News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Latest on ebay

Started by steve, 13:54, 05 September 11

Previous topic - Next topic

MugUK

A few odds and sods (mostly adventure-related) from my childhood days.  There's also some other odds & sods in the list too :)

muguk | eBay
I love poking (and peeking) around files.  I used to write saved-game editors on the Atari ST (and Amiga) using GFA BASIC, so looking forward to having some fun with my 6128 :)

beaker

Hey I think I am getting the hang of this ebay stuff...

I just bought Pang for £20  (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25110342890) when I had the option of buying it a few weeks back from the same seller for £18 (GX4000 PANG AMSTRAD CPC+ | eBay)!!!  :laugh:

He's still got a few left like Enforcer and Pinball Magic but Copter 271 and Dick Tracy have gone already. Apparently he has more he will list next month which sounds a little strange I guess but Bryce bought Fire & Forget off him and gave that cartridge the thumbs up.

If anyone is interested...

Bryce

Mine was definitely the real thing. The label is original and the casing has never been opened.

I guess he is buying them locally and putting them up on ebay.

Bryce.

ralferoo

Quote from: Badstarr on 23:10, 07 July 12
after I declined to buy one at a car boot sale for £1 ... I have the buyers' remorse! Lol!
Yeah, I have that from this weekend. I went to a car boot sale just to pick up an RF lead because the c64 I bought a few weeks back didn't come with one.

Anyway, this RF lead obviously came from an Amiga as there were 2 power supplies, an external floppy and a couple of serial leads. I ignored all that and went for the RF lead. On my final lap before going home, I saw a GVP A530 from the same seller, but in a different area and thought "oh wow, they were cool back in the day" but as I don't have an A500, only a A1200, and this guy had obviously already sold that on its own, I ignored it. When I got home, I googled a bit and found they were still going on Ebay for £200 or so!

Guess I'll have to hope it's still there next week!

ralferoo

Quote from: beaker on 10:08, 09 July 12
He's still got a few left like Enforcer...
I'm having a hard job believing this is real from looking at the photo: GX4000 ENFORCER AMSTRAD CPC+ | eBay
EDIT: Bryce pointed out the real cartridges look like this too!

Bryce

Why? If you compare it to any other pictures of this cartridge, including the one on our very own Wiki: Enforcer (cartridge) - CPCWiki - The Ultimate Amstrad CPC Community &  you'll see that the look and quality are very similar.

Bryce.

beaker

Quote from: Bryce on 10:16, 09 July 12
I guess he is buying them locally and putting them up on ebay.

Yup, he's only able to get 6-8 games per month from his supplier and most of the time it's random. Apparently he's also got a gx4000 console in carbon fibre which I want to see...

Quote from: ralferoo on 13:12, 09 July 12
Yeah, I have that from this weekend. I went to a car boot sale just to pick up an RF lead because the c64 I bought a few weeks back didn't come with one.

Hey mine didn't either - I reckon it's a conspiracy!  :laugh:  Fortunately I had a couple from my Sega machines. If you've got an 8 pin video socket on the back of your c64 the s-video cable from Retro Computer Shack is pretty good giving me a nice sharp image. I tried the 5 pin scart and it looked pants as the c64 doesn't output an RGB signal (or S-video on that cable and I couldn't find a scart cable with the s-video hooked up...)

ralferoo

Quote from: Bryce on 13:27, 09 July 12
Why? If you compare it to any other pictures of this cartridge
Oh wow. OK, yeah. My bad, it looks like the genuine cartridge labels were done on a dot matrix printer and stuck on badly by hand!

Actually, I guess the poor quality of dot matrix (if it is that) should make it easier to spot against a laser printer copy... :O

Ynot.zer0

the allure of those (non-working) 664 keys is just so tempting....

Gryzor

Quote from: Ynot.zer0 on 20:44, 09 July 12
the allure of those (non-working) 664 keys is just so tempting....

Ohh yes, and there's no such thing as too many 664s under one roof...

Damn, I just noticed the price tag at the end of the auction (ripped from old-computers.com):
PRICE     Monochrome - €684  (august 85)
Color - €913  (august 85)

Pricey!!

Ynot.zer0

just to tempt a little bit more - another 664 with lot of extras

(I have 3 already, so cannot justify getting another one)

Gryzor

Looks beautiful, but... "Also I have not tried all the keys, but those I did are working correctly.". Hmmmm...

ralferoo

So, this has to be the most expensive retro thing on ebay at the moment: Extremely Rare condition Acorn Atom Computer - Museum Quality and working | eBay

CanonMan

Quote from: ralferoo on 20:34, 17 July 12
So, this has to be the most expensive retro thing on ebay at the moment: Extremely Rare condition Acorn Atom Computer - Museum Quality and working | eBay

Nobody in their right mind will give £2k for an Atom, not even the Acorn experts over at the Stairway To Hell forum.

Ynot.zer0

Quote from: CanonMan on 20:37, 17 July 12

Nobody in their right mind will give £2k for an Atom, not even the Acorn experts over at the Stairway To Hell forum.

just look at the photo / image p0rn.... the guy is just so in love with that device he put it up at a price that he just knows won't sell.. he just wants to show it off... parade it around a bit, flirt it to others who do not have it... and then keep it locked up in a cupboard where only he can use it.  is his name Cletus? does he live in the deep south of the USA?  does he have pit in his living room?.....  hmmm... well he doesn't own a CPC, therefore he must be weird    ;D

[EDIT: hahahahahahaaaaa - the last photo proves my point: "ATOM 8+2 ASS" - he loves that machine!!!! and will never sell it!]

Bryce

The Atom was a boring and rather plain looking computer. He can keep it.

He belongs to the people who write ***RARE***!! in their items title, when there are 20 more of the same on offer at the same time.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Well, to be fair, "rare" refers to its condition, not the machine.

Most of the pics don't load for me, but so what, it's a NOS boring piece of plastic.

steve

How did this happen?

starting price 99p, only three bids, sold for £54.00

usually bids go up in 20p increments, not this time.

Hitch-hiker's Guide to Artificial Intelligence: Amstrad by C. Naylor, Richard...

Ynot.zer0

Quote from: steve on 19:03, 18 July 12
How did this happen?

starting price 99p, only three bids, sold for £54.00

usually bids go up in 20p increments, not this time.

Hitch-hiker's Guide to Artificial Intelligence: Amstrad by C. Naylor, Richard...

Tell me about it.  I had the 1st bid, thinking no-one is going to bid on this...surely.... and then it just sky rocketed at the end and was way to rich for me.  £54 is about £40 more than it should have gone for.  I know I've not seen this book before, hence I was bidding on it.... but £54 is just silly.

Bryce

Bids go up in increments above the next lowest bidder. So if I bid €100 as my first bid I am the highest bidder with €1 (and get it for that if no one else bids), but if you then bid €150 you get it for €101 and there was only two bids involved. Assuming the increments are €1.

Bryce.

steve

@Bryce, yes, you are right of course, I was just shocked at the price and surprised there were only 2 automatic bids, it seemed as if the system had taken the bidders maximum bids and used them as their first and only bids.
It did not even have the word "RARE" in the title  ;D

@Ynot.zer0, I was interested in the book as well, but as soon as I saw it at £17ish, I decided not to bid on it :D .

Ynot.zer0

Quote from: steve on 22:07, 18 July 12
It did not even have the word "RARE" in the title  ;D
@Ynot.zer0, I was interested in the book as well, but as soon as I saw it at £17ish, I decided not to bid on it :D .

yep, that was me, absolute maximum of £17.77... I guess the 2nd person bid £53 which is a heck of a jump and the 3rd person bid more than that.  I have never worked out how the whole eBay thing works.  I just bid the maximum I'm willing to pay, if it goes beyond then I walk away.  I learnt that lesson when I once started bidding against jesus6128 (what happened to him?), he would bid insane prices.  anyway, I hope the person who won, scans the book and posts it to the wiki to share with the community, as I've never seen the content of the book and would be interested to see what it contained...

ralferoo

Quote from: Ynot.zer0 on 22:54, 18 July 12
yep, that was me, absolute maximum of £17.77... I guess the 2nd person bid £53 which is a heck of a jump and the 3rd person bid more than that.
Exactly. IMHO your only mistake was not bidding in the last couple of minutes instead of days in advance. That said, in this case, you'd never have won it...

The second guy who bid £53 did that with only your 99p initial bet to go on. He clearly wanted it badly. And the guy who outbid him, did so thinking the bid was only £18.27 (bid increment of 50p over your bid), and so obviously also believed it was worth well over £50 in order to place such a high bid.

ralferoo

That said, I can't imagine it's substantially different to the Applesoft version or the IBM PC version, both available cheaply. There's also a BBC version at 184 pages instead of 260, so possibly a different edition.

Gryzor

d
Quote from: Ynot.zer0 on 22:54, 18 July 12

I have never worked out how the whole eBay thing works.

Heh, actually I learned that in a book about marketing and behavioral analysis. Auction methodologies are a pretty cool subject if you read about it. Ebay uses what is called the Vickrey auction system. From wikipedia:

QuoteA Vickrey auction is a type of sealed-bid auction, where bidders submit written bids without knowing the bid of the other people in the auction, and in which the highest bidder wins, but the price paid is the second-highest bid. The auction was first described academically by Columbia University professor William Vickrey in 1961[1] though it had been used by stamp collectors since 1893[2]. This type of auction is strategically similar to an English auction, and gives bidders an incentive to bid their true value.

It's a pretty cool system if you get to understand it, but even if you don't it still works!