News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad Action TYPE-IN PROJECT

Started by CPCIak, 09:56, 03 January 10

Previous topic - Next topic

robbarton

Quote from: AMSDOS on 23:52, 18 June 16

Might of been a comment line that got deleted? AA50 Type-ins had the same problems (particularly the Fracland program), think it was Adam Warning's 1st time at Type-ins, but I can understand their dilemma of having to get a program to fit onto an A4 page, which would range from meeting deadlines, getting a program to fit with other programs, limited pages allocated and trying to fill in a whole page of programs, no wonder they were saying to try and keep your programs as small as possible and of course they would of loved small programs for the odd corner that needed filling because someone's program took 95% of a page!  :D

Interesting to compare that Lean Letters program to my Condensed Text program. The differences I've noticed is the use of ORIGIN to place the characters, I'm using MOVE and have placed a formula for working out the position of XPOS.
I didn't do anything with YPOS funnily enough, the top left corner starting at 398 and the following lines down can be worked out with 398-(YPOS*16), with YPOS having a value between 1 to 24 and 0 is used for working out the top.
It's a shame the Lean Letters program doesn't assign a variable string for the user to place their words into, in that circumstance they would of needed to use MID$ to place the appropriate characters, but still I guess it's author was happy to see their program get expanded on, AA used to do that from time to time back then.

Oh my word - Fracland was the exact example! I skipped ahead to that and input it manually on the CPC while the Mrs was using the PC  :P and that was no fun! I saved it via HxC to sd card and then reimported it into WinApe to correct...

You make very fair points about the issues AA faced - lack of dedicated staff was one (probably more a problem later on) and I suppose it was much much more actual cut and paste to layout the page in the 1980s, so stuff might get cut off/overlapped at the printers. I never really gave it much thought from their side I suppose  :-[

Anyway, uploaded issues 35 and 36 to the wiki today, so only 37 and 38 to do then 1988 is complete!

I'm sure I was supposed to be doing something else important today...what was it...Euro 2016 football? No... never mind, I'm sure I'll remember in the morning ;)

AMSDOS

Quote from: robbarton on 20:28, 23 June 16

Oh my word - Fracland was the exact example! I skipped ahead to that and input it manually on the CPC while the Mrs was using the PC  :P and that was no fun! I saved it via HxC to sd card and then reimported it into WinApe to correct...

Unfortunately I retain a lot of stuff from AA44,46,47, I don't know how far this extends. Ask me what programs came with AA87 Type-ins, I don't know, but have them written down. I started writing them down after an AA Reader submitted a whole list of programs since the beginning, but discovered no original account of the Hacker program (originally published March '88 I think), was on it, just when it was republished in AA43.
AA50 was riddled with problems, but had a great quantity of programs (probably why I remember it well), it was Adam Warning's first time on the type-ins page (replacing Pat McDonald), I was only typing programs up then on an Unexpanded 464 with Green Screen, so 128k Memory Swapper & Fracland, wouldn't work, eventually I would understand the Data Creator, so programs like Boggle, Fireworks & David Hall's Graphical Demos would of been typed in. The Boggle program which was also BASIC 1.1, was merely a GRAPHICS PEN replaced with PEN, was still pleasing to watch on the Green Screen. Fireworks was the only program to be corrected in AA51 & the second David Hall program was missing a line, I discovered this later when David got that program published in ACU, the AA version only switched the INK palette  :D  The last program I got around to was the Supercat program & that had problems as well (missing line numbers) & funny checksum towards the end of the program, fortunately I got the program to work, I'll hunt it down should you need it in future. But I've never entered the Dirprint Program, only because I've never had a Printer or needed a Label maker.

QuoteYou make very fair points about the issues AA faced - lack of dedicated staff was one (probably more a problem later on) and I suppose it was much much more actual cut and paste to layout the page in the 1980s, so stuff might get cut off/overlapped at the printers. I never really gave it much thought from their side I suppose  :-[ 

I guess I've seen enough of those type-ins pages to think gee, they have 4 pages to get readers programs, they would have to decide what would be useful and what people can use (e.g. sticking a whole pile of BASIC 1.1 programs will make the 464 users unhappy), type-ins would of been a bit challenging. One of the earlier bods who did the type-ins page (prior to Pat McDonald), had this way of writing up stuff about published programs, it was around the same time when programs were being published & then similar programs was published in later issues, when enhanced on the earlier program. I don't know who done those pages back then, but it was funny that while some programs were tweaked, other programs that were BASIC 1.1 weren't subjected to the same sort of thing.

QuoteAnyway, uploaded issues 35 and 36 to the wiki today, so only 37 and 38 to do then 1988 is complete!

Excellent! :)

I'm sure I was supposed to be doing something else important today...what was it...Euro 2016 football? No... never mind, I'm sure I'll remember in the morning ;)

Something about an EU?
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

What is an EU then? Doe it require 1.1?

robbarton

I'm working on AA37 and have a problem with the New Character Sets code (this is the last prog I need for this issue).

I've double and triple checked my input so I wonder what is wrong. Could someone else please look at charset.bas and see if there is an error in the code? I've been using the AA scans off the Internet Archive (Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine).

When I run the program it looks like it checks to line 300 then just resets. I'm using WinAPE on a regular 6128 setup (BASIC 1.1, AMSDOS, 128k).

I noticed two things that may/may not make a difference:

Line 20 sets dn=120 but line 110 sets dn=dn+10 so to me  this seems to me to skip checking line 120
Line 100 has a GOTO 2 but line 2 doesn't exist.

I tried changing line 50 to GOTO 90 which then skips the call and runs the rest of the program without error, but then obviously doesn't make the program run as it should.

All help gratefully received, thanks.

AMSDOS

Quote from: robbarton on 09:58, 26 June 16
I'm working on AA37 and have a problem with the New Character Sets code (this is the last prog I need for this issue).

I've double and triple checked my input so I wonder what is wrong. Could someone else please look at charset.bas and see if there is an error in the code? I've been using the AA scans off the Internet Archive (Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine).

When I run the program it looks like it checks to line 300 then just resets. I'm using WinAPE on a regular 6128 setup (BASIC 1.1, AMSDOS, 128k).

I noticed two things that may/may not make a difference:

QuoteLine 20 sets dn=120 but line 110 sets dn=dn+10 so to me  this seems to me to skip checking line 120

I check this and the data in Line 120 is definitely being poked. Line 20 should read dn=110, so when it prints checking line 120, dn will equal 120.

QuoteLine 100 has a GOTO 2 but line 2 doesn't exist.

So line 100 reports a Data error in Line xxx, the GOTO 2 looks like a misprint, I just substituted it with END or STOP can be used, so the error can be corrected.

All help gratefully received, thanks.

The program worked straight away for me:

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

I can report the program is 464 only, the 464 only code is going to be in the Machine Code, most likely a Firmware Address (an spot in memory), which is different on a 464, as from the 664/6128. The program did the same thing as soon as I switched to 6128 mode in Winape.
Hopefully the answer is in the Firmware manual if it is that. Lots of those addresses are listed together, so you get the 464 alongside the 664/6128 equivalent. Unfortunately there is the odd 464 address which doesn't exist on the 664/6128.

Your Computer Programs

robbarton

Perfect, thank you. I should have checked on 464 settings - will do that in future. I will mark it 464 only on the wiki and then if/when we figure out how to rewrite it a new version can be posted.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

AMSDOS

Quote from: robbarton on 11:19, 26 June 16
Perfect, thank you. I should have checked on 464 settings - will do that in future. I will mark it 464 only on the wiki and then if/when we figure out how to rewrite it a new version can be posted.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

I think that's what's happening with that program.

I typed this program in some time ago, which is 464 only. It's not specifically Font related, but it lets you create Stippled text, but wasn't able to figure out how to get it to run in BASIC 1.1.

Your Computer Programs

robbarton

Tonight I've updated the wiki with issues 37 and 38, so that's now the years 1985 to 1988 complete (hooray!)

Next I will either do issues 50+51 to complete 1989, or be random and do issues  77 and 100 to complete 1992 and 1994!

AMSDOS

Quote from: robbarton on 21:51, 29 June 16
Tonight I've updated the wiki with issues 37 and 38, so that's now the years 1985 to 1988 complete (hooray!)

Next I will either do issues 50+51 to complete 1989, or be random and do issues  77 and 100 to complete 1992 and 1994!

I have NIM II & SuperBASIC from AA51 to help you get through AA51 Type-ins quicker (I might also have the EVAL program too). Re: SuperBASIC, I think there was a problem with one of the Scroll command RSXs in the published program which did nothing, unfortunately this program saves out an BINary file, and I think it's only the Binary File I've corrected (not the BASIC program unfortunately). Altering the BASIC program would involve finding the relevant opcodes and changing the Checksum at the end of that line (so a Data error doesn't occur). EDIT: I've had another look at that SuperBASIC program, the command in question, the LEFT & RIGHT commands seem to need to be doubled up (e.g. |RIGHT:|RIGHT ), for them to work, maybe that's where the fault is.  ;D  EDIT2: Hmm there's definitely something odd with SuperBASIC. In BASIC 1.1, the RIGHT command doesn't work at all, but it works on a 464, I'll just get around posting the original program.

AA77 I think was the issue that had the Apple Days game in it, which I've typed in and posted in the Interesting Type-Ins thread.

I'll also mention in AA53 came the Retriever program which I typed in a while ago, to help rescue BASIC programs with Read Errors in them on tape. I had such a program just recently I thought I'd try this program on, but found Retriever didn't like running while AMSDOS was present. I was too lazy to track down one of those programs to disable AMSDOS (they usually appeared in AA Forum section), so removed the ROM (in Winape Settings), transferred Retriever to CDT (with 2CDT), but then I discovered I had a minor typo in it, preventing me to SAVE the program!  ???  Once that was all sorted I recovered the program and could save a new one (WAV file), in Winape.  :D  So other programs from AA53 may also have been typed in, like De-Protect (to unprotect a Protected BASIC file), I might also have the RSX-Strings program (for 464 Users), I also have Worm, but converted it to work on all computers and I think SwText has also been typed-in. The people who wrote SwText also wrote Pandora, and it appears the program is already on CPC-Power with Pandora.

Your Computer Programs

AMSDOS

Okay, so I've managed some programs for you:

* From AA50 I typed in and attached the Supercat program in here. But because the type-in was in such a bad way, I poked the Data in with a Memory editor and included an introductory program with all the commands in it. I know it's not the actual type-in, I simply made it more informative and it's probably better if someone wanted to use it instead of digging out AA50, though I've noticed you've added notes for type-ins which need explanation.

* From AA51, I've attached Nim II and the unmodified version of SuperBASIC.

* From AA53, I wasn't able to find the RSX Strings or the De-Protect Program, but found the treads with those programs here and here.

Your Computer Programs

robbarton

@ AMSDOS:

Thank you very much for your efforts!   :)

I decided to go with AA77 next as I found Balldozer2 on CPC Power, leaving 3 to type in. Thank you for the Apple Dayz link, that also saves me a type-in so just 2 to do.

I typed in AA77's CAT program this morning however I suspect bugs in the original code: it gives me an error in line 220 (type mismatch). Looking at the line:

220 FOR i%=&8000 to &8038:READ code%:POKE i%,code%:NEXT i%

Should we not expect READ code$ rather than code%? code% is not referred to anywhere else in the listing.

(On a side note, line 9011 has a GOTO 474 which also doesn't exist... and lines 860/870 look commented out so not sure why they are still there)

Re: AA50 and 51, I will include your versions of Supercat/Nim II on the wiki since they offer value over the original listings - I will probably include the originals anyway for posterity's sake and mark them bugged on the wiki for the unwary!

I'll now take the time to prepare these items for the wiki, and read that Interesting Type ins thread in case there are any more in there for issues that I've not yet done (and maybe search the forum for the type-ins of the remaining issues).

AMSDOS

Quote from: robbarton on 13:17, 30 June 16
@ AMSDOS:

Thank you very much for your efforts!   :)

I decided to go with AA77 next as I found Balldozer2 on CPC Power, leaving 3 to type in. Thank you for the Apple Dayz link, that also saves me a type-in so just 2 to do.

no worries!  :)

QuoteI typed in AA77's CAT program this morning however I suspect bugs in the original code: it gives me an error in line 220 (type mismatch). Looking at the line:

220 FOR i%=&8000 to &8038:READ code%:POKE i%,code%:NEXT i%

Should we not expect READ code$ rather than code%? code% is not referred to anywhere else in the listing.

hmm, unfortunately my copy of AA77 is packed away at the moment, so line 220 appears to be poking some machine code data to memory between &8000 and &8038. the type mismatch error is occurring from the data it's finding, so code% is defined as Integer (numbers 0-9), anything else would cause that type mismatch. if the data was hexadecimal based for example, code$ can be used, but then your poke will have to change to poke i%,val("&"+code$), i think if the data already has "&" in it, then poke i%,code$ can be used, can't remember if it needs the val in it or not, which returns those string values back to numerical values.

Quote(On a side note, line 9011 has a GOTO 474 which also doesn't exist... and lines 860/870 look commented out so not sure why they are still there)

yes I think there were a few problems with the aa77 type-ins, there was a bit of a fault with the apple days program and was unable to match the typewriter code with a particular line. I'll have a look see, to be honest I never got around typing in that cat program, maybe a lot of people didn't, so the faults didn't get addressed.

QuoteRe: AA50 and 51, I will include your versions of Supercat/Nim II on the wiki since they offer value over the original listings - I will probably include the originals anyway for posterity's sake and mark them bugged on the wiki for the unwary!

I'll now take the time to prepare these items for the wiki, and read that Interesting Type ins thread in case there are any more in there for issues that I've not yet done (and maybe search the forum for the type-ins of the remaining issues).

from what i can tell it just has the alto from aa64, which was basic 1.1, though i modified it so it would work in basic 1.0, using an array to fill in the different keys, which worked.  :)  but i think the basic 1.1 code will still be on that disc. the  pyramids game was in aa66 which has already been done, like alto I made the game so it would work in basic 1.0.

EDIT: Incidentally I forgot to add i had a number of music programs on a particular disk, some from AA. Unfortunately I cannot remember if I had Kwik Musique from AA77 on it. I would of typed it in back in the day, but I don't think I got around to it when I was typing in the other programs. Unfortunately I'll need to check what I have from AA on it, know I have Organ from AA54 and Music FX from AA58 I think it was in, along with the Alto from AA64. Tunegen from AA57 is another one I was going to have a look at.

Your Computer Programs

AMSDOS

I've had a look at the CAT program from AA77, Line 220 is for the DATA between 600-660, I found no problems with the routine in line 220, so it looks like your DATA between those lines is the culprit. I only got a Type mismatch when I replaced a number 0 with the letter o, it's Machine Code Hexadecimal Data, so 0-9 & A-F (or a-f in this case) are valid, the "&' is there to tell BASIC it's a Hexadecimal number, this is one of the old ways of Poking Machine Code to memory.

(On a side note, line 9011 has a GOTO 474 which also doesn't exist... and lines 860/870 look commented out so not sure why they are still there)

Yep, so what I could make out (from the horrible use of GOTOs in that program), is the code doesn't get to Line 9011. There's 2 NEXT b%, but even those aren't processed, instead the program goes from Line 472 to Line 9000, Line 9001 goes to Subroutine at 10000, depending on what b% has in it, that goes to another Subroutine at 880, when it returns, it finds another return depending on the IF condition met between lines 10000-10003, which returns it to Line 9001, b% gets incremented and then goes to Subroutine in 680, does what it has to there, it may return depending on the IF in Line 680 or if b% is not equal to files% it will go though this whole thing til it reaches the RETURN in line 840, which returns it to Line 9001 again to find GOTO 472, so lines 9003-9011 never get processed. Likewise you noticed 860 & 870 have been commented out, this would of been from the Author of that program and should of been deleted prior to sending the program to AA.

Your Computer Programs

robbarton

@AMSDOS:
Thank you - I used typerighter on CAT and found one error in a data statement  :doh: , plus another 2 or three typos elsewhere which are all now fixed and the corrected version of AA77 is uploaded to the wiki.

I have done AA50 with the exception of Super CAT which is being a pain - I have errors in some data statements which Typerighter has flagged but the scan is a bit blurry (or is it my eyes?!  :o ) so I'm having trouble with it.

If you or anyone else is able to scan AA50 page 73 in a high resolution for Super CAT I would be grateful - no rush, I have another 27 issues to do in the meantime  :)

I'm pleased that I've been able to make progress recently and hopefully I can still make the self-imposed Xmas 2016 deadline!

AMSDOS

Quote from: robbarton on 22:38, 02 July 16@AMSDOS:Thank you - I used typerighter on CAT and found one error in a data statement  :doh:  , plus another 2 or three typos elsewhere which are all now fixed and the corrected version of AA77 is uploaded to the wiki.

Excellent! Curious to know, did you type that extra space at the end of the Kwik Musique program? I just typed it in myself yesterday after typing in the Tunegen program from AA57, for some reason I thought AA were saying not to type in that space because it wouldn't match with the Typewriter code, but found it needed that space to produce the correct code.

QuoteI have done AA50 with the exception of Super CAT which is being a pain - I have errors in some data statements which Typerighter has flagged but the scan is a bit blurry (or is it my eyes?!  :o  ) so I'm having trouble with it.

If you or anyone else is able to scan AA50 page 73 in a high resolution for Super CAT I would be grateful - no rush, I have another 27 issues to do in the meantime  :) 

I have the magazine, unfortunately I need to drag out the scanner, but am suffering a sore hip, which means I won't be able to get the scanner out!  :(  I was going to type out the data, but went back to my Binary version, I used the Data Maker from AA56 Type-ins to get the Data, but discovered it did something weird with the data, so I cleaned it up to the way it is in the magazine (unfortunately the Data is in Uppercase A to F, as opposed to the magazine which is in Lowercase a to f), and added the Data Loader from the Magazine. Line 80 is missing, but that's just a Data Error. Each DATA Line has a Checksum number, so that Line 80 could have:

80 PRINT "Error! Data Not Equal to Checksum ";t

to the user can then look for the Line with that Checksum at the end.

The other error in the program is right at the very end of the program - line 270. The Checksum number at the end what looks like a "1" after "1587", but on close examination I think it's an lowercase 'L', this was mentioned in the AA51 type-ins, so the code at the end just needs 1587 and it's fine.

I've attached a disk image of the program. Along with that program I had "Data Maker" from AA56, initially I found a bug in it, but corrected it now, I haven't checked the program with Typewriter to see if the rest is correct. It did something odd with the Data, but I think that was how the program was, as the writer wrote a number of RSX programs and their DATA lines seems to reflect the same as from their Data Maker program. I also found Squeeze, a program from AA57 Type-ins for Compressing a Screen, which asks for Screen Mode & Inks. I've also added the Tunegen program from AA57, the original program has a "CLEAR INPUT" in Line 1050, which I altered to WHILE INKEY$<>"":WEND, AA suggested removing the CLEAR INPUT in that line.

I had some other programs from AA, but had since altered them to LOAD the Binary rather than POKE to memory.

I'm pleased that I've been able to make progress recently and hopefully I can still make the self-imposed Xmas 2016 deadline!

Fingers Crossed.  :)

Your Computer Programs

robbarton

@AMSDOS:

Again, thank you for looking through these type-ins. I'll take what I need from your disk image for the wiki.

About AA50, just get around to it whenever you can - if anyone else is reading this they may step in

Also, AA51 uploaded now - thanks to you providing 2 of 4 programs, and a nice clean scan so few errors to correct from the OCR  :)

AMSDOS

Quote from: robbarton on 08:15, 03 July 16
@AMSDOS:

Again, thank you for looking through these type-ins. I'll take what I need from your disk image for the wiki.

About AA50, just get around to it whenever you can - if anyone else is reading this they may step in

Yeah sorry, I just meant that I have included a copy of Super Cat on that Disc Image above, so it should be good to go on that page.

Your Computer Programs

robbarton

Today I've uploaded wiki pages for AA50 and AA62.

@ AMSDOS - thanks for your help, I saw which of the characters in the SUPERCAT data statements I had mistyped so that completed AA50.

That makes it a complete run from 1985 to 1989 (issue 52 is Jan 1990).

I think there are now 26 issues to go!

Nich

Quote from: robbarton on 13:57, 07 July 16

The AA50 Type-Ins bring back some nice memories. :) Boggle and Fracland produce some really nice graphical effects!

AMSDOS

Quote from: robbarton on 13:57, 07 July 16

Just made a small edit to the page, the Boggle program is also BASIC 1.1, though as AA suggests 464 users can get the program to work by omitting line 14. Unsure how much difference there was made to the program though as I grew up with a Green Screen 464.  :D

Your Computer Programs

robbarton

Uploaded wiki pages for AA issues 53, 54, 55 and 57 today  :)

Now 22 issues to go!

Thank you to Craigsbar and AMSDOS for providing some of the typeins - that speeded things up.

Also I have new PDF software for the copying and pasting so it should be a bit quicker in future.

Only one question - AA54 has Connect Four and that program records the moves each player makes. Unfortunately the window where they are recorded overwrites the title at the top of the screen. I think I have typed it in correctly but if anyone can see a mistake, please can you post here and I'll correct it?

Johnny Olsen

There is an error in the listing. All you have to do is replace

50 DIM co(7,6),moves(42):WINDOW#1,20,30,3,1-l:PAPER #1,0:CLS#1

With

50 DIM co(7,6),moves(42):WINDOW#1,20,30,3,11:PAPER #1,0:CLS#1

Gryzor

Great job, guys... thanks so much for this little treasure :)

robbarton

@ Johnny:  Thank you for the correction, pretty obvious but couldn't work it out!  :doh:

I have uploaded the corrected DSK image to the wiki.

I've also got issue 100 almost ready to upload so will probably do that tomorrow.

robbarton

Issue 100 is now on the wiki.

That leaves 21 issues to go!

However I've just looked at AA56 and the scan of the type ins pages is not brilliant quality (sorry, it's from the download section of the website - the torrent from retropdfs) so it's going to take a while to type and debug it. May have to switch to a clearer issue and put this one to the back of the queue.