News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Scambay corner!

Started by tjohnson, 21:37, 26 December 17

Previous topic - Next topic

tjohnson

More silly expensive Amstrad stuff, I'm sure a floppy drive and interface is useful for those with a CPC464 but not £275 useful delivered.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMSTRAD-DDI-1-INTERFACE-MANUAL-fully-working/263340235236?hash=item3d504d19e4:g:0QAAAOSwridZ7Lz4

Poliander

Quote from: tjohnson on 21:37, 26 December 17
More silly expensive Amstrad stuff, I'm sure a floppy drive and interface is useful for those with a CPC464 but not £275 useful delivered.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMSTRAD-DDI-1-INTERFACE-MANUAL-fully-working/263340235236?hash=item3d504d19e4:g:0QAAAOSwridZ7Lz4

Also take a look at his other auctions for a good laugh.
Schneider CPC 664 • X-MEM • Vortex F1-X Drive • CTM 644 • DMP 2160
Schneider CPC 6128 • Z-MEM • M4 Board • MultiPlay + Amiga Mouse • OSSC

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Poliander on 22:16, 26 December 17
Also take a look at his other auctions for a good laugh.

Would you like a CPC472 with most of it's paintwork missing for nearly £400? Bargain!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Vyper68

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 02:15, 27 December 17
Would you like a CPC472 with most of it's paintwork missing for nearly £400? Bargain!

When you talk about it's paintwork missing do you mean the cassette unit? - i am new to CPC's in general having owned a Spectrum in the 80's so i don't know what Pro-users look for when buying off the likes of eBay which may explain why i only paid £25 for mine but had to fight a bit harder for my 6128 which was ironic as the 464 turned out working from the get go but the 6128 took some persuading.
Paul Woakes - Genius & Programmer

Thank you for Mercenary Paul

tjohnson

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 02:15, 27 December 17
Hmmm let me think about that for a moment..... No!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

tjohnson

Quote from: Vyper68 on 09:59, 27 December 17
When you talk about it's paintwork missing do you mean the cassette unit? - i am new to CPC's in general having owned a Spectrum in the 80's so i don't know what Pro-users look for when buying off the likes of eBay which may explain why i only paid £25 for mine but had to fight a bit harder for my 6128 which was ironic as the 464 turned out working from the get go but the 6128 took some persuading.
What is a pro user? Do you mean some sort of collector?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Vyper68 on 09:59, 27 December 17

My response was sarcastic. I'd easily pay £25 for the listing that I was refering to.

For £400, the machine better be in pristine condition and come with a cure for cancer!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Vyper68

Quote from: tjohnson on 10:01, 27 December 17
What is a pro user? Do you mean some sort of collector?

I guess i meant someone who has used CPC's since they were released and who knows what to look for in tearms of picking up a decent CPC

Which i do not class myself as i have just started getting to know the machine.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Vyper68 on 14:39, 27 December 17
I guess i meant someone who has used CPC's since they were released and who knows what to look for in tearms of picking up a decent CPC

Which i do not class myself as i have just started getting to know the machine.

Well basically in recent years there's been a ridiculous spike increase in old machines, most of them really not worth the asking price. I see people selling tatty old boxes to "add value to your machine", and that's beyond wrong and it's making the retro community fucking miserable lately. Then you've "untested", and I use this term very loosely as it's usually shit found in an attic or a skip and most likely faulty, and know full well it doesn't work but will sell anyway.

There's a certain amount I'll pay for an Amstrad or any other machine with a few games bundled in cos I know I'll probably have to fork out extra for additional repair and in some cases shipping. A CPC472 as rare as it is, really isn't worth that much for an extra 8k of ram that isn't actually usable so anyone who would spend more than £100 (and that's pushing it), has Rocks for brains as far as I'm concerned!

tjohnson

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 16:43, 27 December 17

Well basically in recent years there's been a ridiculous spike increase in old machines, most of them really not worth the asking price. I see people selling tatty old boxes to "add value to your machine", and that's beyond wrong and it's making the retro community fucking miserable lately. Then you've "untested", and I use this term very loosely as it's usually shit found in an attic or a skip and most likely faulty, and know full well it doesn't work but will sell anyway.

There's a certain amount I'll pay for an Amstrad or any other machine with a few games bundled in cos I know I'll probably have to fork out extra for additional repair and in some cases shipping. A CPC472 as rare as it is, really isn't worth that much for an extra 8k of ram that isn't actually usable so anyone who would spend more than £100 (and that's pushing it), has Rocks for brains as far as I'm concerned!
What's the real value of the machines?   Some people seem to sell 6128 for silly amounts and even chancers are listing 464 for high amounts. There is a seller on ebay who seems to list 6128+ for close to 300 without monitor claiming to have refurbished them, I don't really know what that means other than cleaning and applying a new belt.

I actually enjoy repairing things to an extent but i bought a "working" 464 but when i tested it, it didn't work.  Then i put a fuse in the plug and it did. I contacted the seller asking why there was no fuss and they didn't respond, so they obviously thought it was bust but sold it as working.

Vyper68

The other sad thing i have seen more on the ZX Spectrum & C64 eBay scene is machines being broken down to base components. It's like the whole of eBay has become overrun with business and not single people selling their old kit.

The machines i have bought off eBay have been a dissapointment of late the CPC464 sold as untested i had to invest in a new 5V PSU & SCART on the offchance it would work and i was pleased when it fired up. The 6128 was sold as should work as working when stored but there is no way it was tested before shipping so it took some work to get it fixed. My old +2A Spectrum was sold a working but the PSU was dogy and caused a lot of noise so i ended up buying a new +2/3 PSU from Germany.

I was gutted when i thought i had broken the 464 when i knocked my DDI-3 interface and the screen went black but it still worked and i'm more careful. I try to look after them when they get here but it is becoming more difficult. I try to fix then and keep them going but my skills are basic at best but i do find the whole eBay thing becoming quite depressing.

Shaun M. Neary

I ditched eBay a long time ago and went on Facebook groups. I would have recommended Retro For Sale but that's getting as bad as eBay and the moderators don't give a flying fuck, in fact they put the blame on you for calling ridiculous prices in the first place. I'm about to leave it.

Amstrad For Sale is worth checking. And if you want colour clash, there's Sinclair For Sale too.

chinnyhill10

You can still get bargains on Ebay. Picked up a 464 for 15 quid a few months ago for a feature for the channel. Works perfectly.

Thing is are you prepared to take a punt on something that says 'untested'. Because CPC's aren't like Commodore Plus 4's which can be listed as 'tested' but then fail when they arrive (like mine did). They are generally pretty solid and are just 'untested' because people don't know how to work them. The two 464's I've picked up off Ebay were both untested and are fine as was my German 6128. New belts needed granted but other than that, fine.

I've had less joy with 'untested' Spectrum's but that again is down to design and the fact kiddies messed around with them. Usually blown RAM due to the the wrong PSU being used. +2a's and +3's are better due to different PSU.

In terms of 8 bits, I'd always take a punt on an untested Amstrad, Acorn or MSX. A Sinclair or Commodore is risk. And you lot know how much stuff I pick up for the channel (have my eye on something this weekend, again untested and cheap).
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Vyper68 on 21:39, 27 December 17

I was gutted when i thought i had broken the 464 when i knocked my DDI-3 interface and the screen went black but it still worked and i'm more careful.

We've all been there even back on the day. Edge connectors are a terrible way to interface to a machine. Industrial contact cleaner does help though.

This is why I keep meaning to make my German 6128 the 'daily driver' as it has Centronics connectors and I can plug and replug to my hearts content.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

VincentGR

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 12:05, 28 December 17
Edge connectors are a terrible way to interface to a machine.

So true, I am standing still with my ZX+Divide and Timex+RAM  :picard2:

Chinnery

This has to be one of the best/worst scambay auctions...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amstrad/302578708168

I just wish ebay would allow a blocked seller's list.. I wouldn't trust this wee seller for anything.

Gryzor

Well, it's a working drive, plus dozens of games. Expensive? Perhaps. Scam? Why?

tjohnson

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:58, 31 December 17
Well, it's a working drive, plus dozens of games. Expensive? Perhaps. Scam? Why?
Yeah why is this a scam,  certainly looks over priced for a drive with no interface and a bunch of cassette games with little or no real value.

Gryzor

One thing is expensive, another is scam.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Chinnery

Perhaps I am too cynical. Its the C64 copy of Rambo and the Snes Joe & Mac that are included in this "tested" lot.

Chinnery

Bryce

Quote from: Chinnery on 15:18, 31 December 17
Perhaps I am too cynical. Its the C64 copy of Rambo and the Snes Joe & Mac that are included in this "tested" lot.

He is obviously only refering to the drive as "tested". Either way, those cassettes are huge (look how big they are compared to the car parked beside them in the fifth picture!). I certainly don't have a tapedeck they'd fit in:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amstrad/302578708168

Bryce.

Vyper68

Quote from: Bryce on 09:31, 02 January 18
He is obviously only refering to the drive as "tested". Either way, those cassettes are huge (look how big they are compared to the car parked beside them in the fifth picture!). I certainly don't have a tapedeck they'd fit in:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amstrad/302578708168

Bryce.

They look like nice alloys, i wonder if they are 3rd Party or Dealer Parts i cannot tell from this angle.  :D

Bryce

Quote from: Vyper68 on 11:01, 02 January 18
They look like nice alloys, i wonder if they are 3rd Party or Dealer Parts i cannot tell from this angle.  :D

I suspect they are plastic :)

Bryce.

Vyper68