News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

WYZTracker

Started by AugustoRuiz, 23:44, 16 March 09

Previous topic - Next topic

AugustoRuiz

Hello all!
I'd like to introduce you a new AY chip tracker, called WYZTracker. It is developed using .NET Framework 2.0 (Windows only, sorry), so you need to install this first:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

The tracker can be downloaded here:
http://augusto.ruiz.googlepages.com/WYZTracker.0.2.19.rar

Right now it's in Spanish only, but I hope to have an english version soon...
Cheers!

Octoate

Great to see the release of your tracker (especially as I want to test it with the CPCRSlib :)), but it crashes on my Windows Vista system. It seems that you are trying to read / write a registry key at a place where you aren't allowed to do it. Here is the logfile:

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Der Zugriff auf den Registrierungsschlüssel "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wyz" wurde verweigert.
   bei Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)
   bei Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey, RegistryKeyPermissionCheck permissionCheck, RegistrySecurity registrySecurity)
   bei Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey)
   bei BrendanGrant.Helpers.FileAssociation.FileAssociationInfo.Create(FileAssociationInfo file)
   bei BrendanGrant.Helpers.FileAssociation.FileAssociationInfo.Create()
   bei BrendanGrant.Helpers.FileAssociation.FileAssociationInfo.Create(String progId, PerceivedTypes perceivedType, String contentType, String[] openwithList)
   bei BrendanGrant.Helpers.FileAssociation.FileAssociationInfo.Create(String progId)
   bei WYZTracker.Program.checkWYZFileAssociation()
   bei WYZTracker.Program.Main(String[] args)\nSystem.UnauthorizedAccessException: Der Zugriff auf den Registrierungsschlüssel "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wyz" wurde verweigert.
   bei Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey, RegistryKeyPermissionCheck permissionCheck, RegistrySecurity registrySecurity)
   bei BrendanGrant.Helpers.FileAssociation.FileAssociationInfo.Create(FileAssociationInfo file)
   bei BrendanGrant.Helpers.FileAssociation.FileAssociationInfo.Create(String progId, PerceivedTypes perceivedType, String contentType, String[] openwithList)
   bei BrendanGrant.Helpers.FileAssociation.FileAssociationInfo.Create(String progId)
   bei WYZTracker.Program.Main(String[] args)\nSystem.UnauthorizedAccessException: Der Zugriff auf den Registrierungsschlüssel "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wyz" wurde verweigert.
   bei WYZTracker.Program.Main(String[] args)\n

--

Gryzor

Same here, under Win7 latest beta:

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the registry key 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wyz' is denied.
   at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)
   at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey, RegistryKeyPermissionCheck permissionCheck, RegistrySecurity registrySecurity)
   at BrendanGrant.Helpers.FileAssociation.FileAssociationInfo.Create(FileAssociationInfo file)
   at BrendanGrant.Helpers.FileAssociation.FileAssociationInfo.Create()
   at BrendanGrant.Helpers.FileAssociation.FileAssociationInfo.Create(String progId, PerceivedTypes perceivedType, String contentType, String[] openwithList)
   at BrendanGrant.Helpers.FileAssociation.FileAssociationInfo.Create(String progId)
   at WYZTracker.Program.checkWYZFileAssociation()
   at WYZTracker.Program.Main(String[] args)\nSystem.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the registry key 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.wyz' is denied.
   at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)
   at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey, RegistryKeyPermissionCheck permissionCheck, RegistrySecurity registrySecurity)
   at BrendanGrant.Helpers.FileAssociation.FileAssociationInfo.Create(FileAssociationInfo file)
   at BrendanGrant.Helpers.FileAssociation.FileAssociationInfo.Create()
   at BrendanGrant.Helpers.FileAssociation.FileAssociationInfo.Create(String progId, PerceivedTypes perceivedType, String contentType, String[] openwithList)
   at BrendanGrant.Helpers.FileAssociation.FileAssociationInfo.Create(String progId)
   at WYZTracker.Program.checkWYZFileAssociation()
   at WYZTracker.Program.Main(String[] args)\n

BUT by running it as Admid I got it to run. Gotta go play now :)

Questions:
-are there any songs I can load?
-can you send me the localisation file so I can translate it?

Cheers
Gryzor

AugustoRuiz

Thanks! But I will create a localized version as soon as I have some time ;)
Please, download again. The error should be fixed, but Vista/Windows 7 users will not have .wyz files associated with WYZTracker (association can be created manually, though).

AugustoRuiz

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:16, 17 March 09
Questions:
-are there any songs I can load?
-can you send me the localisation file so I can translate it?

Cheers
Gryzor
Maybe you can ask for them to:
DaDMaN (you can find him at Amstrad.es forum)
WYZ (you can find him at computeremuzone.com forum)
I have no sample songs that I can freely distribute right now, sorry... :(

AugustoRuiz

Here comes a little introduccion on how to use it:
WYZTracker is pattern-based (though the player isn't). A pattern is a sequence of notes and effects. Patterns can have any length (a song can have patterns with different lengths too!).
To add a pattern, click the "Añadir Patrón" button (looks like a sheet with a + symbol). A new pattern will appear in the pattern list that is located at the left of the tracker. To delete a pattern, click the "Eliminar Patrón" button (like a sheet with a minus).
To edit notes, click on the pattern viewer (the black and green part of the screen). You can move the current selected note clicking with the mouse or using the arrow keys and Next/Prev  Page.
The keyboards acts as some sort of "Virtual Keyboard", where the Z letter is the C note of the current "Base Octave" selected (which is visible on the top of the screen as "Octava Base"). The S key will be C#, the X key is D, the D key is D#, the C key is E... Also, the Q key is the C note of (Base Octave + 1) octave.
If the selection is in the FX channel, all keys work the same way, putting the current FX into the selected note.
Also, you can configure if inserting a note makes the cursor go forward (and how many rows) using the "Incremento Automático" option at the Toolbar. You can use the 0 value to make the cursor stay where it is after inserting a note. Using F4/F5 you can change this value also.
To change the base octave you can use the "Octava Base" combobox, or use F2/F3.
To edit and create instruments and FX, you must use the upper right controls.
An instrument is a set of volumes (shown as green bars). Loops can be created easily (in spanish it's "Bucles"). To edit them, just left click in the grid shown in the Instrument Editor.
Clicking with the right mouse button you can select whether the instrument current position will also change the current octave (up or down).
The Sawtooth instrument cannot be edited. It's used mainly for bass lines, using the AY envelopes.
FX are a little more complex. For each FX position, three values can be defined: Volume (green bars), noise frequency (red bars) and note frequency (yellow bars).
More things that can be done: Import/Export instruments and FX (see the toolbar below the instrument/FX selector), export to MUS files (which are used by WYZ replayer) - this option will also generate an ASM file with the instrument/fx definitions.
Here is also a sample song created by me (so it won't sound great ;) )

EDIT: Here are the files that need to be translated so that we can have a multilanguage tracker! ;)

Gryzor

Hey, I'll give a go at translating it this evening if I get the time. Meanwhile, would you care to write a small article on the wiki, perhaps with this info?

AugustoRuiz

Sure! I'll give it a try this evening.
Can I upload the current version to the wiki (that is, does the wiki support "attachments" or "files"?).
If so, maybe I'll use the wiki has some sort of "home page" for the tracker (if that's Ok with you)...

Gryzor

Yes you can and yes you can!

-The file is small enough so you can just upload the zip the usual way and link to it from the article
-The article can be indeed a copy/paste, but since we try to keep the wiki as 'encyclopedia'-like as possible, I may edit it so that it's more like an article. For instance we avoid expressions like "xyz is an amazing program that I made myself and it just rocks!", you get the idea :D

If you need any help do let me know!
G

AugustoRuiz

Well, here's the initial version of the Wiki article:
http://cpcwiki.eu/index.php/WYZTracker

Cheers!

Ygdrazil

Excellent program and very good and informative article.

Well even installed .NET 2.0 (in my virtualbox) to try out the tracker. And the program is really nice!

/Ygdrazil

Gryzor

Under Win7 (present beta) it starts fine, no problems any more. It does crash when it exits, but who really cares...

mahlemiut

Crashed for me under WinXP SP3, won't run under Mono (Ubuntu 8.04), runs under Windows 7 (beta), but I don't have an audio driver installed (I'm lazy), so I can't hear any output. :)
- Barry Rodewald

Gryzor

Quote from: mahlemiut on 11:20, 21 March 09
Crashed for me under WinXP SP3, won't run under Mono (Ubuntu 8.04), runs under Windows 7 (beta), but I don't have an audio driver installed (I'm lazy), so I can't hear any output. :)

What kind of sound card do you have and you need a sound driver??

mahlemiut

It's running via Virtualbox, on my Ubuntu PC.  Virtualbox sets up AC'97 support, so simply getting the right update from Windows Update got sound working.

Requiring 3D hardware acceleration for Solitaire to run at a decent rate is a bit rough, though :)
- Barry Rodewald

Gryzor

Heheh, that's a bit on the extreme side... Is the Win7 version of Solitaire upgraded? Going to check it out...

Ooh, lovely! Can I ask you something? Are you running the x86 or the 64x version? If you have the 32-bit version, would you mind sending it to me?

mahlemiut

I don't really have the bandwidth to send it (I'm limited to about 3GB/month), and and 256kbps it would take a long while.  The version I have (which is 32-bit), came on a DVD included with the latest issue of New Zealand PC World.  I thought that was convenient, so I gave it a try. :)
- Barry Rodewald

Gryzor

Hahaha, no mate, I meant the executable of the game itself, not the entire operating system :D

genesis8

Hi,

any news about an new version with spanish and english interface ?

Devilmarkus

Quote from: AugustoRuiz on 21:05, 20 March 09
Well, here's the initial version of the Wiki article:
http://cpcwiki.eu/index.php/WYZTracker

Cheers!

Some important info:
Please do not modify any pages in Wiki @ the moment!
We are still installing it, so it maybe that the whole Wiki will be erased & imported new...
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Gryzor

Hey, don't say it like that (and you're off-topic, too! :p ), it sounds scary! Plus, the old post was from March :D

Anyhow, all changes will be imported in the new wiki as well, one way or the other...

AugustoRuiz

Quote from: genesis8 on 15:00, 20 September 09
Hi,

any news about an new version with spanish and english interface ?
I'm on it. Using resources to provide multilanguague isn't easy to test, as my computer always tries to load the UI in spanish... :(

AugustoRuiz

Hi!

Long time no see... Just a quick note to let you know a new version is on the works, with multiplaform support (Windows with .NET Framework, Linux with Mono), multiple target computers (Amstrad CPC/MSX/Spectrum), multiple languages, and so on.

I'm looking for some tester to check that all english translations make sense, and possibly the inclusion of some other languages.

Please, if somebody is interested, drop a message here, send me an email or whatever, and I'll provide a link to the closed beta.

Have a nice day!

robcfg

I'd be glad to help you  ;D

Just send me a PM with the link and what you'd like me to test.

Nice to see you again around here  ;)

AugustoRuiz

Hi robcfg!

PM sent with the link. Thank you very much!

French, German, Greek, Polish, Russian speakers will be very much appreciated :D