News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Latest on ebay

Started by steve, 13:54, 05 September 11

Previous topic - Next topic

TFM

Maybe they just wanted to sell a complete system: Like a Computer with Monitor and Storage Medium.

Exactly the opposite of the C64, which has no value. Since you have to by a monitor or tv and you have to buy a tape or disc. Without all that additonal stuff it can't be used. Ok some freaks had a c64 and did not switch it off for weeks - until they got a tape to save threir progs.  :laugh: :P
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Sykobee (Briggsy)

I'm sure that Amstrad wanted to sell a complete system rather than a component that had to share resources. Also, IIRC Amstrad had sourced a lot of cheap displays. This matched well to their policy of selling integrated HiFis rather than components.

I guess it made sense to incorporate the tape deck into the main unit, it probably cut costs and improved reliability.

This made the CPC far more family friendly than alternatives that also required you to have a TV and suitable cassette deck, and probably led to a reduction in household arguments about the TV being hogged.

Gryzor

Briggsy beat me to it. Indeed, they could have heard feedback about problems with tape recorders, but it's not like it was the first time they went for a similar design. It was a matter of philosophy, rather than a reaction to specific market information. Also, this is what is mentioned in all the books about Amstrad (which is: the three Sugar biographies).

ralferoo

Quote from: Bryce on 15:56, 30 July 12
I assume that they got some sort of feedback that the tape connections were causing the most issues / customer inquiries on other machines. I can't think of any other reason to do it.
Because it's exactly the same strategy they made their name with on hi-fi gear. Instead of separates, Amstrad pioneered the all-in-one hi-fi system and were universally praised for the value-for-money they brought and ease of setup.

Bryce

I never read any of those Biographies, I only read Hardware books :D

My first Hi-Fi was an Amstrad. I still have it stored in my parents attic :)

Bryce.

Gryzor

Quote from: ralferoo on 11:22, 31 July 12
Because it's exactly the same strategy they made their name with on hi-fi gear. Instead of separates, Amstrad pioneered the all-in-one hi-fi system and were universally praised for the value-for-money they brought and ease of setup.

Plus they put lots of knobs and switches at the front so you could pretend it was actually a HiFi.

@Bryce: aren't people hardware?

ralferoo

People are "wetware".

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:35, 31 July 12
Hihi! So funny. Well, I know, you do believe in Marx and Darwin too. :P :laugh:

Quote from: ralferoo on 17:07, 31 July 12
People are "wetware".
Yes, 63% H2O. ;D
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:35, 31 July 12

Technically we're just the case :D Our nervous sytem is the real circuitry.

I remember most of the Amstrad HiFis had graphic equalizer graphics drawn onto the front,
but no real equalizer or LEDs behind it. Mine was the "luxury" version. It had an 8 channel
equalizer drawn on the front, and a three channel equalizer spaced generously across it.
The CD Player display was two 7 Segment displays.

Bryce.

Ynot.zer0

He's kidding right?  £250 for a 464+

I suppose the special edition Amsterdam 464 goes for a lot more nowdays   ;D

Bryce

Amsterdam... Maybe it's full of weed?

Bryce.

endangermice

How about this one then: Amstrad 6128 Plus | eBay he's at it again! Broken keyboard, faulty disc drive - apparently it's a great bargain and works fine apart from the somewhat aforementioned serious problems. No pictures other than the terrible one on the page and no indication that it even works. Sold as seen, no returns - all yours for the fantastic price of £180 (plus £10 postage). If he sells that I'll eat my hat!
For all the latest Starquake remake news check out my website - www.endangermice.co.uk

TFM

Have a good meal!  8)
TFM of FutureSoft

Bryce

I'm tempted to buy it, just to see you eat a hat :D Youtube or it didn't happen :)

Bryce.

endangermice

What I didn't say of course is what sort of hat it would be. I'm pretty sure Starmix or one of those other kids sweets selection do a jelly shaped hat which of course I'd be delighted to eat if needs be ;).
For all the latest Starquake remake news check out my website - www.endangermice.co.uk

Bryce

While you are busy eating that hat, I spotted this on ebay during the week:

If any one is looking for a suitable transformer to supply a CPC or most other 8-Bit computers (other than a C64 which needs 9VAC), this might be a good choice. It can supply a whopping 8A on the 5V rail and 3A on the 12V rail and even has a -12V (500mA) output should you need it. It looks quite compact and for €15 is quite a bargain.
I've just ordered one to power something else (a Neo Geo), so I'll let you know how it is when it arrives.

ASTEC NETZTEIL DPT52 AC/DC Triple-OUT 5V 12V -12V (1x) | eBay

Bryce.

TotO

Yes, it's the clever way to make an alternative powersupply for CPC 664/6128 and Amiga too !!! (-12V)

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

CanonMan

Quote from: endangermice on 19:23, 01 August 12
How about this one then: Amstrad 6128 Plus | eBay he's at it again! Broken keyboard, faulty disc drive - apparently it's a great bargain and works fine apart from the somewhat aforementioned serious problems. No pictures other than the terrible one on the page and no indication that it even works. Sold as seen, no returns - all yours for the fantastic price of £180 (plus £10 postage). If he sells that I'll eat my hat!

Well, I offered him £20 and he turned it down. I said that, in it's current poor condition, that's all it's worth to me  :laugh:

endangermice

Definitely - £20 tops, there's no proof it even works and by his own terms if it turns out to be a dud you're stuck with it!

I recently bought a 6128plus from France for £50 and that was fully working order with nowhere near the amount of yellowing of that one! OK so it has a French keyboard but that's no biggie, you can convert it to UK with a new cartridge and suitable replacement keyboard which can be forged from an old CPC6128 if you're feeling hacky!

I pushed the boat out for fun and offered him £25 which I think is more than generous considering the condition. He will of course reject it but maybe if others here make similar offers he may work out its true value!

TFM

Quote from: endangermice on 22:23, 01 August 12
What I didn't say of course is what sort of hat it would be. I'm pretty sure Starmix or one of those other kids sweets selection do a jelly shaped hat which of course I'd be delighted to eat if needs be ;) .

You can eat the jellyfish hat ... but only the punk version with the nails :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft

endangermice

Awwww that's a bit unfair - unless of course the nails can be made from sherbet? I cheekily offered him £25 for it. He of course rejected this. Apparently he sold a similar machine recently for £135. I remember it, there was no mention of it being broken in any way. It seems somewhat odd that a very broken one is somehow worth £45 more than a working one....

Hat eating aside it will be interesting to see what happens. In my mind he has broken every retro sales computer rule out there - one crap picture giving no indication it even works, no returns - so even if it's completely totalled he doesn't want to know, using that "rare" word then attaching an incredible price tag and claiming it's a bargain! He clearly has no passion for the machines and just wants to extract as much money as possible! That is not a good person to buy from.

I've sold many machines in the past, I'm always honest in my descriptions and make sure that the machines always work properly, are presented in the best condition possible and most importantly taking everything into account have an appropriate price tag attached!

Gryzor

eBay should develop image scanning technologies. In cases such as this, when you bid a pop-up should scream in your face: YOU SURE YOU WANT THAT PIECE OF CRAP? THE SELLER SOLD ONE LIKE THIS, IN BETTER, WORKING CONDITION JUST A WHILE AGO, WHY DON'T YOU CHECK OUT SOME OF OUR OTHER AUCTIONS, HMMMM?

endangermice

Hehe that would soon sort out some of these unscrupulous sellers! Unfortunately stupid people are everywhere, everyday on UK TV there is some story about how someone got ripped off. At first I feel sorry for the person, but often as the story emerges you realised that they have been more than stupid and it's at that point that my sympathy wanes....

I think what annoys me the most really is the lack of care and attention that sellers trying to make a quick buck pay to their eBay listings. In a way it's disrespectful to the machine they are trying to sell and you feel annoyed that people that feckless own them to sell in the first place. Mis-spelled, inaccurate descriptions, terrible photos and an arrogant assumption of value are all things that feck me off from the outset!

Still the good old phrase "let the buyer beware" is always pertinent and I think particularly so in cases like these.

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:31, 03 August 12
eBay should develop image scanning technologies. In cases such as this, when you bid a pop-up should scream in your face: YOU SURE YOU WANT THAT PIECE OF CRAP? THE SELLER SOLD ONE LIKE THIS, IN BETTER, WORKING CONDITION JUST A WHILE AGO, WHY DON'T YOU CHECK OUT SOME OF OUR OTHER AUCTIONS, HMMMM?

At the moment, ebay.de lists 104 articles for Amstrad/Schneider. If they introduced that scanner, the article count would drop to about 7 Articles :D

Btw: The transformer I mentioned above ebay Item No: 310405195106 arrived on Saturday. It's well made, robust, relatively small and perfect for most 8-Bit computers. With 8A 5V, 3A 12V and 0.5A -12V it will power almost any 8-bit in your collection (except Commodores and Acorn Electrons)

Bryce.

Gryzor

Quote from: Bryce on 10:01, 06 August 12
With 8A 5V, 3A 12V and 0.5A -12V it will power almost any 8-bit in your collection (except Commodores and Acorn Electrons)

Bryce.

Really? Does the c64 need more than 8A to warm your bread?