News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC Firmware guide

Started by LFS, 17:09, 18 June 10

Previous topic - Next topic

LFS

I have the Amstrad CPC Firmware guide written by Bob Taylor and Thomas Defoe in 1992. David Cantrell made an electronic version in 1994 and an HTML version in 1996/97. It was transferred to Acrobat PDF format by John Kavanagh in 2002 and send out with the online magazine CPC Oxygen same year.

But is this file / material protected by copyright, seems strange thats this well known guide is not on this WiKi.

Can i upload it?

Brgds

LFS

Devilmarkus

Hi LFS,
the thing with the copyright explains it normally.
You have the files, but you normally need to ask the copyright owners for permission to upload them.
So, at least, ask Thomas Defoe, the author, if you are permitted to upload it for public usage.

BTW.: welcome in our forum.

Cheers,
Markus
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Ygdrazil

Just do it!!!  :)

/Ygdrazil

PS. Are you the LFS I remember from "back then"?

Quote from: LFS on 17:09, 18 June 10
I have the Amstrad CPC Firmware guide written by Bob Taylor and Thomas Defoe in 1992. David Cantrell made an electronic version in 1994 and an HTML version in 1996/97. It was transferred to Acrobat PDF format by John Kavanagh in 2002 and send out with the online magazine CPC Oxygen same year.

But is this file / material protected by copyright, seems strange thats this well known guide is not on this WiKi.

Can i upload it?

Brgds

LFS

LFS

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 17:42, 18 June 10
Hi LFS,
the thing with the copyright explains it normally.
You have the files, but you normally need to ask the copyright owners for permission to upload them.
So, at least, ask Thomas Defoe, the author, if you are permitted to upload it for public usage.

BTW.: welcome in our forum.

Cheers,
Markus

Hi Markus,

Thanks for your swift respose. I will try to locate TD, if possible, and go from there.

Brgds

LFS

LFS

Quote from: Ygdrazil on 18:25, 18 June 10
Just do it!!!  :)

/Ygdrazil

PS. Are you the LFS I remember from "back then"?

Hi Ygdrazil,

I will try to get hold of TD and let see whats happens.

I have used "LFS" back in the Amstrad start up days, here in Denmark and i have run Amstrad.dk for several years (2000-2005) but not any more. So do you remember Amstrad.dk or before?

Brgds

LFS

nocash

The .txt and .pdf versions are on cpcwiki, enter "Bob Taylor" in search box to see where.
That are the same files you were talking about, aren't they?

But I guess there should be some more links to that files, to make it easier to find them. Like in the http://cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Books section - provided that the doc WAS released as book, was it? 1992 sounds a bit late for releasing CPC books. On the other hand, the intro says something about scanned, so it seems to come from a paper media.

LFS

Quote from: nocash on 18:51, 18 June 10
The .txt and .pdf versions are on cpcwiki, enter "Bob Taylor" in search box to see where.
That are the same files you were talking about, aren't they?

But I guess there should be some more links to that files, to make it easier to find them. Like in the http://cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Books section - provided that the doc WAS released as book, was it? 1992 sounds a bit late for releasing CPC books. On the other hand, the intro says something about scanned, so it seems to come from a paper media.

Hi Nocash,

It is not the SOFT158/159 but a simpler book (published) but still have all the relevant firmware information and variables. So that's why we talk 1992 and not 1984.

By using the search phrase you listed i found a lot of information that's not "easy" to find so there is defiantly a job in linking or using more references in the general text/Wiki.

Brgds

LFS

Devilmarkus

When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

nocash

> It is ... simpler book (published)
Okay, then it can be filed under books. And maybe under http://cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Technical_documentation

> By using the search phrase you listed i found a lot of information that's not "easy" to find
On the http://cpcwiki.eu/index.php/KevArchive page? It's mainly a todo list, not intended to be useful for anything else. Normally there should be other links to files on that page (must have forgotten to add one in case of the Bob Taylor doc).

Btw. when you upload jpg's or pdf's or other files, just noticed that you linked to it as
  [http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/0/0c/CPC664.PDF CPC 664 User Manual]
that's too difficult, http is only for stuff outside cpcwiki, inside cpcwiki better use:
  [[File:CPC664.PDF|CPC 664 User Manual]]
where, the "File:" will draw on ugly pdf-thumbnail, so even better replace it by "Media:"
  [[Media:CPC664.PDF|CPC 664 User Manual]]
why that? I think has some advantages, may be somewhat more stable, and as far as I remember, the search engine sees only File and Media links...

Cu, Martin

Ygdrazil

Hi LFS

Greetings to you mate  ;D !

It's very nice to see a fellow Danish CPC user from "back then" here i the year AD 2010!
I remember some cool stuff you did back then. You served as a great inspiration in the everlasting struggle against the breadbin supremacy in those days!  :D

/Ygdrazil

PS. What happend to www.amstrad.dk?

Quote from: LFS on 20:58, 17 January 74

Hi Ygdrazil

I will try to get hold of TD and let see whats happens.

I have used "LFS" back in the Amstrad start up days, here in Denmark and i have run Amstrad.dk for several years (2000-2005) but not any more. So do you remember Amstrad.dk or before?

Brgds

LFS

LFS

Quote from: Ygdrazil on 00:59, 19 June 10
Hi LFS

Greetings to you mate  ;D !

It's very nice to see a fellow Danish CPC user from "back then" here i the year AD 2010!
I remember some cool stuff you did back then. You served as a great inspiration in the everlasting struggle against the breadbin supremacy in those days!  :D

/Ygdrazil

PS. What happend to www.amstrad.dk?

Hi Ygdrazil,

Yes it was a fun time back then, playable games and easy to make things happen. Now it's all so complicated and not so easy.

Amstrad.dk was closed down because of time, but i still have the domain and all the material that where on the server. I will, over time, upload relevant material, files and pictures.

Brgds

LFS

nocash

Hi LFS, just wondering did you mean you have the original from 1992 on paper, or the txt/pdf from 1994 and later? The original is still missing, scanned version would be interesting.
Btw. just fixed the http --> media thing. And added a link to the printer service manual on the DMP2160 page, which was (and still is) nearly empty :-/ more to do for somebody someday :-)

LFS

Quote from: nocash on 21:46, 19 June 10
Hi LFS, just wondering did you mean you have the original from 1992 on paper, or the txt/pdf from 1994 and later? The original is still missing, scanned version would be interesting.
Btw. just fixed the http --> media thing. And added a link to the printer service manual on the DMP2160 page, which was (and still is) nearly empty :-/ more to do for somebody someday :-)

Hi Nocash,

I have the corrected scan --> PDF --> OCR version of this publication. But i still wait for the response from the author.

Brgds

LFS

Gryzor

Hello mate,

And welcome to our site! I have perused amstrad.dk only too often in the past, so it's great to see you here :)

As far as copyrights go, my general view is that we don't have many issues in the Amstrad scene. The only case that comes to mind is that crazy Beau Jolly C&D letter that Malc got over at the Zone, which was good for some (many) good laughs but nothing more.

I really think noone in their right mind would object the publication of such material, so my approach with the wiki is, let's put stuff online - if someone objects then by all means take it down. But it's hard to imagine such a situation.

As far as links go, yes, it's somewhat of an issue, cross-referencing and creating links to make all the info accessible... The wiki has outgrew itself! That's why the search function is so indispensable :)

Once again, welcome!