News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad Action TYPE-IN PROJECT

Started by CPCIak, 09:56, 03 January 10

Previous topic - Next topic

dthrone

I'm sure they printed Bomber from the back of the CPC manual as a type-in one issue then issued some sort of warning/apology the next issue?  Can't remember the issue numbers but it would be mid-late era.  Now that was definitely copyright infringement  :P

AMSDOS

Quote from: dthrone on 10:43, 04 April 18
I'm sure they printed Bomber from the back of the CPC manual as a type-in one issue then issued some sort of warning/apology the next issue?  Can't remember the issue numbers but it would be mid-late era.  Now that was definitely copyright infringement  :P

There were lots of naughty type-ins around 1991, which began with the Bomber program in AA70, Thro' the Wall in AA71 was a Breakout game lifted from the Manual (which was out of an Early ACU), a similar program also appeared in a later AA Type-ins as well, and in the following AA72 Picstore appeared which was also out of an ACU. Prior to '91, I can only recall a Space Hockey game being published in AA65. The funny thing about that was AA originally published it in AA42. I don't think it happened any earlier than that.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

AMSDOS

While I've been playing around with the AA57 Type-ins, I found an unusual use for the Bigprint Routine. It's possible when using the command to have the Transparent Mode on, so redefining and multicoloured characters can be used, my example is using a 8x4 redefined graphic, though had it been 8x8, the Bigprint routine could add additional colours to the graphic, allowing the use of contrasting colours - from Yellow to Dark Yellow or the Greens or Blues.

My little example is just an example of a 2 Colour Space Ship stuck in the Middle of the Screen with Left/Right Cursor Keys to move it, because of the size of the ship (being 16x8), moving it across the screen is very quick.  :)

100 SYMBOL 255,8,20,34,65,0,0,0,0:SYMBOL 254,0,8,28,62,0,0,0,0:MODE 0:INK 0,11:INK 1,26:INK 2,9:BORDER 0:ton$=CHR$(22)+CHR$(1):toff$=CHR$(22)+CHR$(0):a$=CHR$(255):b$=CHR$(254):c$=CHR$(32):x=10:y=10:PRINT ton$;
110 GOSUB 190
120 WHILE INKEY(18)<>0
130   IF INKEY(8)=0 THEN IF x>1 THEN GOSUB 180:|BIGPRINT,x,y,@c$,1,1:x=x-1:GOSUB 170:GOSUB 190
140   IF INKEY(1)=0 THEN IF x<19 THEN GOSUB 180:|BIGPRINT,x,y,@c$,1,1:x=x+1:GOSUB 170:GOSUB 190
150 WEND
160 MODE 2:END
170 PRINT ton$;:RETURN
180 PRINT toff$;:RETURN
190 |BIGPRINT,x,y,@a$,1,1:|BIGPRINT,x,y@b$,2,2:RETURN

Your Computer Programs

scruss

There were lots of "lifts" between magazines, sometimes direct, sometimes with variations. Amstrad Action July 1992 has a very close variant (adds a high score table) of Star Dodger, written for ACU September 1988. Star Dodger is itself a clone of Asterisk Tracker, a BBC BASIC one-liner published in BEEBUG magazine in December 1984.
Type-ins and articles for ACU were published on an "all rights" basis: you transferred all rights (except for moral right, which includes the right to be recognized as the author) internationally forever in exchange for payment. I'm pretty sure that Future Publishing had the same terms, though I have more memories of sending the rights slips back to Adlington every month so I could get paid.

AMSDOS

Quote from: scruss on 15:06, 05 September 18
There were lots of "lifts" between magazines, sometimes direct, sometimes with variations. Amstrad Action July 1992 has a very close variant (adds a high score table) of Star Dodger, written for ACU September 1988. Star Dodger is itself a clone of Asterisk Tracker, a BBC BASIC one-liner published in BEEBUG magazine in December 1984.

I remember typing in that Star Dodger from AA back in the day and having a lot of fun with it, without really knowing about the original game from ACU, though I always wondered why it had v2. Apart from the Hi-score Table which is a nice addition to the game, I think the only other difference is the Asterisks are now Green.

I'd like to try that BBC BASIC one-liner though, just to see how it goes with BBC BASIC for the CPC.

QuoteType-ins and articles for ACU were published on an "all rights" basis: you transferred all rights (except for moral right, which includes the right to be recognized as the author) internationally forever in exchange for payment. I'm pretty sure that Future Publishing had the same terms, though I have more memories of sending the rights slips back to Adlington every month so I could get paid.

The Star Dodger game created a situation where coders were adapting other peoples programmes, I'm unsure if anyone pulled up on that programme either, though it pretty much created a series of circumstances where people modify existing programmes and sent them to AA. Another controversial game being Parrot from AA102 Type-ins which came out of an early book (Sensational Games for the Amstrad CPC464), however the game AA published, had been modified to run in MODE 1, which on inspection with the original game took quite a bit of modifying in the code. I guess if the author had changed the Graphics to something else and retitled the game, it may had never of been suspected of being lifted.  :D

Your Computer Programs

scruss

Quote from: AMSDOS on 23:53, 06 September 18
The Star Dodger game created a situation where coders were adapting other peoples programmes, I'm unsure if anyone pulled up on that programme either ...
AA published an "Oops" the next issue after some people (but not me, who wrote the thing) complained.
QuoteI'd like to try that BBC BASIC one-liner though, just to see how it goes with BBC BASIC for the CPC.
It sort of works, but the colour detection doesn't work as expected so the game doesn't offer any useful interaction. If you want to try it, it's easiest to dump the source one-liner to a text file (don't forget the ^Z EOF marker), transfer it to a DSK image then *EXEC the text file from BBC BASIC. That gets the very long line in with no buffer overflow problems.

AMSDOS

Quote from: scruss on 00:13, 08 September 18
AA published an "Oops" the next issue after some people (but not me, who wrote the thing) complained.

Yeah, seemed to be more about the error AA made in republishing the same Type-ins twice.  :D

QuoteIt sort of works, but the colour detection doesn't work as expected so the game doesn't offer any useful interaction. If you want to try it, it's easiest to dump the source one-liner to a text file (don't forget the ^Z EOF marker), transfer it to a DSK image then *EXEC the text file from BBC BASIC. That gets the very long line in with no buffer overflow problems.

Was just about to post another program in the BBC BASIC thread which falls along the same lines.  :)

Your Computer Programs

Zoe Robinson

Damn, I always liked Star Dodger. It was the best of the lot in that "Christmas Crackers" type-in booklet AA put on the cover one Christmas. I never realised back then that it was nicked. :(

scruss

There's another "Star Dodger" - unrelated - that AA published shortly before my Star Dodger appeared in ACU.
Mine was originally called 2D Star Dodge (after 3D Star Strike) but for $reasons->{'unknown'} Simon and Jeff didn't like the name and asked if I could change it to Star Dodger. I thought that 2D Star Dodge was lost forever, but I was amazed to find it on a French cracking group site. I must've shared it with penpal in Le Havre (we exchanged a tape roughly twice a year: man, there were some weird CPC stuff coming out of France back then) and he must've passed it on to someone who kept it.

AMSDOS

Quote from: scruss on 02:08, 15 September 18
There's another "Star Dodger" - unrelated - that AA published shortly before my Star Dodger appeared in ACU.

The funniest thing about that one, is a very similar One Liner was published in the May 1986 issue of ACU. I found the one in AA21 (June '87), though as ACU had another similar programme with those short programmes, it seems likely people would come up with similar solutions for those short programs.  :D

Your Computer Programs

ComSoft6128

Convergent evolution in the programming world :D

zeropolis79

I seem to recall seeing AA and ACU print readers amendments to type-in programs (like a Printer option for a database and keyboard controls for SMART 2 (even though that was a covertape))

AMSDOS

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 22:02, 23 October 18
I seem to recall seeing AA and ACU print readers amendments to type-in programs (like a Printer option for a database and keyboard controls for SMART 2 (even though that was a covertape))

The Accounts program from AA56 Type-ins was like this and a reader amended the program to include a Print Option, which got published in the AA58 Forum.
I checked to see which version was included on the Wiki and discovered the program is BASIC 1.1 only too, with the program making use of DERR, which is a BASIC 1.1 Function for returning Disk Errors. However, the program which is on  the Wiki doesn't include the additional Print Option.

I'm so glad AA didn't include a copy of SMART 2 on every Covertape, as I recall the original program (Smart) was originally published in Type-ins before I started collecting AA, every so often some amendments/alterations were made to the program, though it was when it was making a return to the Covertape, my Newsagent failed to stock that issue, as if some mysterious force is prohibiting me from using that program?  :-\

Your Computer Programs

AMSDOS

AA17 Type-ins page has been updated on the Wiki after I noticed a Typo I made in the Landscape Graphic which didn't update the INKs, which resulted in some patterns using alternating colours.  ???

Your Computer Programs

Fessor

Have you tried this? It installs the commands of Basic 1.1 on the 464.
http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=4403

AMSDOS

Quote from: Fessor on 10:18, 20 January 19
Have you tried this? It installs the commands of Basic 1.1 on the 464.
http://www.cpc-power.com/index.php?page=detail&num=4403

That's quite an impressive one, though it's always going to be tough reproducing DERR, it doesn't seem to be part of the package.

Your Computer Programs

AMSDOS

I made an update on the AA51 Type-ins file after noticing a DATA error typo in the EVAL routine. A corrected programme was available on CPC-Power and have used that to update the DSK file here. I've also included some additional instructions on the page to show how what the Command does. To be honest though, it's more of a curio that only works on 464, I don't think 664/6128 users at the time weren't missing much.

Your Computer Programs

AMSDOS

I've updated the DSK from AA58 Type-Ins after noticing an alternative version of Bounce (compatible on 464) was being used, instead of the BASIC 1.1 version which was published in the Magazine.
There was a letter published in AA60 Forum (attached below), which nearly has the whole game covered except for Line 630 which has 2 GRAPHICS PEN commands and Line 830 has a CLEAR INPUT in it. The only trouble is PEN only changes the Text Cursor PEN (not GRAPHICS) and yes I wondered if it were possible to use PEN in Text Mode, switch to Graphical Mode with TAG and PRINT the character with that PEN colour, the answer is No. :D 
I don't know if it would be worthwhile playing around with this game (coding wise), one of the annoying things about this game is it's set difficulty. The Author claims to have achieved a Hi-score of 31 and in the Game itself a Number of "Red Mines" is set as a Variable in Line 410 (nd) which has been set to 10 on line 135 and it doesn't change, so it might have been a better game if that value slowly increased with each screen.

Your Computer Programs

AMSDOS

I've updated Richard Shephard's "Warzone", which was published in AA68 Type-Ins, so it works on all CPCs.

This game presented some interesting problems:

* When the cannons fall from the sky and hit the ground COPYCHR$(#0) was being used to detect where the ground was. The game plays in MODE 2 with 1 pixel accuracy to draw the landscape. I replaced it with a TEST within a FOR Loop to check the 8 pixel horizontal area beneath the falling cannon, if landscape is found, done = TRUE. Carrying out the operation like that, the process is slower than COPYCHR$(#0) because TEST has to carry out 8 checks, to COPYCHR$(#0) one, however the original game was slowing the process between drawing and deleting the Cannon, I moved the code around a little bit to improve the drawing sequence, which makes it look more like the original.

* When the cannons fire, and reach the other cannon, COPYCHR$(#0) is used to determine if a cannon is found. From what I could work out an array is used to store the positions of the cannons in 'frig(num)' for xpos position and 'pp(num)' for ypos. I was able to work out the firing was stored in 'x(num)' and 'y(num)', though is stored using Graphical coordinates, which meant I had to convert into a Text Coordinate position. I had no problems working out the x-coorindate forumula, though just the opposite for the y-coorinate formula. Being a MODE 2 game, the cursor is 8 pixels wide, so it was simply a matter of dividing 8 from the 'x(num)' array and adding 1. The y-coordinate on the other hand is the same as the other screen modes, with each pixel line being multiplied by 2, so a graphical cursor is 16 pixel lines in graphical height (if that makes sense), though I had trouble transposing the formula from my graphical formula, until I realised I needed to divide the graphical value by 16, I then realised I could figure it out by '<height of screen>-(<graphical value>\16)' with the <height of screen> being 25 characters and carrying out an Integer Divide I would get the y-coordinate between 1 and 25 from a Graphical coordinate.

These were the alterations I made to the game:

20 PLOT -2,-2,3:TAG:MOVE 8,14:PRINT"*WARZONE*";:TAGOFF
890 done=0:GOSUB 945
920 done=0:GOSUB 945
945 LOCATE e,1:PRINT CHR$(233)
950 FOR i=2 TO 25
951 LOCATE e,i-1:PRINT " "
952 LOCATE e,i:PRINT CHR$(233)
955 FOR mt=0 TO 7
960 IF TEST((e-1)*8+mt,398-(i*16))=1 THEN done=1
970 NEXT mt
980 IF done=1 THEN 1020
990 FOR ss=1 TO 42:NEXT
1410 MOVER -2,2:DRAWR 4,0,0:DRAWR 0,-2:DRAWR -4,0:DRAWR 0,-2:DRAWR 4,0:DRAWR 0,-2:DRAWR -4,0
1450 IF x(zz)\8+1=frig(i) THEN IF 25-(y(zz)\16)=pp(i) THEN dead(i)=1:dead=1
1650 WHILE INKEY$<>"":WEND

Since making those changes and having it working for 464 and 6128, I went back to the 6128 version and tried it on the 664, though the game Crashes (Reset back to BASIC), the problem there relates to the CALL &BC06,&40 and CALL &BC06,&C0 which this game uses to restore the Title screen, though this seems to be unacceptable on the 664, though works without problems on 464 and 6128.

So not working for all CPCs!  ???

Your Computer Programs