News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Latest on ebay

Started by steve, 13:54, 05 September 11

Previous topic - Next topic

ralferoo

Quote from: ralferoo on 14:59, 17 January 13
... collection only. It's obviously not common, but it does happen if you make bids on things that people don't spot (or don't want to drive to if it's collection only).
A prime example of a good collection-only bargain here: Amstrad 464 Colour With Monitor | eBay

db6128

Whoa!

Yes, collection-only deals can be insanely good, but infuriatingly so for those of us who cannot drive! I've recently been buying a lot of musical equipment including two keyboards and was able to arrange postage, and in one case I travelled about 60 miles on train and bus to collect 18.5 kg worth of stuff and take it back by hand... but this doesn't work for everything, and in some cases, great things are missed out.

Monitors tend almost always to be collection-only; if not, I'd probably try to pick up a CTM644, although it would be largely redundant now that I have the SCART cable (which doesn't work on all TVs due to the encoding but would presumably be fine on my invincible Sony Wega Trinitron).

Edit: Speaking of which, I then found a 464 that comes with a 644 rather than a 640: Amstrad 464 computer v1 with colour monitor. | eBay Something to consider for those searching for a 6128-compatible monitor, then: they can be hiding behind 464s! ;)
Quote from: Devilmarkus on 13:04, 27 February 12
Quote from: ukmarkh on 11:38, 27 February 12[The owner of one of the few existing cartridges of Chase HQ 2] mentioned to me that unless someone could find a way to guarantee the code wouldn't be duplicated to anyone else, he wouldn't be interested.
Did he also say things like "My treasureeeeee" and is he a little grey guy?

Joss

Quote from: db6128 on 22:06, 20 January 13
Whoa!

Yes, collection-only deals can be insanely good ......

And a good deal for people who buy and collect them only to sell it right afterwards in little parts with postage ....

db6128

I'm split about whether or not that's 'immoral', really... If the seller isn't being massively exploited and the seller can be bothered listing separately, it's not that bad.

I mean, that musical equipment I bought yesterday cost £40 for a tonne of things, yet the guy seemed to have an idea of what he's talking about, so I didn't question the price! ;) And I have already sold one of the items for £45, keeping the one I really wanted and still having another couple that will probably sell later. So, I effectively got paid £5 to get a piece of equipment that I wanted! Is this type of re-selling really bad? As I said, not always, I don't think, as long as the seller is not being exploited maliciously. I don't need or want the other bits that came as part of the deal, so why not sell them, for as much as I can get?

We have to assume that people are happy to take the price they have listed and that the goods can be used in whichever way afterwards (barring blasphemous usage or destruction :D); we assume that the seller, obviously having the internet, had the opportunity to check prices and suchlike if they wanted to.

Sometimes, I will advise a seller that a price is far too low. However, yes, I hold my hands up and admit that the likelihood of this is significantly lower if I'm wanting to buy it myself...  :blank:
Quote from: ukmarkh on 11:38, 27 February 12[The owner of one of the few existing cartridges of Chase HQ 2] mentioned to me that unless someone could find a way to guarantee the code wouldn't be duplicated to anyone else, he wouldn't be interested.

Joss

Sure, you are right. You forget only that to pick the goods up, to sell them again and make the package and the postage take time and time is money ;-)  I am confidence that today all the sellers who sell only to collect receive, if the good is ok, a lot of emails from possible buyers with the hint they should post to reach more people and to get more money. If they don't do it is their own choice ^-^ .... I am only angry (brrr .... sniff ... sniff .... ) when I see good Amstrads in UK ebay only to collect and I cannot reach them ....

db6128

Quote from: Joss on 01:09, 21 January 13You forget only that to pick the goods up, to sell them again and make the package and the postage take time and time is money ;-)
Definitely, yes. I did hint that it takes work for the re-seller, but I didn't explain it as well as you! As for me, I don't even like having to list 2 or 3 things, so I don't think I could work through a bag of tapes and list them one by one! Or I would have done that with my tapes already. Not to mention all the fees...

QuoteI am confidence that today all the sellers who sell only to collect receive, if the good is ok, a lot of emails from possible buyers with the hint they should post to reach more people and to get more money.
Sure, and I'm quite often one of those possible buyers who's asking for postage.  :laugh:

QuoteI am only angry (brrr .... sniff ... sniff .... ) when I see good Amstrads in UK ebay only to collect and I cannot reach them ....
Heh, me too. I guess we just have to keep bothering the sellers with our requests to post! ;)

Bryce

I don't mind when people buy a large collection and sell the items separately, even if they make a profit on it. It allows poeple to get one particular game they want without having to buy €150 of other stuff just to get it.

What I do object to are the idiots who disassemble perfectly good and working machines to make a profit. Check out how many "Working C64 PCBs - without SID / video timing chip" you'll find on ebay, where the same seller will then sell you the SID for €30+. These people obviously are just trying to rip people off.

Bryce.

TFM

If custormers would be smart enought, they wouldn't buy from them. But since humans are selfish... What do you expect from that species? (Me? Nothing good).
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

What gets me is that people actually buy them! I've tracked a few in ebay. SIDs selling for up to €30 + €6,90 postage! and on the same day a complete C64 (fully working - including SID) going for €12 + €3,90 postage?

Why?

Bryce.

TFM

Because some individuals are really stupid, careless or too rich?!?
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

ralferoo

I'm hoping it's that most people have enough respect for classic computers that they won't destroy a fully working computer just for one chip. I suspect my optimism in this area is misguided though...

TFM

I hope you'll be right one day. Today I hope that at least a few good people are out there.
TFM of FutureSoft

steve

The C64 is the most numerous classic computer, 28 million made?, they can afford to lose a few.

Bryce

So that one day the ebay C64 sellers can put "Rare" in the description and actually be right for the first time? :D

Bryce.

beaker

Quote from: steve on 21:45, 22 January 13
The C64 is the most numerous classic computer, 28 million made?, they can afford to lose a few.

28 million.... and I still end up with the painted turd with a dodgy sticker on it...  :laugh:

Mine's currently being used as a doorstop which is why there's a little extra wear on the front bottom left  :P

[attach=2]

Bryce

I hope there's no damage to the door!

Bryce.

buzby

so my biggest pain in the arse on ebay is when they dont bother to leave you feedback, i had 3 people collect items from my house and i left them feedback whilst they were still here and yes youve guess it a month has gone by and still no feedback.

the other is when they dont bother to answer your emails, i ave sent 5 emails to somebody ref: my fishing chair and no answer.

the other is when you do get a reply of them and they then ask you why you are asking them for a despatch time when they have already posted it..................... well hello ebay sellers if you mark the posted box then you wont get a email

rant over ;D

time to send some more emails to find out where my goods are

also i have just found out via my post lady that they are 5 days behind with delivery of parcels and letters because they couldnt be let out due to the snow.

we get abit of snow in the uk and all of the country comes to a stand still BLOODY HELL UK GET A GRIP ON THINGS :o

time to emigrate i think

now the rant is over lol ;D

archcosmo

pew pew - snipers can take aim for this boxed Multiface 2  ;D

Multiface Two Romantic Robot Amstrad CPC Complet | eBay

Gryzor

ralferoo

Been quiet in here for a while. So, I present the bargain of the century at 29.99: THEY SOLD A MILLION FOR AMSTRAD CPC 464 / 664 / 6128 DISK DISC GAME | eBay

TFM

30 Pounds  :laugh:  More than the new price  :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft

Gryzor

Apparently it's got three games: "BEACH HEAD" , "SABRE WULF" and the GTW called "THANKS FOR LOOKING", hence its hefty price.

ralferoo

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:16, 01 February 13
Apparently it's got three games: "BEACH HEAD" , "SABRE WULF" and the GTW called "THANKS FOR LOOKING", hence its hefty price.
Actually, thinking about it, the TSAM version of JSW was a re-working that had the same levels as the original spectrum version, not the extended version that had previously been on sale for the Amstrad. No idea why it was downgraded as presumably they had no intentions of continuing to sell the original version.

Ciana

This sold early in Janurary.

What else can be said, other than LOL?

Buyer seems genuine, they left a feedback!

VINTAGE AMSTRAD CPC 464 COMPUTER WITH CTM 640 MONITOR (VGC) | eBay

db6128

It does seem to be in pretty great condition (rather insufficient number of photos notwithstanding) and comes with a rare colour monitor (albeit not a 644, but if anything, the 640s might be more rare), numerous electronic upgrades, software, documentation, and a joystick. I don't see much of a problem with the price, really, certainly not hugely comedic. Plus, it's one of the few listings of CPCs (never mind monitors) for which postage is offered, which also helps.

Sure, they go cheaper, but if someone had the money and was willing to pay for this, I don't think they're particularly foolish. I've seen worse, anyway!