News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Anyone still using CP/M ?

Started by banana, 03:12, 23 March 17

Previous topic - Next topic

banana

I'm trying to retrieve some of my files. I'm going by memory and have managed a few things, but ideally I could get all these files transferred in my PC.
Anyone still doing it?

FloppySoftware

floppysoftware.es < NEW URL!!!
cpm-connections.blogspot.com.es

AMSDOS

Haven't used 22DISK in a long time  :o  Don't think I have actually used it to transfer files from Amstrad Disks, I used a program called DOS-COPY on the CPC to write files to PC formatted disks, think it only handled 360k or 720k disks though.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

VincentGR

I do, I'm in the "trying to remember" state

GeoffB17

Hello,

Yes.

I'm still using CP/M, and I still use 22DISK.

What's your actual problem?

Geoff

banana

I am trying to convert my old files so I can see them on my PC, and maybe convert them.
Of course, I have no idea how to convert them or even read them on a Windows machine, I am buying an SD card adapter, hopefully that will help?

GeoffB17

Hello,

Still don't know what you're talking about.   How much should I guess?

What disks are your files on?   How are files stored?   Are (were) they working disks.  Do you have a drive that will read the disks?

If you have ONLY the original machine, and no other drive to attach to that machine, then you've got a problem.  You need a disk/drive that is compatible with something else.   The various options that have been mentioned are based - I assume - on people guessing what you're doing.   People are assuming that you have some means of copying, else you'd not even be thinking about it.

You may need to try to find someone with a machine that CAN do it, i.e. they've got other drive types.  For example, I've got a PCW, and I've got 5.25" and 3.5" drives and can copy (directly or indirectly) to PC disks.   Otherwise, you may need to use a serial link (kermit ?).

If you can attach a SD card, and write to that, OK - assuming the format used will be readable on another computer (i.e. a PC).   You might end up writing to the SD card using a CP/M type format, which the PC may then NOT be able to access?

Geoff

AMSDOS

Quote from: GeoffB17 on 23:19, 23 March 17

Still don't know what you're talking about.   How much should I guess?

I'd be treading carefully about your guesses and just treat it as some ASCII files on some CP/M Formatted discs.

Your Computer Programs

JonB

Hi banana and welcome to the forum.

I think you need to be a bit more specific about your setup.

We might assume, for example, that your files are on one or more 3" disks in one of the Amstrad CP/M formats. If so, your first problem is going to be connecting a 3" drive to your PC so it can read the disks, or connecting a 3.5" drive to your Amstrad machine so that it can write to 3.5" disks that your PC can read (if it even has a floppy drive).

To be honest, it is a bit of a minefield, but if you can get the PC and Amstrad using the same type of disk you can begin.

My 6128 and PCW machines both have 3.5" floppy drives attached. I use a tool on my PC called CPCDiskXP to read 3.5" Amstrad formatted disks. This works with Windows 7. It generates .dsk files (disk images) from the floppy disk. It also has the capability to extract files out of the .dsk image and write them to my PC. It seems to me this is the tool for you. There is also a set of programs called cpmtools that can extract files from a disk image in the same way. Finally we have 22DISK, which works on the floppy disk directly. It can show the directory, copy files to and from it, but it needs to be run on an old school DOS PC with the right sort of floppy disk controller. If you have a PC with XP or later, it is not likely to work (but try it anyway, you never know your luck).

If your Amstrad machine only has a 3" drive, your best bet is going to be to get a serial adapter and use Kermit or XMODEM to transfer the files over a serial link.

Regards
JonB

AMSDOS

If they have a tape lead and are transferring ASCII files, a good USB Voice Recorder with WAV file support (not mp3) should work, it's just a matter of saving the file as if your saving out to Tape (there's a CP/M program just for that), there are a couple of PC programs which can then convert that WAV file into something the emulators can read/or the emulator could even read that WAV file if Disc Drives aren't a option. The only snag with that is having the Tape Lead, Wiring the Record Jack to the Microphone on the Note Taker, the Note Takers these days are digital and as long as WAV is used, there should be no compromise in the audio quality, the Note taker can then be plugged into the PC.

Your Computer Programs

banana

Sorry for not clarifying enough.
I have a 464 and a 6128. Access is either cassette or 3 inch disks. My PCs don't have a 3 inch drive.
What is the best way to get my files on to a Windows PC running Windows 10?
I can then a CP/M emulator in Windows and have access to my files.
Thanks!

GeoffB17

Thanks, more helpful.

Suggestions already made contain a number of relevant lines to follow, prob all dependent on finance and how technical you're prepared to get.

However, you've now somewhat defined a start point, and you've given a destination.

Possibilities may be dependent of what drives you've got available on your PC(s).   If you've got a 3.5" floppy, then maybe look at attaching similar to your amstrad(s).

Note that most emulators may work with disk images, which are a single file which contains all the data (track-by-track) of a 3" disk, and which the emulator accesses as if it was a floppy disk.  So you may need to create the disk image file (.DSK) on the Amstrad and then transfer the file to the PC.

You may be able to find image files made by others for much of the software you have.   I'd certainly suggest installing the emulator and finding some ready made images and proceeding from there.

It is possible to attach a 3" drive to a PC, just as it is possible to attach a 3.5" drive to an Amstrad.   As has also been suggested, you can connect computers via comms link.   Each method had it's own complications, depends on what you'll be most comfortable with.   

There will be people here who have done, or are doing, what you want to do.   Once you're asking the right questions, I'm sure you'll get more helpful answers.

Geoff

banana

Thank you so much for your help!
How would I go about establishing a comm link between my Amstrad and my PC?

AMSDOS

Quote from: banana on 23:01, 25 March 17
Thank you so much for your help!
How would I go about establishing a comm link between my Amstrad and my PC?

That would require a RS232 Serial Port for the CPC and a PC with a Serial Port. A PC with a 25 Pin Serial Port is ideal, otherwise a connector (25-Pin to 9-Pin) or a 25-Pin to 9-Pin Serial cable is required, don't think I've seen a Serial Cable like that.

There are other alternative methods for transferring files from CPC to PC which can be found here in the FAQ another example is the Parallel Cable, though that FAQ is quite old now & hasn't been updated in over an Decade :(

Your Computer Programs

banana

would an RS232  serial to USB work?

AMSDOS

Quote from: banana on 20:00, 26 March 17
would an RS232  serial to USB work?

I'm not sure as an USB in a sense is Plug & Play. Serial Port are defined as such with a speed, data bits, parity, etc to allow communication between one device to another.

This site below suggests that for modern computers without a serial port, they need a Serial to USB converter, I presume this is what you mean and not just a USB Connector one end and Serial on the other?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_port#Parity

Unfortunately my link to the Amstrad FAQ with all the Amstrad to PC Transfer Link didn't make it into my last post, so here that one is:

https://www.genesis8bit.fr/amstrad/faq/amstrad.php#A3

Your Computer Programs