News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Latest on ebay

Started by steve, 13:54, 05 September 11

Previous topic - Next topic

ralferoo

Actually, there's a new move from ebay to try to change this behaviour: eBay.co.uk – Global Shipping Programme

The premise is that you sell your items "UK only", ship it to a ebay address in the UK, they'll receive it and send it on to the recipient and sort out the cost of the extra postage on your behalf.

Having said that, I personally intend to opt out of it, even though they automatically opt everyone in. The main reason for that is that the onus on returns is still for the seller to pay for the entire cost of postage and whilst I've never had an item returned from the UK, there's no upside for me for shipping internationally even with this service and there's still more to go wrong and increased costs for me if it does...

Bryce

Quote from: ralferoo on 13:43, 25 November 14
Actually, there's a new move from ebay to try to change this behaviour: eBay.co.uk – Global Shipping Programme

The premise is that you sell your items "UK only", ship it to a ebay address in the UK, they'll receive it and send it on to the recipient and sort out the cost of the extra postage on your behalf.

Having said that, I personally intend to opt out of it, even though they automatically opt everyone in. The main reason for that is that the onus on returns is still for the seller to pay for the entire cost of postage and whilst I've never had an item returned from the UK, there's no upside for me for shipping internationally even with this service and there's still more to go wrong and increased costs for me if it does...

The two Spanish users who pay €150+ for DIY ROMboard PCB with 1 ROM installed (or any other random piece of CPC hardware) isn't incentive enough? :D

Bryce.

steve

The(my) perception of "buyer fraud" on ebay makes me reluctant to sell anything on ebay, to anyone, anywhere. >:(
Except maybe BIN, cash on collection.

Narf

I was perusing ebay.fr a few days ago. Nearly everything I was interested in was postage to France only. I think it all comes down to the seller, or maybe people trying to make their prices look cheaper by only giving domestic rates.

If the Global shipping is rolled out worldwide, there's still a few items on eBay.fr I wouldn't mind getting my hands on.......

ralferoo

Quote from: Bryce on 14:05, 25 November 14
The two Spanish users who pay €150+ for DIY ROMboard PCB with 1 ROM installed (or any other random piece of CPC hardware) isn't incentive enough? :D
Well, I don't have one of those to sell. If I was selling CPC related things, I'd probably advertise it here and then on amibay before considering ebay anyway.

The only things I ever sold on ebay were console and PC games that I got free copies of from work but had no interest in myself. As they'd typically sell within a day to a UK buyer, there's no incentive to open myself up to the extra risks of international selling. At the very least, I always do recorded delivery for free for MY protection...

Poliander

Mmmh, there is an original Schneider CPC Station up for auction. I have one for myself, those are pretty rare. Hope it finds a good home.
Schneider CPC 664 • X-MEM • Vortex F1-X Drive • CTM 644 • DMP 2160
Schneider CPC 6128 • Z-MEM • M4 Board • MultiPlay + Amiga Mouse • OSSC

TFM

I call this setup... Killer of the plugs.  :P
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Poliander

Quote from: TFM on 18:07, 03 December 14
I call this setup... Killer of the plugs.  :P

Hehe, yes... it even has an integrated switchable powerstrip. Here are two pics from my setup. Have this station since I was 8 or 9 yrs old :)

CraigsBar

Amstrad in the UK gave away similar desks at one point . Made of the shittiest chipboard and grey paint.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Poliander

Quote from: CraigsBar on 18:28, 03 December 14
Amstrad in the UK gave away similar desks at one point . Made of the shittiest chipboard and grey paint.

Were they identical to those from Schneider?

CraigsBar

Dunno, I never had one. Just saw them in Dixon's and in AA adverts

dcdrac

I remember seeing those desks in the adverts they did not look that good

Poliander

Quote from: dcdrac on 20:41, 03 December 14
I remember seeing those desks in the adverts they did not look that good

They were not the same. The Schneider types are much more solid.

Crazy_Borg

My brother had one of these desks with his Schneider CPC6128.
The wristbar had a different color, and it did not have the right platform (for the disk drive).
And the lower platform is a real shin killer. Ouch!

Cheapest compressed wood I have ever seen.
I don't believe it will survive the seller's dismantle attempt.

Don't know how bad the amstrad desks were, Schneider's desks weren't good either.
words are cheap...words come and go

seanb

Quote from: Bryce on 09:43, 25 November 14
Yes, but why do they do that!!?? In ebay.de, ebay.fr and ebay.nl most things will be listed as "postage worldwide", but in the UK they seem to think the world ends at their coast.

Bryce.

Because when posting to Europe far too often we get some dodgy person trying to pull a fast one or when the item is sent out it is returned by their customs especially with electronics so why bother with the hassle.
We don't think the world ends at our coast but people beyond it make life too difficult to bother with the headache.
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

TFM

Don't blame the rest of the world for your violent Royal Mail, there's nothing Royal about it, rather Hooligan like. Sorry, but I got so much destructed stuff from the UK, that's just crazy - and it doesn't happen with a single other country!  :(
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

seanb

So we have dodgy buyers outside the UK but with careful postal services and decent sellers in the uk but with a postal service that likes to practice playing rugby with the mail  ;D ;D

I am joking before anyone from outside the UK jumps on me.
Some of the parcels I've received from mainland Europe have ended up in a right state  :D
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

Macc

Bryce

Possible bargain 6128 for any of our German members?

Schneider CPC 6128 mit Monitor | eBay

Bryce.

Poliander

Quote from: Bryce on 13:40, 05 December 14
Possible bargain 6128 for any of our German members?

Schneider CPC 6128 mit Monitor | eBay

Bryce.

50 € is exactly what a Schneider CPC 6128 is currently worth in Germany. See item #281492037080 for example.

Bryce

Quote from: Poliander on 14:25, 05 December 14
50 € is exactly what a Schneider CPC 6128 is currently worth in Germany. See item #281492037080 for example.

Yes, but I've seen several going for €100 or more. And this one had a monitor included too.

Bryce.

Poliander

Quote from: Bryce on 14:35, 05 December 14
Yes, but I've seen several going for €100 or more. And this one had a monitor included too.

Bryce.

Yes, indeed. But greenies don't sell well, 15 € maybe. More a kind of toxic waste :D ...and if one goes for more than ~65,00 € then there are some interesting accessories included, or original packaged or something. I also suspect that prices go much higher as soon someone (else) spots an EME-155/-156 floppy (too). Also enabling international shipping is recommended.

I still wonder why #131331232424 went THAT high. Perhaps someone has an idea...

CraigsBar

Quote from: Poliander on 14:48, 05 December 14
Yes, indeed. But greenies don't sell well, 15 € maybe. More a kind of toxic waste :D ...and if one goes for more than ~65,00 € then there are some interesting accessories included, or original packaged or something. I also suspect that prices go much higher as soon someone (else) spots an EME-155/-156 floppy (too). Also enabling international shipping is recommended.

I still wonder why #131331232424 went THAT high. Perhaps someone has an idea...
Not sure why a wide mouth floppy drive would push up the price. Is optical write tab detection as opposed to a pin that big a deal?

Poliander

Quote from: CraigsBar on 17:51, 05 December 14
Not sure why a wide mouth floppy drive would push up the price. Is optical write tab detection as opposed to a pin that big a deal?

Well I changed my 664's internal drive from a EME-150A into a 155 yesterday. It runs much smoother and so my space bar has finally stopped rattling (Yay!!!! I HATED that so much) when the drive is active. I think the motor noise is a little bit louder than the 150As (I'm not quite sure about that), but the head moving mechanism on the other hand is MUCH less noisy. IMHO the insert/eject mechanism "feels" better than that from the 150As. So if I have to choose, the 155/156 types always win.

Bryce

Quote from: Poliander on 18:05, 05 December 14
Well I changed my 664's internal drive from a EME-150A into a 155 yesterday. It runs much smoother and so my space bar has finally stopped rattling (Yay!!!! I HATED that so much) when the drive is active. I think the motor noise is a little bit louder than the 150As (I'm not quite sure about that), but the head moving mechanism on the other hand is MUCH less noisy. IMHO the insert/eject mechanism "feels" better than that from the 150As. So if I have to choose, the 155/156 types always win.

Sounds like the 150A just needs a decent service. Grease the rods (Schienen) and head spindle (Gewindestange) and it shouldn't "rattle your space bar". :D (Cool description)

Bryce.