News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Latest on ebay

Started by steve, 13:54, 05 September 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

That's your buyer?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

mr_lou

That's why Amibay was created.

Gryzor

Should we set up an auction system here then?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 23:13, 23 December 17
Should we set up an auction system here then?

I don't think this would be a bad idea at all. Even facebook groups are starting to turn into a bit of a joke.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Poliander

Quote from: Gryzor on 21:57, 23 December 17
That's your buyer?

Yeah. On the other hand, without those bids from resalers I wouldn't have gotten more than 5 or 6 €...
Schneider CPC 664 • X-MEM • Vortex F1-X Drive • CTM 644 • DMP 2160
Schneider CPC 6128 • Z-MEM • M4 Board • MultiPlay + Amiga Mouse • OSSC

Gryzor

Quote from: Poliander on 09:50, 24 December 17
Yeah. On the other hand, without those bids from resalers I wouldn't have gotten more than 5 or 6 €...

Valid point. So, good for the original seller, bad for the rest of us :)

If people have interest in a proper ads/auction system (probably classifieds, auction would be more difficult I suppose) for the forum, I'll take a look; but that will cost money (I was looking at one mod that cost, IIRC, €80) so I won't be implementing it in the off-chance someone might use it.

tjohnson

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:15, 24 December 17

Valid point. So, good for the original seller, bad for the rest of us :)

If people have interest in a proper ads/auction system (probably classifieds, auction would be more difficult I suppose) for the forum, I'll take a look; but that will cost money (I was looking at one mod that cost, IIRC, €80) so I won't be implementing it in the off-chance someone might use it.
I would have thought standard classified was sufficient.  Competitors to ebay are like barren wastelands.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Gryzor

I tend to agree.

khaz

Quote from: Poliander on 21:46, 23 December 17
So this is how it works these days.

I sold Zynaps as auction for 13,50 €
https://www.ebay.de/itm/282755167969

Few days later 50,00 €
https://www.ebay.de/itm/162808075036

Funny thing is, when you offer a game as auction, most of the bids come from retro resalers.

Someone should offer them 13.50€, see how they react haha

Gryzor

New thread here: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/classifieds-38/scambay-cornet/ . Please use this here thread for 'legitimate' auctions only ;)

Vyper68

There is a new listing on eBay UK for a 464 DDI-1 & FD-1 with manuals and games if anyone is interested @ £150 + p&p. I am not going for it myself just thought it might be worth a look.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amstrad-CPC-464-DDI-Floppy-Drive-Interface-Manuals-Stack-Of-Games/292390099939
Paul Woakes - Genius & Programmer

Thank you for Mercenary Paul

khaz

Can we talk about Heavy on the magick?

I want to talk about Heavy on the magick. This is a game I would qualify as "mildly interesting", as in with a cool concept but barely playable today. It's uncommon but not rare, as copies complete in box come up every so often on ebay. Three of them are actually up for grab, at respectively 200€, 300€ and 125€. People seem to deem it expensive, but it's obviously not rare. Now, there has been this person who tried to put it on auction with a starting bid of £20, then again, and again, gradually lowering the starting bid. No bidder were interested over the past two months*. The game finally managed to get sold, after a heavy bidding war, for £15. For the CIB game that people are asking 300€ for.

Now, will the BIN sellers adjust their prices after seeing how much worth has been attributed to that game? Of course not. The market as deemed this game as an "interesting uncommon oddity" worth about £15, and yet people still list it as BIN at ten times its actual value. And this is what's wrong with ebay. These sellers hold plenty of other games, uncommon ones, all listed at outrageous prices, making other sellers think they have a gem in their hands even though no one buys at that price. The other problem is, occasionally, they do sell. Every once in a while, someone with more money then sense will impulse buy one of their listed item, validating the entire process. Check their sold history. There isn't much there, but it's enough to keep them going.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sop=15%7C15&_from=R40%7CR40&_sacat=0&_nkw=heavy%20on%20the%20magick&LH_PrefLoc=2&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sop=15%7C15&_from=R40%7CR40&_sacat=0&_nkw=heavy%20on%20the%20magick&LH_PrefLoc=2&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

*ebay doesn't show ended auctions and ads older than 3 months, so the thing could have been playing for longer for all I know.

Vyper68

I am a big fan of Gargoyle games i played them on the ZX Spectrum when they were originally released as i didn't have a CPC then. So i have a CPC now and saw that they were released and i thought it would be nice to have some boxed games and i was watching the CIB Disk version of Heavy on the Magick myself it just seemed a lot of money @ £19. I had seen the others listed for £100's and dismissed them as idiots and thought surely no one is that stupid, It would appear someone is to buy a game for that kind of money :doh:

Me? i found a Sealed Box-Set of Cassette Tapes for sale on eBay with all Five Gargoyle games for £4+£3 P&P which makes a lot more sense.

Shaun M. Neary

Probably should be moved to the Scambay eBay thread but...

Fools and their money though. If someone is stupid enough to pay over the odds for a 30+ year old game, then they get what they deserve.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

khaz

I have no connection to that game, only a passing interest since I read about it some time ago. Same as you when I saw the BIN in the hundreds I dismissed them (especially as I instantly recognised the picture background, I knew the sellers were "unreasonable"), but when I saw the auction being missed and missed again for so long, until two people decided that £9.99 was a low enough starting point, but couldn't go over £15, I thought it would make a very interesting case study on BIN value vs real value.

I had no interest in what those two sellers proposed, but just today I went to browse their listings, and was especially interested in their "sold" listings. there are very few items in there, about two dozens over the past three months, but I must assume that it's good enough for them to continue. It must be, considering the markup they charge vs the price they must have paid to acquire them.

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 18:52, 03 January 18
Probably should be moved to the Scambay eBay thread but...

Fools and their money though. If someone is stupid enough to pay over the odds for a 30+ year old game, then they get what they deserve.

It raises the prices for all of us. That's the big problem. I don't care what people do with their money, but it spoils the game for everybody else.

tjohnson

I had a copy of HotM that i recently sold on eBay for 10 quid plus postage.  The box was rough but the disk was fine i have no nostalgia for the game it was always something i wanted to play back in the day but not these days.  Thought 10 was pretty reasonable not sure it would be worth more than that and anyone paying hundreds is really just a mug.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: khaz on 19:16, 03 January 18
It raises the prices for all of us. That's the big problem. I don't care what people do with their money, but it spoils the game for everybody else.

I agree to a point but nobody with any sense will pay that money and these idiots will be stuck with a product they can't shift.

Eventually this "vintage" craze will die off and shit will be back to normal soon.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: tjohnson on 20:43, 03 January 18
I had a copy of HotM that i recently sold on eBay for 10 quid plus postage.  The box was rough but the disk was fine i have no nostalgia for the game it was always something i wanted to play back in the day but not these days.  Thought 10 was pretty reasonable not sure it would be worth more than that and anyone paying hundreds is really just a mug.

This guy gets it...

Gryzor

Guys, you did notice the Scambay thread, right? ;)

Chinnery

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm//253359053057

Yellow, Faded, Beaten up. Poor li'l fella.

Gryzor

Aw the poor guy... hope it ends up in a good home.

By the way:

[ot]Anyone has any idea about eBay's global shipping program? Ordered something from the UK, it left the country and that's where their tracking (UPA........ format) ended. No idea where it's been for more than two weeks now![/ot]

Chinnery

[ot]Anyone has any idea about eBay's global shipping program? Ordered something from the UK, it left the country and that's where their tracking (UPA........ format) ended. No idea where it's been for more than two weeks now![/ot]

[ot]Not sure specifically about Ebay's global shipping, but I know getting stuff INTO the UK from Europe has been far slower than normal the past month. I would have put it down to our Annual Christmas Postal Catastrophe due to high mail volume, but it's still ongoing. Even guaranteed next say services are getting delayed here.[/ot]

Vyper68

Quote from: Chinnery on 13:11, 10 January 18
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm//253359053057

Yellow, Faded, Beaten up. Poor li'l fella.

What on earth has happened to the Nintendo NES in the background ???

Gryzor

@Chinnery : it left the UK alright, with some delay notifications; normal to expect around Xmas time, but it's disappeared for a couple of weeks now, which is way too long...

@Vyper68 : heheh I think it's painted or something :)

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Vyper68 on 13:38, 10 January 18
What on earth has happened to the Nintendo NES in the background ???

I smell a dumpster diver...