first video, in total twenty eight screens are now displayed.

Probably best to mute the sound - the annoying "beeps and whistles" are quite distracting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRXd97bZGLM&t=8s

With thanks to @Nich

Not emulated - original hardware and software
Please note that the aspect ratio for this YouTube video is 16:9 but the CPC monitor has an aspect ratio of 4:3 so you may wish to adjust your viewing device accordingly.