News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Anyone interested in a brand new Sinclair ZX80 case?

Started by 1024MAK, 16:36, 31 December 19

Previous topic - Next topic

1024MAK

A member of the Sinclair ZX World forum is trying to get a run of brand new Sinclair ZX80 cases manufactured.

He says this:
Quote from: jomac
I've been working hard recently in getting together different manufacturers in order to produce an EXACT copy of the Sinclair ZX80 case, either the original, or the later injection moulded version.

This case would be commercially manufactured using the exact same plastics, trimmed and cut out using a CNC, screen printed in exactly the same way with the stickers produced and attached. When i say exact, i mean exact.!

I am hoping the final price will be around £55 posted in the UK, final price depends on the interest.

A lot of effort has gone into this, and was never intended as a commercial venture, but after discussing the idea in the FaceBook groups i was inundated with requests for more information.
Quote from: jomacThe final price will be £49.95 plus postage and there will be 4 versions of the case. Antenna hole to the left for UK etc, hole to the right for USA etc, hole in the centre for clones and one with no hole.

If the remaining problems are ironed out, the arrangements will likely be that I will take payment and send the cases out to any CPCWiki forum members that want them.

So if you are interested in buying one or more, please reply in this thread. Please let me know how many you wish to buy and which version (four choices).

Note that at this stage, consider this a pre-order list. I will post again when I have more information.

Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

Gryzor

This was a thing of beauty. Lovely design. I'm tempted, just as a decision l decoration piece. Are there any photos?.

1024MAK

The new cases have not yet been manufactured yet, so there are no photos yet.

Apart from the option on where (if any) the hole for the TV RF aerial output goes, the intention is that they will look exactly the same as an original ZX80 case.

An original ZX80 looks like this:

Please note that the keypad/keyboard is not included (it's not part of the case, but instead fits on top of the PCB). Replacement keypad/keyboard "membranes" are available on Sell My Retro. You would then still need a board to fix it to. I don't have a link to a new replica ZX80 PCB, but they have been sold on eBay before.

Mark

Gryzor

No keyboard, eh? Makes sense, but it becomes expensive 😟

Bryce

It'd be an nice addition for the ZXMore I built a while back, but for a plastic half-shell the price is way too high.

Bryce.

1024MAK

The problem is low demand means tooling and set-up costs contributes significantly to the unit price  :(

No easy way round this (unless you use 3D printing). Note that these ARE NOT being 3D printed. But are being vacuum formed and screen printed.

Quote from: jomacVacuum forming is hellishly expensive when you consider that machining the moulds alone will set you back circa £1,200 and that doesnt include the costs of someone doing the CAD file in the first place. Then someone has to CAD the CNC for the cut outs and holes, someone else has to set up the screens for the screen printing.

Mark

Gryzor

Well yes, but this doesn't mean it's not expensive 🙂

Bryce

siccoyote

Quotedoesn't include the costs of someone doing the CAD file in the first place.
I dunno, if I had access to an original case I could knock a cad design up in half an hour and I'm an idiot.
I made a vacume form case not that much different to that at school with a block of wood.
But it has been 20+ years I guess wood is more expensive now.

Bryce

Quote from: siccoyote on 05:48, 03 January 20
I dunno, if I had access to an original case I could knock a cad design up in half an hour and I'm an idiot.
I made a vacume form case not that much different to that at school with a block of wood.
But it has been 20+ years I guess wood is more expensive now.

Maybe they are using African Blackwood?

Bryce.

Gryzor

Bryce

Gryzor