News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

BIG UPGRADE TO FORUM!!!

Started by Gryzor, 14:18, 22 February 22

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Yeah, before exclaiming "the fuck he's talking about, it looks the same", this is just an announcement. The next big version has been released, with tons of nice things like:

• A new WYSIWYG editor, SCEditor
  • Real-time alerts in addition to email notifications
  • A new default theme with full support for mobile devices
  • Draft messages (you can save & resume later)
  • Mentions using @name syntax
  • Drag & drop attachments
  • Attachments can be embedded directly into post text
  • Really the change log is a mile long given that this version has been in the making presumably since it was still a BBS thing, so we'll find out together, but these are what they chose to put above anything else.

Going to prepare for the upgrade, then perform it tomorrow. Since it touches a lot of things and system files:

-some functionality based on mods/hacks will be lost
    -the forum may go down for an unspecified amount of time, depending on how the server feels about it.

In that event, please follow updates on https://twitter.com/krakout .

Cheers
    T

Ok, so after the upgrade here's some things:

+buddy/ignore lists enabled (some have asked for it)
+Likes enabled. This does not carry over the older Likes stats, sorry about that.
+Mentions enabled
+Participation icons next to the topics a user has posted in
+Print topic feature
+Mouse over a post's title in the lists shows a preview of the last post (could be first post always, if we prefer)
+Post and PMs drafts!!! These will be kept for 7 days before being purged.
+(I know you will like this) automatic saving of drafts every 30 seconds!
*email and alert notifications have been turned on for topics and replies, in threads and followed boards; also for quotes and mentions. I don't remember how this was set before, unfortunately if anyone had disabled it it will be re-enabled now. It was necessary though...

To be fixed:
-Pretty urls

Bryce

Mentions using @name syntax: Didn't we already have that, or have I been doing it just for fun up to now?
Will we be getting the proper likes system back?

Bryce.

Gryzor

We did have mentions, but it was a mod. Same goes for Likes, but Likes is going to be a core feature now :) Unfortunately the previous tally will be lost.

Gryzor

So... I just did it. I was holding my breath for a full 15 minutes so I'm understandably reddish right now, but it looks like the prep we did yesterday help to avoid an immediate meltdown.

Let the testing begin, shall we, @Bryce ?

Ah mentions don't seem to work, taking note...

Gryzor

Testing mentions, @Bryce -cool, it works!

ComSoft6128

Gryzor

Yeah, especially on mobile!!

pelrun

There's a distinct piratical flavour to the forum now, for some reason... arrrrr.

Gryzor

What, ye dern't like it, pass the grog! I did that by mistake and will revert t' plain English. Ahoy, avast! However, Buccaneers will be able t' choose Pirate as their preferred language!

pelrun

Would also be nice to have a theme which doesn't put the whole forum into a tiny column in the middle of my large 4k monitor, once you've put out the inevitable fires elsewhere. "Full mobile support" always seems to mean punching the desktop theme in the balls :(

Gryzor

I have an ultrawide monitor here and there is a lot of wasted space so if I find where the code specifies it I will set it to relative. However, I don't really think that setting the main container width to, say, 90% would look good on very wide resolutions, with the entire post in one line? :D

angelcaio

Good Work!! ...and nice look

Gryzor

pelrun

Seems perfectly fine to me, when I use the Inspector to disable the guilty css rule. If I was unable to handle a wide line of text I wouldn't be using this monitor in the first place :laugh:

pelrun

And here's hoping the editor bugs with microscopic text are a thing of the past!

Gryzor

Quote from: pelrun on 11:08, 23 February 22Seems perfectly fine to me, when I use the Inspector to disable the guilty css rule. If I was unable to handle a wide line of text I wouldn't be using this monitor in the first place :laugh:
The Best Ultrawide Monitors for 2022 | PCMag

Yes, this is a very practical way to read text indeed :D

Gryzor

Quote from: pelrun on 11:09, 23 February 22And here's hoping the editor bugs with microscopic text are a thing of the past!
We'll see, try editing your message and applying formatting to some of it, or try pasting formatted text from elsewhere.

Oh and did I mention that you can paste images in your posts? :D

TotO

CPC-Wiki 2022 is great! 8)

It looks to fix the message editor, that is the main feature for me.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

Quote from: TotO on 11:55, 23 February 22CPC-Wiki 2022 is great! 8)

It looks to fix the message editor, that is the main feature for me.
Haha thanks, and thanks for the confirmation!!

Btw, since all (ALL) previous modifications, manual or otherwise, have been lost, please let me know if you miss any functionality!

TotO

I suggest that CPC-Wiki logo point to the cpc wiki, as you have a nice Home button. :)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

I could do it, but there's points for both arguments... Users of course tend to click on the logo in order to go back 'home', but 'home' here is the forum's main page, not the wiki. Then again a link to the wiki *is* missing...

TotO

The Home button go to the forum home page. That is the usage, and it is very visible.
The CPC-Wiki logo should have to allow many peoples to discover the Wiki content.

Gryzor

I'm more concerned with how to hide that blank space up there, or at least minimize it :D

TotO

A big banner including the logo and the text... ;D

Animalgril987

Hi @Gryzor .
Any way to select between receiving emails OR alerts, rather than both?
No biggie if not.  :D