News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Latest on ebay

Started by steve, 13:54, 05 September 11

Previous topic - Next topic

||C|-|E||

I had never seen such a device before either. I was one of those copying the tapes in the dual cassette deck of my parents audio system...

dodogildo

Quote from: Dizrythmia on 05:06, 08 February 16

I assume this thing would remove any protection or speedlocks, hence it would be a better option than a tape to tape copying deck.

Maybe the sole purpose was just writing the tape on the built-in tape deck. Assuming the deck will be able to read the final result with minimum errors.

M'enfin!

Cholo

Quote from: khaz on 03:45, 08 February 16
I thought copying a data cassette was as simple as copying an audio cassette? Why would you need such apparatus? I know nothing about cassettes and computers.

The majority of commercial tape games on all 8bit computer systems was all using different creative ways of storing the data on cassette tape (and similar disc as well). The normal amstrad loading system is infact very userfriendly using a 2kb "Block" loading system that supports rewinding if meeting an error. You will meet this with many early games like the Amsoft brand and Elite brand games.

I guess first layer of protecting your data was using the P "protect" command when saving your data, however this just changed a byte (or bit?) in tape file header, so if you tried to "load" or "cat"alogue or "list" it .. it didnt show anything. Of cause this only fooled hiding stuff from your mother, as its not hidden when loading from machine code or from people who know where to poke the file header.

Commerical software however we are taking about some much more elaborate stuff as they did all kinds of tape mastering stuff like weak signals, odd syncs, crc memory checks, 100s of tiny data chunks written close togehter. All done to make it harder to dublicate the original tape .. aka if you try to copy it in a double tape deck perhaps the "weak signals" dosnt get copied because the deck think its background noise etc. However it should be mentioned that quite a few "protected" games can still be copied in a tape deck if you use the right settings & high enough volume (if i recall right).

So they had different loading ways, "but why didnt you just load the game the same way as they did and make a copy of the data?"- i hear you ask. Sure enough, the first part of the game contains the data "loader". However it was usually encryped behind a wall of system dependant commands, like 117 Xor commands. To explain it simply: trying to decode/look at the code changes the system aka "butterfly effect" and the next part of the code is ruined. Getting past this required some brainpower, but was possible as a small chunk of the 464 and more notably the second 64k memory bank of the 6128 can survive a "warm reset" aka reseting the while its still on (not the on/off switch). Of cause when the Multiface 2 & similar cards came out all you had to do was press the "magic button".

Quote from: Dizrythmia on 05:06, 08 February 16
I was thinking the same thing. How nuts?

I assume this thing would remove any protection or speedlocks, hence it would be a better option than a tape to tape copying deck. I can understand not wanting to use your original tapes, I don't do that myself. Why not use CDTs instead? It would save you $600AU+

Well, i really dont know, but from reading the wiki i assumed this device would work like a double tape deck .. aka making a 1-1 backup preserving mostly everything including the protection as the software will "listen" correctly (right volume) and not accidentally think that a weak signal is background noice etc. Again i have no idea how effective the software/cart actually is but i assume it at least can copy some of the early speedlock & spectrum loaders. Again back then it was a "protection race" as once someone "defeated" a protecting a better one was made. I noticed the spectrum Doubler had like 3-4 versions so one must suspects limited compatability with later protections.

The software on the other side of the tape i assume is just a normal file copy program that copies normal amstrad 2kb block files that has been saved with the basic "P" command hiding it from Cat, load, list etc. This is nothing special and you dont need the cart to do this at all & you can use any other file copy program like Amsback, jl-copy etc. to "unprotect" those files.

If you want to remove speedlock protections i think there is a series of Bonzo programs that helps with that.

Ah yes, i do use CDT's too, infact i got plent of ways to get data & games onto my 464, so its completely a luxurary issue to feed my cassette file loading/copying fetish. The experience of loading up tape games has definately become obsolete. Sitting there with a cup of coffee feeding my nostolgia loading up a tape game who know what will happen? .. will we get a loading screen, maybe the screen loads in reverse or reverse colours? Maybe there is a small counter showing how much time is left to load? Maybe some music will play while loading? All things youll never experience if you load up the disc verision.

Audronic

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

||C|-|E||

Too bad that is monochrome and in Spain  :-X

Dr Tiger Ninestein

I've been looking for this for ages but never it seems to come up..... until now.

Is it overpriced though?

amstrad game amstrad games computer amstrad stryker in the crypts of trogan game

dodogildo

Quote from: Dr Tiger Ninestein on 18:26, 10 February 16
I've been looking for this for ages but never it seems to come up..... until now.

Is it overpriced though?

Contact the seller and ask him a fair price. I know this seller, he's a fair guy. But he doesn't like cheap negotiating :)
He's always listing loads of rare / obscure games...
M'enfin!

EgoTrip

Is it overpriced though?

amstrad game amstrad games computer amstrad stryker in the crypts of trogan game

Ridiculously so. It was a £2.99 budget game originally and to cap it all off its being sold as untested so theres a 50/50 chance of it not working. It all boils down greed.

dodogildo

Quote from: EgoTrip on 19:19, 10 February 16
Ridiculously so. It was a £2.99 budget game originally and to cap it all off its being sold as untested so theres a 50/50 chance of it not working. It all boils down greed.

Is this really important that it was a budget title (a AA Mastergame by the way) back in 25 years ago? IMHO what counts is if it's a rare item or not :)
M'enfin!

Dr Tiger Ninestein

Quote from: dodogildo on 19:33, 10 February 16

Is this really important that it was a budget title (a AA Mastergame by the way) back in 25 years ago? IMHO what counts is if it's a rare item or not :)

I agree, it being a budget title 25 years ago has no bearing on today's price, it's the rarity and demand that affects what it's worth now.

Nich

Is it overpriced though?

I'd say it is. £10 or maybe slightly more would be a fair starting price in my opinion. It may have been a £2.99 budget game when it was originally released (or was it £3.99?), but it is indeed a fairly rare game and quite famous in the CPC community for its high quality graphics and ability to exploit the Plus' extra facilities.

TFM

Look guys: It's an auction site, if someone has not enough money then this person can't make bid. And if something is really overpriced, then it will not be bought. That's it. Weeping won't help - you wanted democracy, now live it.  ;) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

EgoTrip

Quote from: dodogildo on 19:33, 10 February 16

I don't think it being a Mastergame has any real bearing on things. If anything, that would probably have boosted sales and it would be more common. Likewise with it being a budget title. This isn't always the case though. It depends entirely upon the title. Some high rated/priced games are common as much and some rare, and vice versa with low rated/priced games.

If he's letting it go to auction he could put the start price lower. It will sell for what its worth, ie what people are willing to pay for it. If its really worth £20+ then people will bid that much for it. But starting the auction at £19.99 for what is an untested game, that has a chance of not working at all, is not something I would do.

dodogildo

Quote from: EgoTrip on 23:27, 10 February 16
But starting the auction at £19.99 for what is an untested game, that has a chance of not working at all, is not something I would do.

You're very right on this particular detail, yes.
M'enfin!

chinnyhill10

65 quid for a copy of Satellite Warrior with an hour and a half to go:

Amstrad cpc 464/6128 satellite warrior disc/cassette amsoft | eBay

These bidders have more money than sense! Lots of things I'd rather spend that kind of money on!
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

dcdrac

I totally agree it looks like a rubbish game

chinnyhill10

Quote from: dcdrac on 12:34, 13 February 16
I totally agree it looks like a rubbish game

It's insane this morning. The same saddo is bidding 64 quid on a piece of Amsoft invoicing software. On tape! Makes you weep for the state of the world!

Amstrad cpc 464 invostat cassette amsoft | eBay

What you even going to do with that? Put it on a shelf and look at it? Think I could find plenty more ways to spend that kind of money than on some rancid old Amsoft tape title!
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

EgoTrip

Absolutely ridiculous. Don't these idiots know you can download them for free from cpc-power? :picard2: Yeah I know theres the hard copy looking nice on the shelf factor but really, what a waste of money. Even Roland Goes Digging went for a stupid amount, but at least thats a good game.

Gryzor

Well, bidding 65 quid on it is equally ridiculous to saying you can download it. I doubt he'd ever load it, many people (myself included) just buy stuff for the physical form.

Bryce

It was bought by one of our two well known Spanish collectors. At least one of them has an "Amstrad Museum" that has considerable financial backing, which can mess up the prices of anything they don't yet have in their collection.

Bryce.

Audronic

Procrastinators Unite,
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

awergh

I was just looking at that 464 with the lot and while it probably works out at good value by ebay AU standards, but I can't help but think they would be able to sell it individually for a larger collective total than selling it in a bulk lot.

EgoTrip

Quote from: awergh on 09:25, 14 February 16
I was just looking at that 464 with the lot and while it probably works out at good value by ebay AU standards, but I can't help but think they would be able to sell it individually for a larger collective total than selling it in a bulk lot.

Possibly but theres things to factor in like time, effort, ebay and paypal fees. Its easier sometimes to just sell everything in one go than do loads of little listings, especially if you need a quick sale for whatever reason.

dodogildo

Quote from: Audronic on 22:47, 13 February 16
A 464 With the lot (Australia)

Amstrad CPC464 DMP2000 Printer CTM644 Monitor DDI1 SSA1 JY2 CT1 Interface Games

Ray

Why don't you ask the seller to sell you the ddi1 separately if you're still hunting one? I always ask whenever I see something interesting in a lot and generally get my wish granted :)
M'enfin!

Audronic

@dodogildo

Thanks for the thought.
Because he specifically said he would not split the items.
Ray
Procrastinators Unite,