News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

About TFM ban

Started by Hicks, 12:41, 04 March 14

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilmarkus

Funny fact about the TFM ban:
Since he has been banned by Gryzor, we have a new permanent guest in my German CPC Forum ;)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Bryce

Quote from: MaV on 13:22, 13 March 14
Also, if this is a language barrier problem, simply by inference we all here must be at each others throats, since the inception of this forum, because there are English (from all parts of the Commonwealth), German, French, Spanish, Greek, Danish, Belgian, Italian, Romanian, Czech, Russian users here (and probably some I forgot to mention).

Ignoring the fact that you forgot YOUR OWN country :D ..... I feel insulted, marginalised, discriminated against..rant...rant...etc...because you forgot Ireland. :(

Bryce.

MaV

Oh yes, the Irish and the Austrians! How could I forget.

I demand an immediate ban of myself for my careless post! :D

Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

tastefulmrship

Easy fix for all issues!

BAN EVERYONE!

Gryzor

The "sorry, must have been a language barrier-related misunderstanding" excuse can only hold water for so long. I've only worked in multinationals in my life (not very long, then, but oh well), so I tend to work with foreigners from around the globe more than I do with Greeks (heh, working with some Germans these days). Some of them speak English fluently; with others, it's a nightmare. But never, ever have I or them been insulted or offended because of a linguistic faux pas, even though I very often go beyond business discussions with those persons. It's only in our scene where people claim, repeatedly so, that "ooh, must have been because I don't speak English that well" thing.

@MaV: "malapropism"? Thanks, man, learn something new every day.

steve

If only there was automatic translation of every post to the readers language, then we would not take offence with each other but blame the crap translation software instead.
Next step would be an autocensor so Gryzor would no longer be responsble for maintaining some level of civility between members. :o :D

Gryzor

Lolz[nb]Lolen[/nb] :D

BSC

Quote from: MaV on 13:22, 13 March 14
[...]

We're not doing a poetry contest here. And the occasional malapropism or wrong stylistic choice of words will readily be winked at by English native speakers.
[...]

Are you threatening me?! Did you just say malapropsien ... heck I can't even type that ...

** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

MaV

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:31, 13 March 14
Lolz[nb]Lolen[/nb] :D
Also:
loler (french: rhymes with about 200 other words, half of which have a sexual connotation, while 10 are just slippery)
λολος (greek: The greek claim to have invented it based on an obscure tablet found on cyprus in the Arkadian dialect)
lollen (german: the discipline needed to speak it correctly amounts to 10 years of hard prussian military training or 10 years of daily heavy beer drinking)
llochjliabhetalana (irish: is actually just spelled lolz; linguists have heated arguments why it is written that way.)
¡lolé! (spanish: usually spoken unisono when groups of spaniards meet at arenas, stadiums and retro computing fairs in Madrid. How they achieve this at the same time is still a mystery, scientist claim it is a secret ingredient in the local tapas)

I guess, I'm trying to vent a bit of frustration at two escalations I had to handle at the same time these past days.

MaV

Quote from: BSC on 16:41, 13 March 14Are you threatening me?! Did you just say malapropsien ... heck I can't even type that ...
No probs, I can offer training! ;)

Zu irgendwas muss die Schule ja gut gewesen sein!

rexbeng

Quote from: MaV on 17:06, 13 March 14
Also: [...]

Care to parse the word 'lolita' as well? ;D

rb

MaV

Quote from: rexbeng on 17:17, 13 March 14
Care to parse the word 'lolita' as well? ;D
Sure. It's old greek for "best lolerette" (the translation does not quite convey the meaning - see below for its roots)
The word apparently lost its "s" (originally lolista) and the ending -a points to the dialect of Lesbos (cf. attic σελήνη and eolic σελάννα as can be seen in poems of Sappho). It is known that Sappho housed a lot of girls in her house, and while Greek men tried their best at Olympia, women had their fun at Lesbos (where else, the men were all occupied).
Alas, the details of the festivities and what the lolista was best at can only be guessed. The only copy of the lolitonomicon rested in the library of Alexandria (so, the Romans are to blame for the burning of the book). The book itself is said to explain strange rituals in scarce clothing under the moon light at the beach in one chapter.

rexbeng

Quote from: MaV on 17:31, 13 March 14
Sure.

I just wanted to say that I liked your post three times already! ;D

rb

Gryzor

Also:
loler (french: rhymes with about 200 other words, half of which have a sexual connotation, while 10 are just slippery)
λολος (greek: The greek claim to have invented it based on an obscure tablet found on cyprus in the Arkadian dialect)
lollen (german: the discipline needed to speak it correctly amounts to 10 years of hard prussian military training or 10 years of daily heavy beer drinking)
llochjliabhetalana (irish: is actually just spelled lolz; linguists have heated arguments why it is written that way.)
¡lolé! (spanish: usually spoken unisono when groups of spaniards meet at arenas, stadiums and retro computing fairs in Madrid. How they achieve this at the same time is still a mystery, scientist claim it is a secret ingredient in the local tapas)

And this, I think, qualifies as Post of the Month. Thank you.

As a note of interest, and I had never before made the connection, there is the Greek word "λωλός" (pronounced about the same though) meaning silly, crazy :D

robcfg

I suggest the creation of a 'sarcasm' tag to avoid further problems.

</sarcasm> Lolé! :D

BSC

Quote from: MaV on 17:31, 13 March 14
Sure. It's old greek for "best lolerette" (the translation does not quite convey the meaning - see below for its roots)
The word apparently lost its "s" (originally lolista) and the ending -a points to the dialect of Lesbos (cf. attic σελήνη and eolic σελάννα as can be seen in poems of Sappho). It is known that Sappho housed a lot of girls in her house, and while Greek men tried their best at Olympia, women had their fun at Lesbos (where else, the men were all occupied).
Alas, the details of the festivities and what the lolista was best at can only be guessed. The only copy of the lolitonomicon rested in the library of Alexandria (so, the Romans are to blame for the burning of the book). The book itself is said to explain strange rituals in scarce clothing under the moon light at the beach in one chapter.

Wow! Is dealing with sappicism and the likes your profession?! me envy! Also: bloody on topic we are - an I like it :D
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

Gryzor

Spent some time on Lesvos (Mytilene) island doing my military service. Imagine my surprise as, when the ship approached the harbor for the first time, I saw a huge banner greeting me: "LESBIAN SUMMER". That was a nice welcome message...

MaV

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:07, 13 March 14
"λωλός"
"LESBIAN SUMMER"
Lolz! No, wait! That must be λωλoι. :)

@BSC: Nope. It's just the usual IT-job. However, I am interested in linguistal topics and old languages.

MaV

Hm, I'm beginning to wonder if lingerie with a small printed sign "λωλιστῃ" - to the best lolerette - might be a good sales idea. ;) (btw, the official spelling is now with
ω since Gryzor established its common origin with λωλός. ;) )

Carnivius

do i have to go to a meeting to be a qualified cpc community person-dude?   :'(
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Sykobee (Briggsy)

Quote from: Carnivac on 22:17, 13 March 14
do i have to go to a meeting to be a qualified cpc community person-dude?   :'(

You haven't undergone the ritual of eightbittenisation? OMG! Heretic! :p

I haven't gone to any meetings either. Certainly not in Greece.

tastefulmrship

I've been to numerous Amiga copy parties in the early 90s (with Pogo T Mighty, Pieman, the Bamiga Sector 1 and Kent Team guys). Does that count? Am I allowed to say that I support the CPC or can I only support Aaammmiiigggaaahhh?
(Not that I'm bothered, as the Amiga has some seriously awesome demos spanning decades, including the Retro Platform Demo winner from Revision 2013, which is questionable in itself as a 16-bit platform shouldn't really be competing with 8-bit machines and the Amiga has it's own category... but I reckon that ship has sailed a long time ago! However, it was nice to see Rink-A-Dink as Paradroid originally intended it and Nuke's tunes are always amazing! I've done a CPC conversion of the "hidden-part" music, Car Boot Sale, and plan to release it one day as part of my new musicdisk... if we ever get the thing coded! ^_^ Sorry, coder friend, no offense intended! See, I'm using smileys to convey an sense of sarcasm and humour to stoic, plain text)
:)

Also, I am confused?!?!?! Does each post have to have a smiley in it as well? Just so we all know it's not meant to be insulting (as it's obviously the international internet symbol of sarcasm and humourous banter amongst people who have never met and probably never will or want to)

:-)

(EDIT: This was meant to be a tiny, few words post, but I got a little carried away! Sorry about that!)

AMSDOS

Quote from: robcfg on 19:41, 13 March 14
I suggest the creation of a 'sarcasm' tag to avoid further problems.

</sarcasm> Lolé! :D

I always thought that if sarcasm was in Italics, it would look more sarcastic.

Stone the Flamin' Crows

I could somewhat relate to Steve McQueen from The Great Escape on the other CPC Forum before it went down because I had a go at the design from the onset and got Sent to the Cooler, and went back again for whinging and doing something stupid.  ;D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Bryce

What a great word, but you seem to have slipped some Welsh and Icelandic into it too :) (no wonder the linguists are confused) Double L at the start = Welsh only (what a wierd language). J in the middle is more Icelandic, in Irish we don't have a J at all. In fact we don't have J, K, Q, V, W, X, Y or Z in our alphabet!

Lolz in Irish would be Gaoa = Gáire amach os ard :)

Bryce.

Gryzor

Quote from: MaV on 21:47, 13 March 14
Hm, I'm beginning to wonder if lingerie with a small printed sign "λωλιστῃ" - to the best lolerette - might be a good sales idea. ;) (btw, the official spelling is now with
ω since Gryzor established its common origin with λωλός. ;) )

Μορε ιντερψον--oooops sorry, forgot my keyboard while looking for etymologies. Ahem

More interconnectedness: λωλός is a synonym of μωρός (stupid, silly, crazy). However, μωρός has the same root as μωρό, meaning baby, and naturally also "babe". Bazinga!

PS I think I'm making some custom undies with "λωλίστη" (why the undertone on "η"?) for my girl :D