News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

"new" appears only in child boards on android

Started by Wanderer, 13:20, 27 August 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Wanderer

For a couple of weeks, i've been accessing the forum from my mobile device (Android-chrome) and i saw the desktop page. Since last week, i see a mobile version of the pages (i'm guessing due to a forum update?). Anyway, the forum in general looks better, with larger fonts. The only thing i've noticed is that in the man page, "new" for new posts appears only in "child boards" and not the main forums.
- Wanderer -

Gryzor

Yeah, that was a rather dirty hack to give the forum a semblance of mobile friendliness until (if) the software gets an update, so I'm afraid I'm not going to be slashing the css any more...

Apologies for that. You can always use the desktop mode though...

Gryzor

Good eye though, I completely missed that 😀

Wanderer

Pitty. Apart from that minor issue though, it looks fine on my Android. Nice touch...

Let's hope the software eventually gets updated.
- Wanderer -

Gryzor

Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath... Been looking into alternative forum solutions for a while, but it's not an easy exercise.

Wanderer

OK, i'll correct myself here. The same thing is happening on the desktop site too. The actual issue is that in the Android version, the forum icons are not visible (the column before the forum names)! These are the indicators that let you know whether a forum has new posts or not.

Is there a chance of showing them (perhaps a smaller version of them)?

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:44, 27 August 20Been looking into alternative forum solutions for a while, but it's not an easy exercise.

Personally i like phpbb for forum software, but i'm guessing you are looking for something more advanced.
- Wanderer -

Gryzor

But... There's no "Android version"! Probably something to do with the browser, but on my device the first column with the icons appears perfectly. It doesn't make any sense to not appear since it's the first column!?

I like phpbb too, but I think this, too has stalled... I'm thinking Xen or Discourse, perhaps.

Wanderer

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:52, 28 August 20
But... There's no "Android version"! Probably something to do with the browser, but on my device the first column with the icons appears perfectly. It doesn't make any sense to not appear since it's the first column!?

Well, should have said "mobile version". :)

Anyway, on my device (5.5" xiaomi with chrome), the first column does not appear. I wonder why...
- Wanderer -

Wanderer

- Wanderer -

Gryzor

Ah that's not the desktop version though, that's the mobile version. No column is present there, by design.

Wanderer

Quote from: Gryzor on 21:03, 28 August 20
Ah that's not the desktop version though, that's the mobile version. No column is present there, by design.

Yup, that's what i was talking about. That way though, there is no way to know if a forum has new messages. That's why i suggested to show the first column with the icons, perhaps smaller than what it appears in the desktop version.
- Wanderer -

Gryzor

Well as I said, that's by design... Can't have too many elements. If new posts are so important, you can always use the Unread button or subscribe to the various sections?

Skunkfish

There's definitely something weird going on with the site on my phone in the past week or so... I'm just avoiding using from there at the moment.
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Gryzor

Quote from: Skunkfish on 11:38, 01 September 20
There's definitely something weird going on with the site on my phone in the past week or so... I'm just avoiding using from there at the moment.

Indeed, weird as in "mobile-friendly", or "responsive" :D You can always request the desktop version from your browser and it will appear as it used to.

What's weird for you?

Skunkfish

1. If I was logged out it used to take me to the log-in page, now it doesn't seem to.

2. It doesn't seem to default to unread messages as it did before.

3. The interface to select different sections (such as unread messages) seems mostly to compose of blue question marks.

Screenshot attached.
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Gryzor

The first two do not apply; the forum did never auto-forward to the login page, and never to the unread messages either. You probably had some bookmark you used, or a saved address in your address bar?

Aware of the question marks,need to look into it.

Skunkfish

Ah, you are right - I had been using a stored URL that takes me to the unread page... Also, if I try and access that section without being logged in it does forward me to the login page. I think my stored URL had changed which confused me! (easily done)

Gryzor

Haha yeah, it figures :D

Anyhow, since last night I'm trying some other forum software which has native support for mobile devices...