News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Latest on ebay

Started by steve, 13:54, 05 September 11

Previous topic - Next topic

||C|-|E||

Do you want me to buy it guys?  :D (the cheap one!)

Gryzor

I wouldn't bet on it being the original one... probably a photocopy or some bullcrap.

||C|-|E||

I would buy it for 15 pounds or so and take the risk if it was a very rare book. Problem is that buying it from USA means that I have to pay shipping costs... and it is around 27 pounds in total  ???

khaz

||C|-|E||

OK guys, no more waiting!! I bought it for 9 pounds!! Now I will resell it and I will be rich. This will be like Chase HQ 2, because I plan to burn all the remaining copies if I find them.

Cholo

Is it this one?
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Assembly_Language_programming_for_the_Amstrad_CPC_464,664_%26_6128

Never seen it for sale, but then again its been ages since ive been looking.

Judging from the contents it looks like the usual "clone" book on machine code. Always wondered who made the first one that everyone seem to just "copy/translate" from. Aka it always starts with the basics, then programming some math functions & finally slap some premade Rsx into your face to handle moving a char around the screen. Must be 80% of the books that is exactly like that and not a single one seem to have dared digging deeper into the firmware or take on a topic like music, screen, scrooling & border control, tape/disc handling or similar. Oh well, perhaps if the 8bits had been around a bit longer i guess.

khaz

Same as your typical BASIC book then I suppose? I bought a few of those to try and get better at using the CPC, but each and every one of them were as generic as possible, covering broad subjects that could apply to every BASIC language on any computer, without ever talking about machine-specific code, like borders, colours or *gasp* sprites, the very thing I was interested in learning about.

||C|-|E||

I am sure that it is going to be one of those, yup. Actually, buying it is just a preservation effort, as you can guess  :laugh:

Cholo

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 19:39, 10 May 16
I am sure that it is going to be one of those, yup. Actually, buying it is just a preservation effort, as you can guess  :laugh:
Ah yes, i realise my previous post probably sounded a bit overall negative. However that dosnt mean i think its not worth picking up for preservation & collecting purposes  ;)  Probably pretty rare that one.

Gryzor

Don't be sad if it turns out to be a photocopy or something... but I hope it's the real deal :)

||C|-|E||

Let´s see what I get at the end and if it is worth it from any point of view!  :D

||C|-|E||

HOLD IN AWE MORTALS!!

The 248 pounds prodigal son, the holy grail of the Amstrad books, arrived today!!! (and it is not a photocopy)

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

robcfg

Congrats! Now just scan it for the wiki and then profit! :D

CraigsBar

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 14:24, 16 May 16
HOLD IN AWE MORTALS!!

The 248 pounds prodigal son, the holy grail of the Amstrad books, arrived today!!! (and it is not a photocopy)

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]
So how much you selling it for? [emoji6]
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

||C|-|E||

Around 600 pounds or so  ;D :laugh:

I have to check if it is interesting for the wiki, I still did not read it, but actually it does not seem like a bad book. It is full of code and examples...

Gryzor

Ohhhh so nice!!! Now I want one too :D

AMSDOS

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 15:16, 16 May 16

I have to check if it is interesting for the wiki, I still did not read it, but actually it does not seem like a bad book. It is full of code and examples...

Yeah sadlly I was talking to @Gryzor about scanning mine for the Wiki in a PM. Didn't realise anyone would go out and spend£248 on it. :(

If you're interested in scanning it, I can send the pages I've done, up to page 52.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

||C|-|E||

Well, do not worry, I actually spent 9 pounds  :D :D It turns out that I found it in a second hand online library  :laugh:

khaz

The cover is so confusing. Why is there a CPC dying in the desert surrounded by dead trees and a cow skull? Is the digital beam supposed to revive it or is it its digital soul fleeing its lifeless body?

Gryzor

Quote from: khaz on 13:26, 17 May 16
The cover is so confusing. Why is there a CPC dying in the desert surrounded by dead trees and a cow skull? Is the digital beam supposed to revive it or is it its digital soul fleeing its lifeless body?

All valid questions :D

arnoldemu

Look at it another way.

The CPC is surviving, not dying. In the desert it is alive and it has a strong digital beam giving out strong information.
The desert can't destroy it. The dark colour of it's plastic is proud and easy to see  ;D

(The plus would be hidden because it's colour is similar to the colour of sand).
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

arnoldemu

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 15:16, 16 May 16

I was going to say "forget spending £200" and send me the money and I will teach you z80 for that price.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

||C|-|E||

The cover is pure madness and makes the book even better. I actually have to check who perpetrated it and look for the rest of his/her artwork  :laugh: .

AMSDOS

Their audience were outback Australians?  ;D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Audronic

Quote from: AMSDOS on 12:06, 18 May 16

Their audience were outback Australians?  ;D

I am pretty sure i have been there, Just south of Innamincka. ;D

Ray

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.