News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

A little help with the wiki?

Started by Gryzor, 11:54, 11 August 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Hello guys,

Unfortunately I find that every time I stop updating the wiki homepage with news and releases, after a bit nobody does, either. Unfortunately I can't keep track of everything, so let me ask you to please perhaps spend a couple of minutes every now and then to do it? By editing a page you can see how it works, too - it's really easy...

Thanks.

reidrac

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:54, 11 August 16
Hello guys,

Unfortunately I find that every time I stop updating the wiki homepage with news and releases, after a bit nobody does, either. Unfortunately I can't keep track of everything, so let me ask you to please perhaps spend a couple of minutes every now and then to do it? By editing a page you can see how it works, too - it's really easy...

Thanks.

OK, I'll put Golden Tail on it.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:54, 11 August 16
Hello guys,

Thanks.

I did a bunch of edits on the OldNews page after finding a bunch of NoRecess links were dead, but found a new URL for their site along with the relevant news. I updated all apart from the v2.2 of HxC Floppy Emulator Manager, which had been superseded by a later version (which was updated).

But you're talking about updating the Main Page when New stuff is coming out aren't you?
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

reidrac

Done!

(Not as straightforward as I was expecting)

Maintaining news using a Wiki is awkward, but there you are. I'll try to remember to update the front page when I release a new game.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Gryzor

@reidrac : thanks man; I didn't mean the devs announcing their own stuff (though I'd be grateful for that, too), it was a general request :) Why awkward?

@AMSDOS : thanks man, I did see your edits. And yes I was mainly talking about the main page, but it doesn't matter, every little helps!

||C|-|E||

I am quite in a crazy schedule right now (that is why I still could not reply the e-mail!!  :-\ ) but I will try to do my best!!  :D

SRS

TFM

Well, good to know, that we all are welcome to also update the front page.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:28, 11 August 16
@reidrac : thanks man; I didn't mean the devs announcing their own stuff (though I'd be grateful for that, too), it was a general request :) Why awkward?

For some reason I thought this was what you were after, Devs announcing their own stuff.

Your Computer Programs

genesis8

I can do some editing too.

By the way, would you be interested by adding the FAQ of comp.sys.amstrad.8bit on the wiki so it could be updated easily ?

Otherwise I will add a wiki on my web site for this.

Audronic

@Gryzor

? Does that mean that  "ANYBODY " can go in and stuff up any or all of the Pages ??

Please consider some Protection, Log in/Password of Known users.

Thanks    Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Gryzor

Quote from: SRS on 19:23, 11 August 16
Will do !

Thanks mate :)

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 13:49, 11 August 16
I am quite in a crazy schedule right now (that is why I still could not reply the e-mail!!  :-\ ) but I will try to do my best!!  :D

Yes, I figured :D

Quote from: TFM on 19:24, 11 August 16
Well, good to know, that we all are welcome to also update the front page.  :)

Why not? Actually I've asked for help with it in the past :)

Quote from: genesis8 on 11:57, 12 August 16
I can do some editing too.

By the way, would you be interested by adding the FAQ of comp.sys.amstrad.8bit on the wiki so it could be updated easily ?

Otherwise I will add a wiki on my web site for this.

Thanks for the offer.

About the FAQ.... Ah!!! Small piece of trivia: the wiki evolved into its first incarnation from a thought I had of doing something better with the csa8 FAQ! Seriously, that was my original idea. It snowballed from there.

So, yeah, I would like the FAQ to be on the wiki - as a matter of fact, at a prominent place. A few months back (?) I played with some FAQ php platforms to see if I could build something nice, but unfortunately didn't find a decent solution. But maybe it's time to start working on it... so yeah, please do add it :)

Quote from: AMSDOS on 09:55, 12 August 16

For some reason I thought this was what you were after, Devs announcing their own stuff.

Well, ideally yes, because devs know stuff before anyone else and are in a better position. However, I understand that the devs are busy erm, developing stuff :D

Quote from: Audronic on 12:14, 12 August 16
@Gryzor
Does that mean that  "ANYBODY " can go in and stuff up any or all of the Pages ??

Please consider some Protection, Log in/Password of Known users.

Of course not :D The wiki employs an account system, you've got to be registered to edit pages. I don't think we've had any spam in quite a while now...

pelrun

Quote from: Audronic on 12:14, 12 August 16
? Does that mean that  "ANYBODY " can go in and stuff up any or all of the Pages ??

It's not really a problem. Even if someone with an account decided to vandalise pages, it's really easy to see it happen and roll it back to the previous version.

And really, we're a small enough community that we've only got the one troublemaker, anyway.  :laugh:

Audronic

Ok Thanks
I have never tried to edit a page, I was just being cautious.
(Must stop taking the "Paranoia Tablets" )
Thanks    Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Audronic on 23:33, 12 August 16
Ok Thanks
I have never tried to edit a page, I was just being cautious.
(Must stop taking the "Paranoia Tablets" )
Thanks    Ray

Understandable given the Aust. events of this past week!

Your Computer Programs

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:01, 12 August 16

Well, ideally yes, because devs know stuff before anyone else and are in a better position. However, I understand that the devs are busy erm, developing stuff :D

Some of those programs which have been released since last year I noticed are linking back to Forum topics. I can understand Authors posting updates of their software on the forum, though I'm just surprised they didn't make a page for it on the Wiki, and write up a bit of a history about the program.   :)

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

Yeah, ideally people could create pages about their products, even with help - a couple of times people have sent me their materials and I prepared the pages. but it doesn't happen often...

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:45, 16 August 16
Yeah, ideally people could create pages about their products, even with help - a couple of times people have sent me their materials and I prepared the pages. but it doesn't happen often...

For some reason I thought there were more pages on the wiki for these new releases, but instead quite a few games announced in the news column on the main page and on the Older News section, point links going back to the forum.  ???  Some of those games though have links pointing back to authors own website, The Mojo Twins for example, no wonder you're asking for help.  :(  The only game I know that has a page on the Wikl is Orion Prime, and that's going back to 2009.  ???

Your Computer Programs