News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

***POLL ADDED*** News feeds added!

Started by Gryzor, 10:24, 04 July 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you prefer the news feed to appear here in the forum or on the Wiki main page?

Forum
2 (20%)
Wiki
7 (70%)
None
0 (0%)
Both
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Gryzor

Hello guys,
If you haven't noticed, the "Events" board became "News & Events". And, in it, we're fetching the feeds from:
-Octoate's Blog
-Genesis 8
-Xyphoe's Youtube Stream
Not the entire posts are fetched, because I don't want to steal traffic from those sites (on the contrary), but I think it's useful as it is...?
Let me know if you can think of any other feeds to add!

Gryzor

Hey, man, I had forgotten about your vids... I added then to the NewsBot, if you don't mind :)

ukmarkh

I thought the newsbot was spam... noticed you added mine also. Thanks!

Cholo

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:15, 20 July 10
Hey, man, I had forgotten about your vids... I added then to the NewsBot, if you don't mind :)
Sure mate, add as many you want  :)

Gryzor

@ukmarkh: spam? It says "Newsbot", not "Spambot"! And you really thought we'd have let it post tens of posts like that without kicking it out? :D Plus, you should have reported it :p Anyway, yes, I did add yours as a matter of fact, goes without saying!

@Cholo: it just pulls all the vids you post automatically, that's the beauty of it :)

Again, if you got any sources you see fit to be included, please let me know!

ukmarkh

I'm working on a new vid for the CPC... short intro and lots of content. My Mac died so I'm having to do it on a PC, hence why it's taking so long. Will add shortly.

Gryzor

No problem, it will be pulled automatically with the next refresh :) Can't wait to watch it!

nurgle

The newsbot is very irritating in the view for Unread posts. Is there a ways to remove it from that view?

Gryzor

Sorry, no. There a re a couple of workarounds but nothing covering it perfectly.

On the other hand, don't despair as the lots of news happened when I first added a news stream. If I ever add another stream I'll tell it to not import older news items, so that disruption will be much more minimal...

nurgle

I still don't like it. What's the use of an RSS Gateway in a Forum? Can't we have an RSS Aggregator page for that? However I found the Mark Read button on the News Board to make all of it go away from my unread view.

Gryzor

But... it *is* an RSS aggregator! :D

Ok, what you presumably mean is have a mediawiki RSS aggregator maybe? I was thinking about that and I have found a solution - I think (haven't tested it). I guess that, typically, it'd be best fit for the wiki itself, though it seems to be rather successful here... should we put it to a vote?

Anyone else?

nurgle

Vote would be nice. But if I am the only person to complain, than by all means ignore me and leave it like it is.

Gryzor

Here, I added a poll. Let's see how it goes :)