News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad Action TYPE-IN PROJECT

Started by CPCIak, 09:56, 03 January 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoe Robinson

I thought the "List x-y" thing was in the manual. I'm sure I read it somewhere. Maybe I read it in a magazine? Either way yes, it's one of the more useful things in the CPC's BASIC when it comes to checking over code.

Also, well done on typing in all these listings. I know I appreciate it and I'm sure a lot of other people do, too. Let me know if you want any more help - I can probably get some of the later issues done fairly quickly, as I have copies of those to hand.

robbarton

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 18:31, 18 August 16
I thought the "List x-y" thing was in the manual. I'm sure I read it somewhere. Maybe I read it in a magazine? Either way yes, it's one of the more useful things in the CPC's BASIC when it comes to checking over code.

I should have looked it up sooner, it's a useful feature. Since I have the 6128 manual it's just pure laziness, kind of like those DIY jobs that get put off permanently.

Also, well done on typing in all these listings. I know I appreciate it and I'm sure a lot of other people do, too. Let me know if you want any more help - I can probably get some of the later issues done fairly quickly, as I have copies of those to hand.

Thank you - if it's ok with you, please start at the highest number (currently AA98) and work down, and I'll work up the list. I'll also check this thread so if anyone else wants to help then maybe if they 'claim' the issue they want to work on, then everyone else knows not to do it!

It's been a nice collective effort - I got the AA scans from the download section of the forum, I've also had new scans from @AMSDOS for AA56, and helpful comments to correct the inevitable typos. I think seeing progress being made is a positive for everyone as well as ensuring the type ins are moved into a useful format (not much point in them being on a page or in a scanned file now).

Maybe in the future one large compressed archive of the type-ins would be a good idea for the wiki and archive.org, rather than having to download each issue individually if you want the lot?

robbarton

Also here is a plea - is anybody able to provide clearer scans of the type ins pages for AA26 please?

I noticed that there was no dsk file to download from the wiki for that issue, so I started to type them myself but it's hard going and I'm guessing some of the code as the pdf isn't clear  :o and the OCR is not perfect.

I would take a clear scan or ideally a new OCR of the pages if anyone can oblige.

Thanks

Nich

Quote from: robbarton on 20:11, 18 August 16
Also here is a plea - is anybody able to provide clearer scans of the type ins pages for AA26 please?

I would take a clear scan or ideally a new OCR of the pages if anyone can oblige.
Here you go. I scanned the Type-Ins section this evening (6 pages in total).

Note that there are other listings elsewhere in the magazine.

robbarton

Quote from: Nich on 21:54, 18 August 16
Here you go. I scanned the Type-Ins section this evening (6 pages in total).

Note that there are other listings elsewhere in the magazine.
Thank you, that is helpful. I did notice a LOT of other short bits of code throughout the issue, so after the type ins section itself I might look at the rest for the sake of completion.

AMSDOS

Quote from: robbarton on 14:01, 18 August 16
As an adult I've got a lot from reading the type-ins; when I was younger it was all about the games whereas now the type-in games aren't so exciting but there are some useful tools (e.g. AA59's Poke-It Multiface replacement; might seem useless on an emulator but on the real machine with no Multiface it's ideal).

Actually it was quite useless on a real machine as well, it was definitely no Multiface 2 replacement. And the Letters came flooding onto the Reaction pages. I think the idea behind it was it could allow you to poke early AMSOFT games, but people were testing it out on any old thing and finding it didn't work. I did have a few AMSOFT games around then though, but I don't recall it working on things like Harrier Attack, Astro Attack, Roland in Time & Haunted Hedges. I had more luck using the Republished Hacker program from AA43 to give me Infinite Lives in Astro Attack. There was two RSXs, one to Install the thing & Small Enter to Enter the Poke (I tested it before loading the game to see if it would work), and a RUN RSX to load the program, I think the idea behind that was it gave the program more chance of working, but I think if the AMSOFT loader was written in BASIC, you had to bypass, though one needed knowledge (Start Address, Length, Execute Address), to save out the Binary with that info, probably after all that, you could use the RUN RSX to hack into the Game with Poke-It.

But as I said, I never got it to work, so it's only theory.  ;D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

AMSDOS

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 18:31, 18 August 16

In all the manuals there are a comprehensive list of keywords, so LIST is there. A while ago I was looking to see if I could use a list portions of a program using variables, but discovered it only took Numbers, and found that back in the Day, John Keneally must of had the same dilemma, but instead of putting it in the too-hard basket, wrote this program instead, the only downside to it, is it's 464 only, though I tried to get it working for BASIC 1.1, but had no luck in figuring it out. So you may see, sometimes BASIC 1.0 can do stuff not possible in 1.1. :o

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

Quote from: robbarton on 19:45, 18 August 16
Maybe in the future one large compressed archive of the type-ins would be a good idea for the wiki and archive.org, rather than having to download each issue individually if you want the lot?

Sure, why not? it wouldn't be THAT large anyhow!!

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:50, 19 August 16
Sure, why not? it wouldn't be THAT large anyhow!!

I bet we could make it that large. ;)

AMSDOS

Quote from: robbarton on 14:01, 18 August 16
Today I uploaded type ins for AA56, AA58 and AA59. That completes 1990!

Incidentally I forgot to mention the workaround AA had for the Bounce Game from AA58. Unfortunately I don't remember which issue it was in, but was printed on their Forum pages. That workaround removed saving the High Scores for Cassette users and some BASIC 1.1 commands were replaced with 464 Equivalents, really needs to be on CDT to make it more nostalgic.  :)

Your Computer Programs

robbarton

Today I uploaded AA64 - made easier thanks to @AMSDOS who provided Alto and @Nich who had previously uploaded Block Builders (aka Tetris) to nvg.

Only 17 issues left now  :)

Nich

Quote from: robbarton on 09:44, 29 August 16
Today I uploaded AA64 - made easier thanks to @AMSDOS who provided Alto and @Nich who had previously uploaded Block Builders (aka Tetris) to nvg.

You did well to type in Musical Chords and Scales! I tried typing it in once but gave up due to the ridiculous number of spaces used and being unable to count them properly. :laugh:

I never understood why Tetris was renamed to Block-Builders in the magazine. This was well before The Tetris Company started getting litigious and suing anybody and everybody who dared to use the Tetris name.

robbarton

Just a quick post to say that I have almost completed issues 65 and 69 (need checking) so they should be on the wiki at the weekend. Also in the remaining issues there are a few type ins that were lifted from the manual which I will not add, so that cuts down by another few.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

AMSDOS

Quote from: robbarton on 07:11, 15 September 16
Just a quick post to say that I have almost completed issues 65 and 69 (need checking) so they should be on the wiki at the weekend. Also in the remaining issues there are a few type ins that were lifted from the manual which I will not add, so that cuts down by another few.

Issue 65 - that was the issue with the Ladders game, that was a pretty cool game, even the 2 bad dudes you had to avoid worked in the game very well. Probably a good game to have a look at in terms of studying the AI for those Bad guys.

Your Computer Programs

Nich

Quote from: robbarton on 07:11, 15 September 16

And if I remember correctly, Space Hockey in AA65 is a modified version of a listing of the same name that was published in AA42.

zeropolis79

Quote from: robbarton on 09:44, 29 August 16

Only 17 issues left now  :)

Is the FTP on NVG still active? Would like to find the Ken Bond adventures I remember seeing on there in the mid 90s.. Thanks

AMSDOS

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 22:02, 15 September 16
Is the FTP on NVG still active? Would like to find the Ken Bond adventures I remember seeing on there in the mid 90s.. Thanks

Yes. I'm unsure how frequently its offline, not very often I think. Otherwise cpc-power should have them.

EDIT:I found 5 programs on CPC-Power here.

Your Computer Programs

zeropolis79

robbarton

I've uploaded issues 65 and 69 to the wiki today. Sorry for the delay, I wanted to check them thoroughly as the scans for these issues aren't as clear as some of the other ones.

I noted on issue 65's wiki page that Space Hockey was a rip-off and have not included it for that reason. Similarly I'll not include Thro' the Wall or Bomber when the time comes as these are out of the manual.

I am not sure what to do about Snake in issue 68 - I could type it if anyone can see how to amend it to avoid accessing the files it says it needs from disc. Please let me know if you want to do this.

Only 15 to go!   :)

Nich

Quote from: robbarton on 16:40, 18 September 16
I am not sure what to do about Snake in issue 68 - I could type it if anyone can see how to amend it to avoid accessing the files it says it needs from disc. Please let me know if you want to do this.

The binary file that the Snake program loads contains the actual game, so it simply isn't possible to amend the program to avoid using it. :(

Johnny Olsen

Hi Robbarton

Here a little help to the type-ins project

AMSDOS

Quote from: robbarton on 16:40, 18 September 16

I noted on issue 65's wiki page that Space Hockey was a rip-off and have not included it for that reason. Similarly I'll not include Thro' the Wall or Bomber when the time comes as these are out of the manual.

There was also a program called Picstore program, which was out of something else (sorry I haven't got which issue it was on hand), which was really handy for taking 4 Screens and combine them all into one.

EDIT: Sorry I was just having a look at that AA65 page. That Graphics Display I program, was that the one I had on the forum that I converted for all computers? Might be better to revert to the originals for those pages, sorry. I had a look at the screenshot and it look a bit wonky, though I converted that program to Hisoft Pascal 4t, so probably got part of the translation wrong, though HP4t handles Decimals a little differently from BASIC and that graphics program had some decimal numbers in it.

QuoteI am not sure what to do about Snake in issue 68 - I could type it if anyone can see how to amend it to avoid accessing the files it says it needs from disc. Please let me know if you want to do this.

As @Nich mentions the game itself is loaded from Binary file - line 30. I guess the author was hoping it would go onto the AA Covertape, sadly that never happened. Other aspects of the BASIC code also deal with that Binary file, with line 890 calling the game, which will result in a crash since we don't have that fine, but other parts of the program maybe salvageable. The sound routine for example is using SQ and the routine at 470-510 is playing the data 520-600 for example, so if bits of the program can be used, that might be worthwhile extracting those bits and popping it into the Interesting Type-ins Thread.

Your Computer Programs

robbarton

Thanks for the above, I will amend the Graphics program to the printed version. I must have downloaded it either from the forum or Cpc Power. I'm on a roll at the moment and hope to be able to upload another two issues later this week (thanks to Johnny above!)

EDIT: I've uploaded a new DSK containing the original and modified versions and amended the wiki page to reflect this

AMSDOS

Quote from: robbarton on 13:35, 19 September 16
Thanks for the above, I will amend the Graphics program to the printed version. I must have downloaded it either from the forum or Cpc Power. I'm on a roll at the moment and hope to be able to upload another two issues later this week (thanks to Johnny above!)

EDIT: I've uploaded a new DSK containing the original and modified versions and amended the wiki page to reflect this

Yeah unfortunately while I typed in various programs from AA which use BASIC 1.1, along the way I reworked them to work in BASIC 1.0  :'(  The Graphics program was one of those that I had in the Interesting Type-ins thread, but I started off with some BASIC 1.1 stuff in the BASIC Programming Tips thread.
The Alto program (as you know) from AA64 was another one I translated. It now works in BASIC 1.0, though BASIC 1.1 seems to handle the program better, it had something to do with the use of KEY and/or KEY DEF, as a result on a 464 the notes sound clipped compared to BASIC 1.1. Running the 464 version with BASIC 1.1 presents none of those symptoms, which is why I'm saying it's handling the program better.

AA65 I think was the last Type-ins to carry the 6128 Only Warning because from AA66 onwards no 6128 Only warning was present for the Pyramids game.

Your Computer Programs

robbarton

Uploaded AA67, 68 and 70 to the wiki today.

By my reckoning 12 left to do - I have a good feeling about this!   :)

I think, depending how brave/bored I feel, I might take a little time for reflection once all the issues are uploaded, and contemplate going back and adding the Hot Tips/Problem Attic/ other small pieces of code dotted around the magazine.