News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad Action TYPE-IN PROJECT

Started by CPCIak, 09:56, 03 January 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoe Robinson

Quick question for you guys. I'm typing in "Watch" from AA73 and I have no idea what line 110 says. Can you help?

TFM

|TSET
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

It's one of those listings that actually have checksums. You can use the checksum generator (anyone has a link)? To see which variation produces the correct code...

Nich

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 18:02, 25 October 13
Quick question for you guys. I'm typing in "Watch" from AA73 and I have no idea what line 110 says. Can you help?
The RSX should read |TSET, but lines 110 and 120 have been mangled. A correction was published in AA75. Lines 110 and 120 should read:

110 PRINT "|TSET,{h},{m},{s} - Set the time."
120 PRINT "|ASET,{h},{m},{s} - Set the alarm."

Clearly AA's typesetting didn't like the use of curly brackets!

Zoe Robinson

Zoe Robinson

Zoe Robinson

AA108 - the last issue with the type-ins section - is now also online. This takes us to 29% completion. :)

AMSDOS

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 15:40, 26 October 13
The type-ins from AA73 are now available. This takes us to 26% completion. :)

Hmmm, that's interesting that a 6128 needs to be in TAPE mode for Watch to run.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: AMSDOS on 22:03, 26 October 13
Hmmm, that's interesting that a 6128 needs to be in TAPE mode for Watch to run.

Yup. Weird. What's more, I don't see why it's necessary.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 23:27, 26 October 13

Yup. Weird. What's more, I don't see why it's necessary.

I'd have to disassemble the Machine Code to see what it's doing though I cannot guarantee I'd find something to explain it, I'm guessing at the moment it's using some firmware CAS instruction for some reason. How did you find out the program needed to be in Tape mode?
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: AMSDOS on 10:08, 27 October 13
I'd have to disassemble the Machine Code to see what it's doing though I cannot guarantee I'd find something to explain it, I'm guessing at the moment it's using some firmware CAS instruction for some reason. How did you find out the program needed to be in Tape mode?

The explanatory text in the issue said it needed to be.

redbox

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 10:26, 27 October 13
The explanatory text in the issue said it needed to be.

The program starts at &BE58 and CALL to execute it is at &BF3D.

This over-rides parts of memory on a 6128 that deal with AMSDOS (the disc operating system).  The disc motor flag is at &BE5F and the area at &BE7F is used by AMSDOS to copy routines into RAM for running.

This would explain the strange behaviour you're experiencing and why AMSDOS needs to be turned off for it to run.  I expect the program was written by the author on a 464 and not tested on a 6128 before submitting it.

Zoe Robinson

That would explain a lot. Thank you. :)

Zoe Robinson

I've started porting the cassette files for AA covertapes to disk files, so type-ins should speed up for a while since most of them from AA80 onwards went onto the cover tapes. :)

The type-ins for AA78 are now online.

redbox

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 13:19, 27 October 13
The type-ins for AA78 are now online.

It's quite weird seeing the screenshots and remembering the programs having typed them over 20 years ago  :)

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: redbox on 13:35, 27 October 13
It's quite weird seeing the screenshots and remembering the programs having typed them over 20 years ago  :)

I know the feeling. That last set, from AA78, really beat me with the nostalgia stick.

Gryzor

What on earth does the Oscilloscope do? :D

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:28, 27 October 13
What on earth does the Oscilloscope do? :D

It displays the (sine?) wave of any sound files played through the tape deck, including software.

Zoe Robinson

Nich Campbell has uploaded the type-ins from the "Christmas Crackers" booklet that came with AA76, and also scans of the booklet itself.

Ah, the nostalgia. I lost hours playing Magazine Editor and must have lost days playing (and modding) Star Dodger. :)

Also, Nich, you're one of the Durge lot? Small world. I lurked in that group from '99-2000, started posting in 2001. Fun times. Do you venture into the IRC channel much?

Nich

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 18:25, 27 October 13
Also, Nich, you're one of the Durge lot? Small world. I lurked in that group from '99-2000, started posting in 2001. Fun times. Do you venture into the IRC channel much?
Yes, I am a durger, but I have never used the IRC channel (or any form of IRC). I'll send you an e-mail.

Zoe Robinson

The type-ins for issue 79 are now online. :)

redbox

Quote from: Zoe Robinson on 18:21, 27 October 13
It displays the (sine?) wave of any sound files played through the tape deck, including software.

That's cool, I was thinking about writing something like this to incorporate into a music playback routine and now thanks to a type-in there's the framework for one :)

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: redbox on 19:19, 27 October 13
That's cool, I was thinking about writing something like this to incorporate into a music playback routine and now thanks to a type-in there's the framework for one :)

That's what I love about type-ins. They're a huge repository for things you want to do yourself but haven't gotten around to yet (and now don't have to). :)

Zoe Robinson

Gryzor

I had typed in some of the programs supposedly reacting to audio from tape, but they never worked... I was convinced it's really just impossible and the idea was a dead one.