News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

UniDOS, the new multi-device AMSDOS replacement

Started by OffseT, 15:51, 24 January 21

Previous topic - Next topic

GUNHED

Or any ROM board being capable of replacing ROM 7. :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

TotO

Quote from: OffseT on 20:02, 17 March 22Let's say it again in a simplier way:
Question: "I'd be interested in hearing exactly how someone replaced rom 7 on a Plus without a custom cartridge."
That is not what he was originally asked to you, but a question following to what you are suggesting for a workaround to his initial issue. I just think to fix his problem, he has better to looks around the C4CPC.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

OffseT

Quote from: TotO on 08:57, 18 March 22That is not what he was originally asked to you, but a question following to what you are suggesting for a workaround to his initial issue. I just think to fix his problem, he has better to looks around the C4CPC.
Really? Please, read again the inital answer.
It explains both that the Firmware patch was not properly installed (might be installed as upper ROM instead of lower), and that on a Plus it is not the best solution since ROM 7 can be overridden (which is the optimal option).
Then he asked about how to override ROM 7...

But, well, I guess I've got the point. :)
As suggested by GUNHED, let's rephrase it one more time in a way that may not upset you (hopefully):

Question: "I'd be interested in hearing exactly how someone replaced rom 7 on a Plus without a custom cartridge."
Anwser: "Use any ROM board being capable of replacing ROM 7."

zhulien

can the Albireo rom be easily modified to work with USB on the minibooster?

OffseT

Quote from: zhulien on 15:27, 18 March 22can the Albireo rom be easily modified to work with USB on the minibooster?
No, the Albireo node relies on the CH376 chip of the Albireo, it is not related to serial UART/USB at all.

But handling USB serial from MiniBooster should be quite trivial to add to the (not yet released) serial node.
This node supports standard Y-Modem protocol over (Albireo) serial UART/USB, which can be used directly (via transfer RSX) or as a filesystem (thru a new SERIAL: drive).

Unfortunately I have no clue when it will be actually released (I'm not the author of this upcoming node).

TotO

Quote from: OffseT on 14:27, 18 March 22Really? Please, read again the inital answer.
It explains both that the Firmware patch was not properly installed (might be installed as upper ROM instead of lower), and that on a Plus it is not the best solution since ROM 7 can be overridden (which is the optimal option).
Then he asked about how to override ROM 7...

But, well, I guess I've got the point. :)
As suggested by GUNHED, let's rephrase it one more time in a way that may not upset you (hopefully)
I have read some times the discussion to be sure to have missed nothing of the exchange, thinking about his initial problem. I have well understood the questions, I'm just thinking the final answer was not related to that.

No worry, the goal was not to flood the topic, but to try to point the divert of the initial issue.

Have a nice weekend! ;)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

OffseT

I confirm everything was related and both the initial issue (mistake during u5 patched firmware ROM installation) and the better alternative (using u5 patched firmware being pointless on Plus since ROM 7 can be overidden) was answered.

BTW, both will work (even using nor ROM 7 slot neither u5 patched firmware, at cost of compatibility). Then, it is up to the users to decide what best fit their usage/hardware. :)

m_dr_m

One thing CubeMDos handles is direct access for HxC/Gotek 
Note: the SymbOS equivalent doesn't work for me.

Not using that feature very often, but very handy when needed.

I'm going to try making CubeMDos and Unidos cohabit! Cubidos.

TotO

Quote from: m_dr_m on 10:19, 22 April 22I'm going to try making CubeMDos and Unidos cohabit! Cubidos.
Or CuniDOS. Cheers! :P

m_dr_m

I think we need this new DOS. Just for the name, and in the name (of god).

OffseT

Quote from: m_dr_m on 10:19, 22 April 22One thing CubeMDos handles is direct access for HxC/Gotek
Yeah. That's in the todolist and it looks quite trivial to add support for this in the FatFs node (a matter of couple of days to implement or so ^^).
In addition to the IDE: drive, the FatFs node could provide HXCA: and HXCB: drives (or whatever name given to them).

Unfortunately, I don't have regular access to a HxC, but if someone can provide me with validated low level routines to access HxC SD card sectors I can try some blind implementation. :)

OffseT

UniDOS 1.38 is now available!

In this version we have:
  • A few bug fixing.
  • An even better AMSDOS compatibility.
  • Some useless features removed (saving some room for upcoming useful features ;)).

Please note that in addition to UniDOS main ROM, all DOS nodes were also updated.

More information at:
https://unidos.cpcscene.net

Currently, UniDOS is already supporting the following devices:
  • Floppy disc drives plugged on the built-in CPC controler.
  • Tape reader built-in interface.
  • Albireo USB from PulkoTronics.
  • M4 Board from Duke.
  • X-Mass from Tot0.
  • Symbiface II from Dr.Zed.
  • Nova from PulkoTronics.

To make the most versatile DOS even better, help is still wanted on the following topics:
  • Improve (or replace!) FatFs DOS node to support more FAT based devices (HxC, Gotek, Symbiface 3...).
  • Create a DOS node for the USIfAC II.
  • Create a DOS node for RAM disk, serial devices...

Help could be some direct man power (full developper documentation about DOS nodes creation is available on UniDOS website), code sharing, but also lending me somes devices so that I could work on them (like Chany kindly did for the M4 Board support).

zhulien

@OffseT please add additional aliases than just A and B, that will make life really really easier, i.e. I could make L for libraries and D for dev, T for temp etc.  the way they are assigned if fantastic, just A and B though is not enough.  (add that feature to the wish list above)

OffseT

Such feature will be addressed in future versions of UniDOS, but not by simply adding logical drive letters, which is quite limited and does not provide any advantage regarding backward compatibility (softwares limited to drives A/B won't work with additional letters anyway). Something much better will be integrated into UniDOS. ;)

But you will have to wait a little bit, because some other cool features are planned to be released before. :D

zhulien

Quote from: OffseT on 15:10, 27 September 22Such feature will be addressed in future versions of UniDOS, but not by simply adding logical drive letters, which is quite limited and does not provide any advantage regarding backward compatibility (softwares limited to drives A/B won't work with additional letters anyway). Something much better will be integrated into UniDOS. ;)

But you will have to wait a little bit, because some other cool features are planned to be released before. :D

I almost found a good solution, that is with the softlinks.  I made a devs folder with a, b, m4, ide etc in it, this works well except... changing to it loses the devs folder for the 2nd time around.

I was thinking this could be done with a special logical drive dev, perhaps |dev... instead of changing to the logical folder as |a and |b does, it would assign the logical folder of |dev to whatever the current drive is (a or b) meaning that |dev could be setup once to any devs folder on any device someone chooses, then they can always get to it regardless of whether they are on a or b.  Load"dev:" or Load"dev:ide" would also do the same - still remaining on the current logical drive.

if dev was configured to m4:dev with |drive,"DEV","m4:dev"

then

|dev if on a drive a currently would be equivalent to |drive,"A","m4:dev"
|dev if on a drive b currently would be equivalent to |drive,"B","m4:dev"

Perhaps not the most elegant solution, but it will give a unix type dev folder of 100s of locations.

OffseT

Quote from: zhulien on 21:22, 27 September 22I almost found a good solution, that is with the softlinks.  I made a devs folder with a, b, m4, ide etc in it, this works well except... changing to it loses the devs folder for the 2nd time around.
Yes, you are right. Symbolic links can be used for this purpose. That's a good tip.

Quote from: zhulien on 21:22, 27 September 22I was thinking this could be done with a special logical drive dev, perhaps |dev...
If I understood correctly your requirements, I would say that you could already create that kind of RSX in a separated program (ROM or RAM). Without argument it would simply assign the current logical drive to a new path, with an argument it would let you configure the dev path. Maybe, as an ultimate generic solution, you could create a RSX which works like the |ALIAS from RODOS!

Anyway, something similar to what you described is actually planned in UniDOS. :D

zhulien

I have actually looked at RODOS a couple of times and been totally confused with it - I know they advertised the benefits in one of the Amstrad Actions, but how to use it... the manual is terrible.

Barjack

Hello Mr Set,
Is it possible to have a different color on the directories with an ùcat command ?

I'm not saying I'm the best, I'm saying I'm the least bad !
- Salvador Dali -

OffseT

Quote from: zhulien on 22:05, 29 September 22I have actually looked at RODOS a couple of times and been totally confused with it - I know they advertised the benefits in one of the Amstrad Actions, but how to use it... the manual is terrible.
Yeah, RODOS is not that easy to use at first try, notably because drives are numbers. But it was certainly the most powerful DOS around, its main drawback being the huge amount of memory it allocated, making it incompatible with most softwares.

Quote from: Barjack on 14:03, 30 September 22Hello Mr Set,
Is it possible to have a different color on the directories with an ùcat command ?
Your request comes too late, it is already implemented in UniDOS 1.40... because...

Here it is!

UniDOS 1.40 is now available! 8)

It comes with:
  • New RSX |CAT with directories sorted separately and colored.
  • New DOS node UniTools providing:
    • configurable automatic boot startup over any supported drive (see DOS nodes documentation for more information).
    • Improved ZERO: drive (now supporting hexadecimal values).
  • Improved Albireo DOS node which can handle two Albireos at the same time.
  • Updated M4 and FatFs DOS nodes (minor update).
  • Slightly improved DOSNode_Init API.
  • Few minor bug fixes.

Enjoy! :P
» https://unidos.cpcscene.net

Barjack

It's incredible, Mr Set !
And would it be possible to have a launcher that works under UniDOS?

I'm not saying I'm the best, I'm saying I'm the least bad !
- Salvador Dali -

ComSoft6128

Quote from: zhulien on 22:05, 29 September 22I have actually looked at RODOS a couple of times and been totally confused with it - I know they advertised the benefits in one of the Amstrad Actions, but how to use it... the manual is terrible.
Over here RODOS was ditched quite quickly by users in favour of ROMDOS (and later ParaDos) - it had a reputation as being difficult to use. The first version might have been bugged as well.

gms0012

can anybody please show me a ROM-config for CPC6128+M4

I dont get it working... tried each variant...

thx

OffseT

Quote from: gms0012 on 09:35, 20 October 22can anybody please show me a ROM-config for CPC6128+M4
Without any further information, I suppose your CPC6128 motherboard is not patched for the ROM 7 disabling?

Then, first you need to set-up your M4 board built-in ROM to any slot after 31; 127 is a good choice as explained here: https://unidos.cpcscene.net/doku.php?id=fr:install#nœud_dos_m4

One done, you should program UniDOS ROM to slot 5 (which gives you the option to later use the patched "u5" firmware) and the M4 DOS Node ROM any slot lower than 16 (except slot 7 which is fixed to AMSDOS on unpatched CPC6128).

To sum-up everything, a good configuration could be:
Built-in M4 Board ROM to slot 127.
UniDOS to slot 5.
M4 DOS node ROM to slot 4.

And then, if you want to achieve a better compatibility with games, utilities and demos, you could also set-up your M4 lower ROM slot to 31, and to put there the patched "u5" firmware ROM from UniDOS download page.

I hope it will help, don't hesitate to provide me with more details about your configuration attempts if you still have issues.

gms0012

Hello and thank you for the reply.. looks like it is working now... thanks for your help

I have this in my m4 settings (2.0.7)

ENABLED true
ROM NUMBER 127
ROMBOARD Start 0
LOWER ENABLET true
LOWER ROM SLOT 31

Slot2: M4FE
Slot 4: M4 Node
Slot 5: UNIDOS

Slot 31: AMSDOS - patched

but when I want to start another ROM like m4fe...I got the message "no m4 board detected"...

when I enter |DRIVE -> i see my m4 sd

zhulien