News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Latest on ebay

Started by steve, 13:54, 05 September 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Does it need a separate power supply? Can it run off the monitor cable?

MacDeath

No, it just need a few beers and sandwiches as powersupply I think.

So it runs at 5° alcohol  minimum power tension.

Gryzor

Tuna? Salmon? This is getting expensive...

Bryce

As long as it doesn't need "Apples" :D

I'd actually like to get a hold of a 464+ myself. It would be a really great computer to mod. I'd say I could fit a HxC, slimline 3.5 Drive (with ABBA switch between 3.5 and HxC to make both useful for games), an S-Video output, 512K RAM expansion (576K Total), a MegaFlash, ACID inside and an AMX compatible USB Mouse port. It would be a tight squeeze, but if I made a custom PCB with everything on the one PCB and shaped to use all the free space, it could probably be done. The LCD for the HxC might be a problem, but there might be compatible slimline or miniature displays available, would have to check.

Some of the missing ICs (The disc-drive controller/seperator) are pretty hard to get these days, but they do pop up on ebay occasionally.

Bryce.

mr_lou

Quote from: Bryce on 20:07, 25 May 12I'd actually like to get a hold of a 464+ myself. It would be a really great computer to mod. I'd say I could fit a HxC, slimline 3.5 Drive (with ABBA switch between 3.5 and HxC to make both useful for games), an S-Video output, 512K RAM expansion (576K Total), a MegaFlash, ACID inside and an AMX compatible USB Mouse port. It would be a tight squeeze, but if I made a custom PCB with everything on the one PCB and shaped to use all the free space, it could probably be done. The LCD for the HxC might be a problem, but there might be compatible slimline or miniature displays available, would have to check.

That sounds like it would be the ultimate Amstrad CPC of all times!

I WANT ONE!  :)

When will you start buying supplies, including CPC's?  :)

MacDeath

better to only get the upper 464+ casing... and put it on a 6128+ lower casing+Motherboard.

I mean, the good point with this Tape slot is that it is easier to put some custom LCD screen and some buttons for the HXC or even custom upgrades to be switched on/off... like and hardware upgrades managers with its own screen and interface. ;)

so bryce, what is your favourite sandwich finally ?

Bryce

I would leave the tapedeck installed and working! It would be a shame to remove it and that's the whole point of doing it on a 464+. It's the only bit I couldn't add to my 6128+.

I don't intend starting a conversion service, I'd just do the one, but I'd publish pictures and instructions.

Bryce.

Oh, yeah, the sandwich question... As a french person you'll probably find this strange, but my version of a good sandwich is a Croissant filled with ham and gouda.

mr_lou

Quote from: Bryce on 21:22, 25 May 12I don't intend starting a conversion service, I'd just do the one, but I'd publish pictures and instructions.

Well let me know when it's done then so I can buy it from you.  :P

Nah, I understand. I was of course joking about the service thingy.
Still, if you ever do manage to make one for yourself, I wouldn't mind paying good money for you to do one for me too.
In any case, it seemingly won't be happening any day soon, so I'll be chillin' with my CPC464.  :)

The CPC+ machines look awesome. Having one with all those accessories would be insanely awesome. But only the non-plus machines fit on my table when I need the PC keyboard there at the same time.  ;)

Bryce

The Plus is much narrower than the classic 6128, you have much more space on the desk with a plus. That's why it's usually the one I have in use.

Bryce.

MacDeath

QuoteOh, yeah, the sandwich question... As a french person you'll probably find this strange, but my version of a good sandwich is a Croissant filled with ham and gouda.
Not strange...

"Croissant jambon fromage".
Some boulangeries sell them in France, delicious.
(use gruyere instead of gouda though.)

also "croissants aux amandes" is delicious (not a salted sandwich anyway)

Those are also some of my favourite comfort food...

sorry for the out of topic.

Bryce

That's the one, but I'm not a fan of sweet Croissants. I prefer savoury food.

Bryce.

mr_lou

Quote from: Bryce on 21:56, 25 May 12The Plus is much narrower than the classic 6128, you have much more space on the desk with a plus. That's why it's usually the one I have in use.

But it's deeper, meaning there's no room for two keyboards (1 PC keyboard and 1 CPC) vertically placed.
My CPC464 is placed behind/above my PC keyboard, so I use the same screen for both.
Can't do that with a plus machine.

MacDeath

QuoteBut it's deeper, meaning there's no room for two keyboards (1 PC keyboard and 1 CPC) vertically placed.
My CPC464 is placed behind/above my PC keyboard, so I use the same screen for both.
Can't do that with a plus machine.
the flat surface of the 6128PLUS enable to put the extra keyboard on it.
Hence Amstrad's double decker.

But you can't do that with a 464PLUS because of the tape drive on top (said flat surface)

Badstarr

My Apple Pro Keyboard hangs rather nicely over the top of my 464 Plus keyboard thanks to it being extremely light and having a nice long lip underneath thanks to its USB ports that acts like a hook over the top line of keys. There is a very, very slight bit of bounce when I type on it like this but it doesn't cause any harm to the CPC. I use it like this when I need to switch back and fourth between my Mac and CPC. If this sounds like something you would be ok with you could probably buy a cheap copy from ebay.
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

mr_lou

I might bid on that CPC464plus, but I will need additional 64k ram and a diskdrive.
Who'll sell me that?

steve

There are currently 4 listings for the sed 9420c data separator on ebay, this is the cheapest.
1PCS SED9420C CMOS Data Separator for FDD | eBay

5 listings for the FDC.
1 PC. NEC uPD765AC FD Controller D765AC D765 DIP/DIL 40 | eBay

And 10 listings for the memory chips
M5M4464AP-12 | eBay

mr_lou

I need to put a chip into the CPC464plus before I can connect a diskdrive?
Is there a socket for this chip then at least?

And memory is also chips I have to put inside. Sockets for those too?
The 2nd link isn't working here.

But ok, I get that the 3rd link is for memory chips which I need to mount on the motherboard, hopefully in sockets.
(Because if I have to solder anything, I can forget about it right now).

What are the two other chips for again?

steve

Quote from: mr_lou on 13:24, 26 May 12
I need to put a chip into the CPC464plus before I can connect a diskdrive?
Is there a socket for this chip then at least?

Yes, the pcb contains all the wiring for the chips, you just need to install them, using sockets if you want to.

And memory is also chips I have to put inside. Sockets for those too?
The 2nd link isn't working here.

Yes, sorry, link fixed.

But ok, I get that the 3rd link is for memory chips which I need to mount on the motherboard, hopefully in sockets.
(Because if I have to solder anything, I can forget about it right now).

What are the two other chips for again?

To add 64k memory you require two 4464 chips, to add a disk drive , you need a upd 765 and sed 9420c data separator, you also need a few other common components.

Upgrading a 464plus to a 6128 plus is fully covered in two issues of Amstrad Action, issues 90 and 91you can download the issues from this site, and take the pages and the components to a TV/computer repair shop and get them to install the chips for you, maybe.

mr_lou

Quote from: steve on 13:45, 26 May 12Yes, the pcb contains all the wiring for the chips, you just need to install them, using sockets if you want to.

Using sockets if I want to??? That sure sounds like I have to solder those sockets onto the board myself. In other words, there are no sockets installed on the board.

Quote from: steve on 13:45, 26 May 12To add 64k memory you require two 4464 chips, to add a disk drive , you need a upd 765 and sed 9940c data separator, you also need a few other common components.

Indeed that is a complicated procedure.

Quote from: steve on 13:45, 26 May 12Upgrading a 464plus to a 6128 plus is fully covered in three issues of Amstrad Action, issues 89 to 93 I think, not sure, if it is possible to download the issues from this site, you can take the pages and the components to a TV/computer repair shop and get them to install the chips for you, maybe.

Yea, I'd probably have to do that. I do know a mate who might be able to do it for me, although like everone else he's busy with other things. So I dunno.....

Thanks for the links though. Now to do some serious thinking.....

steve

It would certainly be easier to buy a 6128+, if you can find one, !!!RARE!!! :laugh:

steve

I have now downloaded amstrad action issue 90 which deals with adding 64k ram to the 464+, and issue 91 which covers adding the disk controller components to the 464+, issue 92 explains how to add a tape socket to the 6128+ so it can load from tape.

Badstarr

If I was in your shoes, I would definitely buy the 464 Plus, If you get the components you need it's really quite a simple upgrade, especially if you get a few IC sockets, you don't have to run the risk of frying any of the chips. If you take your time with it, it should be relatively painless to do, and the instructions in Amstrad Action are very sensible and well thought out. There is room for an HxC in the case under the keyboard (but only just!) This is the mod I made to my 464 Plus, however, it looks much neater than this now and the screen is integrated into the case  Re: HxC arrived today! But how is side switching handled? I should think about uploading some new photos as the ones on there are the "quick and dirty proof of concept" ones  ??? , and it really hurt my teeth biting that hole though the bottom of the case!  ;)
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

steve

You could save the cost of the 64k ram upgrade if you intend to add an external 512k ram pack as the 2nd bank of internal memory is not used if an external memory expansion is fitted.

mr_lou

Thanks for the advice.
But I really suck at electronics, and I'd rather not risk destroying a perfectly good mint condition CPC464+.
So I would depend on my mate who's able to do such things.

I'd love to have all the stuff Bryce talks about, stuffed into it, but I can also easily settle for 128k ram total and a 3.5" external diskdrive. Still thinking a lot.

Bryce.... I can transfer 292 euro to your Paypal account today. You buy the CPC464+ and have it shipped to you.
Then over any period of time you want, years even, you mod it for me, take all the time you need, and then eventually send it to me some day in the future. No rush whatsoever. At that time you may need more money for your time and parts.
Then I'll make a cool CPC chip tune in your honour called "Master Bryce"  :)

kyjena