Orgams "Flappy Flags" 10 January 2024 (aka today at the time of writing).

Started by m_dr_m, 16:51, 10 January 24

Previous topic - Next topic

m_dr_m

Brand new version, heightened by @Hwikaa's gorgeous logo.
It is a great milestone in my book. I'm biased, though.

Download and changelog

HAL6128

...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

GUNHED

Actually it would be nice to have an orgAMS version for FutureOS too.
Probably only few lines of code would need to be adapted.
Advantages could be: quick(er?) character display, use memory management features, memory area is free from &0000 on, RSTs free, 2nd register set of the Z80 can be used. Much quicker work with large files (especially bigger than 64 KB).

Would the orgAMS Team be interested in an version for FutureOS?
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

m_dr_m

Yes it would be a very interesting effort to make it OS-agnostic.

Display: the display is pretty fast already (you can witness that with "TYPE" command in monogams). The things that slow down the editor is source decoding (which is basically a disassembler, which additional hooks, like get the label from its id).
Memory:

GUNHED

Quote from: m_dr_m on 12:54, 11 January 24Yes it would be a very interesting effort to make it OS-agnostic.

Display: the display is pretty fast already (you can witness that with "TYPE" command in monogams). The things that slow down the editor is source decoding (which is basically a disassembler, which additional hooks, like get the label from its id).
Memory:
I didn't take a closer look 'into' the ROM up to now, because the project is still evolving relatively quick.

Now the question is: Can the orgAMS ROM-source be altered in a way that it can be assembled for different OS? This would make the amount of work affordable / doable / possible.  :) :) :)

http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

m_dr_m

It sure can, yet it's not a priority, as:
- I'd rather focus on improving assembly speed when using import (now it's only 200x times faster than MaxaM, whereas without import it's 800x times faster).
- Nobody will use that!

GUNHED

Quote from: m_dr_m on 20:42, 28 January 24It sure can, yet it's not a priority, as:
- I'd rather focus on improving assembly speed when using import (now it's only 200x times faster than MaxaM, whereas without import it's 800x times faster).
- Nobody will use that!
Of course it has the higher priority to finish the orgams project first in a way that it satisfies you. Also before it isn't more than 97% done it would make not too much sense to use it for other OS.

I assume that orgams is assembled by orgams. Therefore it should be easy to implement the working for different OS just by using IF and ENDIF. Of course this can be lots of stuff, because I don't know how much the firemware is impacting on orgams. Well, I think its not that much.

Maybe nobody will use orgams for non-firmware OS as you say. But at least I would do it, because it's a waste of time to switch between OS too much.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking you to do the work and do a version for FutureOS f.e.
My intention here is to find out if you (all) allow that in principle, and if I can expect some help If I have questions (f.e. where does orgams use firmware stuff, so I need what to change).

Finally I'm sure that orgams under FutureOS will run quicker than orgams under any other OS. We'll see one day hopefully.  :)

zhulien

Trying to use the ROMS in WinAPE I get Missing ROMs no matter where I put ROMs (if I remove Utopia, Protext and Maxam 1.5) or a crash if I don't remove those 3 ROMs.

Any ideas why that might be?

ROMs:

Lower OS6128
0 BASIC1-1
1 nova
2 (usually Utopia)
3 (usually protext)
4 (usually maxam 1.5)
5 orgams
6 <empty>
7 unidos
8 fatfs-p1
9 fatfs-p2
10 <empty>
11 <empty>
12 <empty>
13 <empty>
14 <empty>
15 unidos-parados12

all the rest <empty>

30 monogams
31 orgext

HAL6128

...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

m_dr_m

@GUNHED  I still have to upload the sources in a proper repository (e.g. framagit)!
When I do that, I will start with ORG.O, which use DISC_IN_OPEN and co!
The editor also use a bit of firmware. As I plan to add RSX allowing to assemble without the editor, it will become easier to adapt/test the "core" of Orgams.
I bet F-OS's editor is ultra-fast, yet Orgams's editor is tightly integrated (e.g. for CONTROL-ENTER that goes at the definition of a label, CONTROL-* that goes to the next occurrence, auto-completion etc), relying on pre-assembled source rather that textual representation.

@zhulien Yes you need BRICBRAC.ROM (all the ROMs must be re-installed, since the version matters!). Sorry the error message isn't more explicit.
The crash isn't normal. What does
?HIMEM gives? At home I use Protext and FatFs Node, bringing HIMEM down to A100 IIRC.

zhulien

thanks, it even work somewhat well (a little flicker) with the new OS ROM build I just made - but I am using them in WinApe.

m_dr_m

Hmmm... What kind of flicker? With new RSX |ORGLOAD that's normal, as it is not yet polished UI-wise.
Otherwise that's not normal, and I'd love to hear how to reproduce!

zhulien

a little flicker at the top 2cm of the screen or so - but only when using the 2 ROM version of the OS ROM that I built and is available for download in the other thread.  I'd say most likely it's something I have done or missed - not everything is compatible yet, but it is very stable (except for the inks not working correctly). 

m_dr_m

Oh interesting! What does this 2-ROM OS do? I haven't found the other thread yet!

The firmware is still present with the editor and monitor.
I redirect B941 (verifying at init time that is the the actual address at 39).
I call the regular interrupt routine before handling the display (CRTC rupture and raster). If the routine takes too much time with altered firmware, it would explains the flicker.

Oh! I read too fast. If the inks aren't working, well there you have it! Before the status bar, the firmware is meant to set the border.

zhulien

m_dr_m

Orgams GG beta 3 is ready!

Changes since GG beta2
  • Editor: bookmarks (CONTROL-B + key to register, CONTROL-SHIFT + key to jump, CONTROL-RETURN to jump back)
  • |ORGRESET to clear all sources (useful combined with |orgload)
  • Fix #17A [Orgload] Doesn't restore 8000-A000 memory.
  • Fix #179 [Assembler] Dangling 'ELSE' raises "Label inconsistency"
  • Fix #166 [Editor] Cannot switch source if filename is longer than 52 chars.
  • CONTROL-O when file is modified: instead of "Continue Y/N", propose to save.