News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

UniDOS, the new multi-device AMSDOS replacement

Started by OffseT, 15:51, 24 January 21

Previous topic - Next topic

OffseT

Futurs' is pleased to announce the very first release of UniDOS, the new AMSDOS replacement ROM with evolutive multi-device support.

All information can be found here:
UniDOS
https://unidos.cpcscene.net

m_dr_m

Wow, great project and great doc !

HAL6128

What do you mean with:

"Important:On CPC6128, it is necessary to patch the motherboard to be able to deactivate the internal ROM number 7 (other CPC models do not have this problem)."
How is it done?
By the way: great concept. And extensions like: path, symbolic links etc...  :D
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

GUNHED

Quote from: HAL 6128 on 19:59, 24 January 21
What do you mean with:
"Important:On CPC6128, it is necessary to patch the motherboard to be able to deactivate the internal ROM number 7 (other CPC models do not have this problem)."
How is it done?
That's only needed for few CPC6128. Most of them can replace ROM 7 too.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

GUNHED

Quote from: OffseT on 15:51, 24 January 21
Futurs' is pleased to announce the very first release of UniDOS, the new AMSDOS replacement ROM with evolutive multi-device support.

To unify everything (DOS like) is a great idea.
Well, I had the same idea over 30 years ago, it was to have one system for every know hardware expansion. However I decided for OS instead of DOS. Both has it's advantages.

It would be great to have UniDOS 'open' in a way that I can use it with FutureOS too. This would save work and ROM slots. Of course I can contribute with support for Vortex F1-S, F1-D and Dobbertin HD20 hard-disc if you're interested.
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

m_dr_m

OffseT

Quote from: m_dr_m on 11:50, 25 January 21
So, does
|dir,"**/3d*"
work? (:
Not yet. Wildcards are only working for the final part of a path for now (drive:my/path/3d*)

Quote from: HAL 6128 on 19:59, 24 January 21What do you mean with: "Important:On CPC6128, it is necessary to patch the motherboard to be able to deactivate the internal ROM number 7 (other CPC models do not have this problem)." How is it done?
You have information about how to patch the more common CPC6128 motherboard revision here:
(basically: how to add a switch so that the internal ROM 7 can be disabled)
http://quasar.cpcscene.net/doku.php?id=electronique:rom7

OffseT

Quote from: GUNHED on 22:18, 24 January 21
It would be great to have UniDOS 'open' in a way that I can use it with FutureOS too. This would save work and ROM slots. Of course I can contribute with support for Vortex F1-S, F1-D and Dobbertin HD20 hard-disc if you're interested.

What do you mean by 'open'?
Both UniDOS and DOS Nodes entry points are 'open' already.

GUNHED

Open in a way, that the source is available, or at least an entry point documentation.
Is it possible the the big link in the first post is broken? It points to itself seemingly.

OffseT

Quote from: GUNHED on 18:03, 25 January 21Is it possible the the big link in the first post is broken? It points to itself seemingly.

Actually, it seems to be broken when using some browsers (here it is working with Wayfarer but links to itself with Odyssey, maybe there is the same issue with some PC browsers).

Basically, it should open a Google Translate of https://unidos.cpcscene.net

pelrun

There's a forum bug that appears to affect links where the displayed text isn't the URL, randomly changing the link destination to other URL's that have been posted. Putting the URL directly into the message appears to always work.

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Excellent work. This is just what the CPC needs.

I have a 464 with Albireo (and DDI-1 or DDI-4 depending on which one decides to work on the day), so will have to wait for the 464 compatible version, and maybe get a flash rom thingy for the M4 finally.

zhulien

Quote from: OffseT on 15:51, 24 January 21

All information can be found here:
UniDOS

Sounds great - seems more than just myself wants this... any chance to collaborate to come up with a single standard solution?

https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/programming/cpc-drivers/

https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/programming/driver-roms/

It would be great if there was a standardized solution to drivers on CPC - rather than a PowerUP WarpOS situation or the current hodge bodge of incompatible solutions.  It is a good time to do it given the huge number of awesome hardwares over the past few years.

zhulien

I propose we create a group of people with a goal to achieve a common goal - someone to maintain the tech docs website, a small group to work on the tech design, and spread a bit of the driver development / proof of concepts around.  OffseT? m_dr_m? Prodatron? and hardware creators themselves will hopefully follow the driver standard.

OffseT

Quote from: zhulien on 02:08, 27 January 21
It would be great if there was a standardized solution to drivers on CPC - rather than a PowerUP WarpOS situation or the current hodge bodge of incompatible solutions.  It is a good time to do it given the huge number of awesome hardwares over the past few years.
UniDOS is a standard proposal at DOS level, not at driver level. And the main purpose is of course the AMSDOS compatibility.

Some standard drivers could be also created to help DOS node developpers, but it might be a bit overkill. Maybe the point is rather to create filesystem libraries (for FAT or whatever) with configurable read/write routines, so that several DOS nodes could share the same code (for instance the ones for IDE and for Ram Disk could).

But this was totally out of the scope of UniDOS (which is a DOS level abstraction), and also out of the scope of Albireo DOS node since all filesystem support is done in hardware by the Albireo card.

OffseT

Quote from: GUNHED on 22:18, 24 January 21
Of course I can contribute with support for Vortex F1-S, F1-D and Dobbertin HD20 hard-disc if you're interested.
Of course, the more DOS nodes we will have, the best it will be. 8) 
But I also guess that most people interested by UniDOS will ask for DOS node related to new school expansions that are easy to obtain instead of these good old ones which are hard to get.

GUNHED

Quote from: OffseT on 19:01, 29 January 21
Of course, the more DOS nodes we will have, the best it will be. 8) 
But I also guess that most people interested by UniDOS will ask for DOS node related to new school expansions that are easy to obtain instead of these good old ones which are hard to get.
Very true! It's a pity that nobody does 'clones' of the old stuff. Well, since software there already.
I need to have to look up how DOS nodes and all that work. Guess I wait until there is some version out, which will not change too much in future. Makes the work more easy, and as you told interest may be quite small.

zhulien

Quote from: OffseT on 18:51, 29 January 21
UniDOS is a standard proposal at DOS level, not at driver level. And the main purpose is of course the AMSDOS compatibility.

Some standard drivers could be also created to help DOS node developpers, but it might be a bit overkill. Maybe the point is rather to create filesystem libraries (for FAT or whatever) with configurable read/write routines, so that several DOS nodes could share the same code (for instance the ones for IDE and for Ram Disk could).

But this was totally out of the scope of UniDOS (which is a DOS level abstraction), and also out of the scope of Albireo DOS node since all filesystem support is done in hardware by the Albireo card.

I think the approach from an AMSDOS compatibility point of view is the best option, so UniDOS will be awesome and likely the preferred new DOS.  If there is enough room on the ROM (or ROMS), then standard routines for developers would be awesome too.  Support for mass storage and floppies (and even TAPE) is a must.  At least reading from TAPE so it isn't too hard to transfer from tape to SDCARD for example. 

How is UniDOS to be configured for each system?  Does it autodetect different hardware?  i.e. GOTEK in mass storage mode vs floppy emulation mode? SSD on X-Mass? SD Cards on Symbiface 2 or M4?  Virtual drives over Wifi?  Perhaps inbuilt support for GR8CLOUDSERVER?

roudoudou

Quote from: zhulien on 12:09, 30 January 21
If there is enough room on the ROM (or ROMS), then standard routines for developers would be awesome too.
CPC can manage up to 256 roms :D
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

OffseT

Quote from: zhulien on 12:09, 30 January 21
How is UniDOS to be configured for each system?  Does it autodetect different hardware?  i.e. GOTEK in mass storage mode vs floppy emulation mode? SSD on X-Mass? SD Cards on Symbiface 2 or M4?  Virtual drives over Wifi?  Perhaps inbuilt support for GR8CLOUDSERVER?
UniDOS drives are dynamically handled; you will see them only if the related hardware/network was detected.
For hardwares with multiple modes/configuration, such as Albireo or GOTEK, it is up to the DOS node to add the required configuration RSX.

About the tape handling, a TAPE: drive is already implemented internally, but it was disabled in this first release because it required more testing. It will hopefully be activated in the next release, and like floppy discs related drivers, it is also auto-detected (means that TAPE: won't show on 6128plus, unless you manually soldered one on the mainboard :P ).

Quote from: roudoudou on 14:02, 30 January 21CPC can manage up to 256 roms :D
UniDOS DOS nodes are only detected within the first 32 ROMs. But it is something which could be expanded in the future.

Targhan

@OffseT I tested your amazing work, but... cannot make it work.

I have a CPC 6128, not patched. My ROM config is:
ROM 4: ZERO
ROM 5: ALBIREO
ROM 6: UNIDOS
(plus others)

I have the Albireo plugged in, and the FlashGordon for the ROMs.

The CPC boots and writes "*Error: UniDOS found no NVRAM*, so it seems the "DOS Nodes" are not found... I thought it could be a hardware problem from the Albireo, but I tested it using AT2 (serial communication) and it works perfectly.
Plus since I installed the ZERO rom, it should work anyway.

Any idea? Thanks!
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

OffseT

Quote from: Targhan on 12:15, 06 February 21
The CPC boots and writes "*Error: UniDOS found no NVRAM*
Do you have the MicroSD card installed? (Albireo DOS Node stores NVRAM on the SD Card).

Targhan

Quote from: OffseT on 19:16, 06 February 21Do you have the MicroSD card installed?
Yes, I used the SDCard I was using in the M4 board, so I'm sure it's working fine.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Targhan

Ah! The SDCard was in FAT16. I formatted to FAT32 and there is no warning anymore (2 seconds of booting, though). I'll explore UniDOS a bit further!
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Targhan

Ok! It seems to work pretty great!!

Some remarks:
- A little note in the doc about FAT16 not working could help some people (like me :)).
- It took me a bit of time to understand that ":" must be put when using the Drive command. ùdrive,"a","SD:" or "DFA:". Maybe a shortcut without ":" could be done? Anyway, there is no direct example in the doc about such simple command, you should add it.
- Also add an example like "load"DFA:"" to show how quickly one can change the drive.

I tested the UMS with a USB key, it works perfectly.

All in all, this is really great, you did a fantastic work. Now I'd like to use more the Albireo, so I should knock at Pulko's door :).
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime