UniDOS, the new multi-device AMSDOS replacement

Started by OffseT, 16:51, 24 January 21

Previous topic - Next topic

GUNHED

Or any ROM board being capable of replacing ROM 7. :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2022.03.09)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

TotO

Quote from: OffseT on 21:02, 17 March 22Let's say it again in a simplier way:
Question: "I'd be interested in hearing exactly how someone replaced rom 7 on a Plus without a custom cartridge."
That is not what he was originally asked to you, but a question following to what you are suggesting for a workaround to his initial issue. I just think to fix his problem, he has better to looks around the C4CPC.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

OffseT

Quote from: TotO on 09:57, 18 March 22That is not what he was originally asked to you, but a question following to what you are suggesting for a workaround to his initial issue. I just think to fix his problem, he has better to looks around the C4CPC.
Really? Please, read again the inital answer.
It explains both that the Firmware patch was not properly installed (might be installed as upper ROM instead of lower), and that on a Plus it is not the best solution since ROM 7 can be overridden (which is the optimal option).
Then he asked about how to override ROM 7...

But, well, I guess I've got the point. :)
As suggested by GUNHED, let's rephrase it one more time in a way that may not upset you (hopefully):

Question: "I'd be interested in hearing exactly how someone replaced rom 7 on a Plus without a custom cartridge."
Anwser: "Use any ROM board being capable of replacing ROM 7."

zhulien

can the Albireo rom be easily modified to work with USB on the minibooster?

OffseT

Quote from: zhulien on 16:27, 18 March 22can the Albireo rom be easily modified to work with USB on the minibooster?
No, the Albireo node relies on the CH376 chip of the Albireo, it is not related to serial UART/USB at all.

But handling USB serial from MiniBooster should be quite trivial to add to the (not yet released) serial node.
This node supports standard Y-Modem protocol over (Albireo) serial UART/USB, which can be used directly (via transfer RSX) or as a filesystem (thru a new SERIAL: drive).

Unfortunately I have no clue when it will be actually released (I'm not the author of this upcoming node).

TotO

Quote from: OffseT on 15:27, 18 March 22Really? Please, read again the inital answer.
It explains both that the Firmware patch was not properly installed (might be installed as upper ROM instead of lower), and that on a Plus it is not the best solution since ROM 7 can be overridden (which is the optimal option).
Then he asked about how to override ROM 7...

But, well, I guess I've got the point. :)
As suggested by GUNHED, let's rephrase it one more time in a way that may not upset you (hopefully)
I have read some times the discussion to be sure to have missed nothing of the exchange, thinking about his initial problem. I have well understood the questions, I'm just thinking the final answer was not related to that.

No worry, the goal was not to flood the topic, but to try to point the divert of the initial issue.

Have a nice weekend! ;)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

OffseT

I confirm everything was related and both the initial issue (mistake during u5 patched firmware ROM installation) and the better alternative (using u5 patched firmware being pointless on Plus since ROM 7 can be overidden) was answered.

BTW, both will work (even using nor ROM 7 slot neither u5 patched firmware, at cost of compatibility). Then, it is up to the users to decide what best fit their usage/hardware. :)

m_dr_m

One thing CubeMDos handles is direct access for HxC/Gotek 
Note: the SymbOS equivalent doesn't work for me.

Not using that feature very often, but very handy when needed.

I'm going to try making CubeMDos and Unidos cohabit! Cubidos.

TotO

Quote from: m_dr_m on 12:19, 22 April 22I'm going to try making CubeMDos and Unidos cohabit! Cubidos.
Or CuniDOS. Cheers! :P

m_dr_m

I think we need this new DOS. Just for the name, and in the name (of god).

OffseT

Quote from: m_dr_m on 12:19, 22 April 22One thing CubeMDos handles is direct access for HxC/Gotek
Yeah. That's in the todolist and it looks quite trivial to add support for this in the FatFs node (a matter of couple of days to implement or so ^^).
In addition to the IDE: drive, the FatFs node could provide HXCA: and HXCB: drives (or whatever name given to them).

Unfortunately, I don't have regular access to a HxC, but if someone can provide me with validated low level routines to access HxC SD card sectors I can try some blind implementation. :)