News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Selling a C4CPC cartridge?

Started by TheRealOC, 14:12, 04 July 23

Previous topic - Next topic

norecess464

Of course, the CPC community is NOT limited to this forum, that would be a crazy statement to do. We all know other people on other forums/media and that makes the CPC community as a whole.

> People with items for sale or whatever are free to do whatever the hell they like once it's theirs to own.
Yes, but we are not talking of a XBOX controller we can buy at Amazon.
We are talking about hand-made devices created by their authors on their spare time, in a very, very, very low quantity, trying to please the few people interested in the product. They do amazing job to look professional but let's keep in mind it's not.
When I buy a XBOX controller, I don't care about the seller or who touched it last in Microsoft company before me.
When I buy a C4CPC device (let's focus back on the thread loll), I DO care about the seller because I know Gerald had to spend hours to create a new batch. Buying for cheap such a device and reselling it at high price is NOT correct, but of course, there is no a written rule, it's all about respecting the author's work or not (cf. "Gerald vs. Microsoft", it's not the same scale, do you agree?). And for most of those authors, they are often laying around in this forum, we know them directly/indirectly, hence the notion of "community" around here.

Going further with another example.
It's like if tomorrow, I release my game Sonic GX, available for free to everyone ; and 1 month later I see people selling Sonic GX cartridges for 100$ on Ebay. I don't know what would be my reaction, but I would probably feel cheated, and angry. I guess the same feelings apply here to hardware makers.

Finally, we can think differently on this specific topic and that's perfectly fine. :-) I'm expressing my view here, and I'm not asking anyone to follow me in the process of a better world :-) I take the full responsibility about what I wrote today, and I'm not claiming that what I wrote is everyone's opinion here.
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

TotO

5000th post on cpc-wiki to said thank you to everyone that I love on CPC around the world. There are still people who are part of a community where the passion for the machine, the fact of doing things with it and helping to keep it going, still exists today.

When I returned to the CPC in 2010, I was very excited to see how this machine was still present in the hearts of people who made it last during 20 years of absence for my part. I wanted to bring my stone to this building by participating in many software or hardware projects, without ever thinking for a single second that there must be money to be made. It's even quite the opposite, the recognition of the investment of time spent by others led me to do the same for 10 years!

I'm sorry to see that more and more people think money first and think that's normal, because it's not. Don't be surprised if the prices go up, as this mindset directly contributes to transforming the approach around this machine.

Again last week, I was offered to be payed for the margin made by the sale of expansion cards that I made 5 years ago. The idea of making money on the back of the work of others exist (C4CPC on eBay) but it is not systematic for everyone.

There are people who exchange or donate equipment, who help each other, who really share this passion around CPC and it is with them that I want to contribute, without asking anything in return. Hey, that worked during 30 years, why changing?!

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

Congrats for your 5th K post, and thanks for all your contributions and offerings!

In my mind the dichotomy we're discussing here is a false one.

Capitalism? Sure. Someone has the right to sell something he owns at the price be wants? Sure.

Do we have the right to criticize that asshole for benefiting this way off the good will of others? Definitely.

So I'm not even sure why the discussion took this turn, these arguments really don't apply... 

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: norecess464 on 01:24, 02 August 23Of course, the CPC community is NOT limited to this forum, that would be a crazy statement to do. We all know other people on other forums/media and that makes the CPC community as a whole.

> People with items for sale or whatever are free to do whatever the hell they like once it's theirs to own.
Yes, but we are not talking of a XBOX controller we can buy at Amazon.
We are talking about hand-made devices created by their authors on their spare time, in a very, very, very low quantity, trying to please the few people interested in the product. They do amazing job to look professional but let's keep in mind it's not.
When I buy a XBOX controller, I don't care about the seller or who touched it last in Microsoft company before me.
When I buy a C4CPC device (let's focus back on the thread loll), I DO care about the seller because I know Gerald had to spend hours to create a new batch. Buying for cheap such a device and reselling it at high price is NOT correct, but of course, there is no a written rule, it's all about respecting the author's work or not (cf. "Gerald vs. Microsoft", it's not the same scale, do you agree?). And for most of those authors, they are often laying around in this forum, we know them directly/indirectly, hence the notion of "community" around here.

Going further with another example.
It's like if tomorrow, I release my game Sonic GX, available for free to everyone ; and 1 month later I see people selling Sonic GX cartridges for 100$ on Ebay. I don't know what would be my reaction, but I would probably feel cheated, and angry. I guess the same feelings apply here to hardware makers.

Finally, we can think differently on this specific topic and that's perfectly fine. :-) I'm expressing my view here, and I'm not asking anyone to follow me in the process of a better world :-) I take the full responsibility about what I wrote today, and I'm not claiming that what I wrote is everyone's opinion here.
With this further explanation, I completely understand where you're coming from. God knows I agree with a lot of it. Although we should remember that Amstrad didnt exactly have a reputation for high quality electronics in the first place.

Reverse engineering has been around since year dot.

If there was more supply for the original product, clones wouldnt exist. But when it comes to certain products, once its gone, its gone and clones are the only way to obtain certain devices.

The C4CPC is a great device, I've bought one from Gerald before but it also cause some of the damage you talk about. The GX4000 was worth about a fiver before the C4CPC's existence and then the prices skyrocketed within a year or so. Who's at fault there?

It really is a double edged sword.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

norecess464

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 10:53, 02 August 23With this further explanation, I completely understand where you're coming from. God knows I agree with a lot of it.
It's cuddle time! :)

Quote from: TotO on 08:55, 02 August 235000th post on cpc-wiki
Woohoo! Congrats @TotO . Time flies!
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

xesrjb

,,The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."

xesrjb

,,The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."