Urgend! Need disk copy tool for stock 6128 that can copy 10 sectors disks

Started by Crazy_Borg, 20:29, 29 March 19

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Borg

Sorry, I searched the whole forum but can't find anything.
There is a fair tomorrow, and I bring my 6128+ machine with me.It has a C4CPC and is otherwise stock. 3" drive is working.
I want to showcase R-Type Reloaded 128k, but I can't get the game onto the machine.
1.) there is no cpr file of the game, and nocart can't convert it (10 sectors mode, not supported).2.) I don't have a 3,5" external floppy CABLE for the plus machine
What I do have is a stock 6128, with a 3" drive and a 3.5" drive hooked up to it. (the cable for classic CPC and PLUS machines is different).I can write the 2 dsk 3" files from the R-type reloaded site onto a 3.5" disk with CPCcopyXP on my PC, and it runs on the CPC 6128 like a dream.
But I can't copy them from the 3.5" disk to the 3" disk on the 6128. I tried Disckit3, Mastercopy, Turbo copy. No dice. I do not own a Gotek/hxc.
Any ideas?
Is there any copy program that can run from disk to do the trick?
words are cheap...words come and go

ComSoft6128

Xexor and Discology are the best disc copying utilities for the CPC, perhaps they would help?

VincentGR

TotO

Discology does... But you have to use the two sides (A B) version an not the dual sided version to make it working on 3". (copy each side separately)
If the 3" do not run properly next, it should be a problem with bad sectors. (you may test first your 3" floppies using MarkError in example)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Crazy_Borg

Thanks for the answers, Xexor did the trick and worked fine when I used my copied 3" disk on the 6128.Sadly, it's the drive in my 6128+ which has gone bad.  :( I now can use CAT to show the contents (or in case of R-Type, display the Highscore Table), but it won't boot up the game. Producing black screens or read errors, not even reaching the stereo sound screen.
Sadly, I tested a few more games. And most games seem won't boot: Winter games, Aliens (UK) and Werner won't work. Rescue on Fractalus and Sam Fox Strip Poker both work.The blank disk I used for R-Type was a NOS one, unwrapped it solely for this.
Well, I imagine a replacement drive is hard to come by, or is there somebody who can repair those? I know a drive from a cpc 6128 won't work because of the missing 12V.

TotO

Quote from: Crazy_Borg on 01:19, 30 March 19The blank disk I used for R-Type was a NOS one, unwrapped it solely for this.
Use MarkError to test your floppy discs. NOS = never used = sectors no more magnetised.
Best are floppy discs used in the time, because the drive kept them magnetised.
I was not aple to make running R-Type on many of them.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

tjohnson

Quote from: Crazy_Borg on 01:19, 30 March 19
Thanks for the answers, Xexor did the trick and worked fine when I used my copied 3" disk on the 6128.Sadly, it's the drive in my 6128+ which has gone bad.  :( I now can use CAT to show the contents (or in case of R-Type, display the Highscore Table), but it won't boot up the game. Producing black screens or read errors, not even reaching the stereo sound screen.
Sadly, I tested a few more games. And most games seem won't boot: Winter games, Aliens (UK) and Werner won't work. Rescue on Fractalus and Sam Fox Strip Poker both work.The blank disk I used for R-Type was a NOS one, unwrapped it solely for this.
Well, I imagine a replacement drive is hard to come by, or is there somebody who can repair those? I know a drive from a cpc 6128 won't wor[size=78%]k because of the missing 12V.[/size]

The fact the drive is doing something might mean it just needs a bit of work, new belt  clean the heads  check the little pad on the black arm inside the drive then calibration.  Bryce can probably help you with that if you aren't minded to do it yourself.

Crazy_Borg

As I said, the copied disk works fine in my 6128. No strange noises, loads straight up. I don't think there are any bad sectors to mark.I assume this is what MarkError does according to the french manual at cpc-power.
That was a new old Stock 3" disk, still sealed in wrapping foil. I can copy it onto another used disc I know working to check if this disk is bad.

Both my CPCs got new drive belts in 2014. I can check it again, but I think the problem will be something else.I can clean the head with some isopropanol, but I have no clue on how to re-calibrate it.

Crazy_Borg

Opened the drive, head looks clean, drive inside is clean too. But belt feels kinda loose.Ordered a pair of new ones (last ones were installed exactly 5 years ago)
In case that fails, I'll try to get in contact with Bryce for calibration.I read about the topic, but I can't do the procedure myself.

tjohnson

Quote from: Crazy_Borg on 00:43, 31 March 19
Opened the drive, head looks clean, drive inside is clean too. But belt feels kinda loose.Ordered a pair of new ones (last ones were installed exactly 5 years ago)
In case that fails, I'll try to get in contact with Bryce for calibration.I read about the topic, but I can't do the procedure myself.
the little felt pad ok on the arm?  it makes a big difference if its worn

Crazy_Borg

I closed the drive up again to prevent it getting duty, but the pad looked OK.Don't know how to tell a worn out felt pad froma fresh one, to be honest. But is was still there, and not worn down to the plastik or anything.
I bought it used, and during opening it I noticed one of the outside screws missing holding the cage around the drive (only 3).I know for sure I haven't lost it the last time I openend it, so someone else might have fiddled with it before me.

tjohnson

Quote from: Crazy_Borg on 16:57, 31 March 19
I closed the drive up again to prevent it getting duty, but the pad looked OK.Don't know how to tell a worn out felt pad froma fresh one, to be honest. But is was still there, and not worn down to the plastik or anything.
I bought it used, and during opening it I noticed one of the outside screws missing holding the cage around the drive (only 3).I know for sure I haven't lost it the last time I openend it, so someone else might have fiddled with it before me.

If I recall they only have 3 as standard

GUNHED

Quote from: Crazy_Borg on 20:29, 29 March 19
(the cable for classic CPC and PLUS machines is different)

Just get an simple adapter to the Plus...

http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Crazy_Borg

New belt installed:
No dice.  :( Still has the same issues.Noticed the "worm axle" of the stepper motor is kind of dry, should I grease it?I have some Tamiya RC gear grease at hand.