News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Censoring bad words?

Started by Gryzor, 08:17, 14 April 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we censor bad words in the Forum?

Please, mommy, don't let them hurt me, remove those bad words!
No, you f*****g f****rs, give me back my f****g swearing you f**k!
Societies can be self-regulated, and this kind of censoring is hypocritical anyway, so no.
Swearing can be insulting for people from different cultural backgrounds, so a clean environment is preferred.

redbox

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 13:07, 16 April 10
I just removed all censored words.
But please remember: We all should keep our culture alive!

Eh?  From where I'm sitting, "Societies can be self-regulated, and this kind of censoring is hypocritical anyway, so no." got 73.3% of the vote...

Gryzor

Quote from: redbox on 12:41, 19 April 10
Eh?  From where I'm sitting, "Societies can be self-regulated, and this kind of censoring is hypocritical anyway, so no." got 73.3% of the vote...

...which is a vote against censoring indeed.

Cholo

I must admit ive always had the pleasure of a usually mature and informative read in this forum. The 464 is 25 years old now and it kinda says it all too. Even tho a single teen may have entered the forum, then the majority of us has passed the 30 years of age and so having naturelly matured.

Back in the day i cant recall much swearing except the S and F words. But what could you do when every american action movie/series from the time you would find the hero screaming those 2 words again and again while shooting some bad guys. No wonder those words is used by everyone today in common langauge (and has lost all meaning).

Also we are no longer the children at elementary school fighting childishly to prove that one 8 bit machine is better than another. So calling the c64 as breadbin64 or similar today, is just silly banter, that may raise a mild chuckle at most.

Sure we all curse and some more than others. Actually a bit impressive that we dont curse more. Especially if you think of the groups of people together (Programmers, gfx-artists, sound composers, ex-crackers, players) .. you would think all hell would break loose.

Being an english/german forum, but having a group of multi language people post can easily go wrong if people dont have a open eye for translation and dont take anything too seriously.

Only once have i noticed a thread that had strong emotions and i wish i had noticed earlier, so i could have insisted that the thread be locked and deleted (or moved). Other forums usually has a policy against talking about politics and similar "strong emotion" topics. Anger just brings more anger, and everyone ends up being hurt.

Ive tried sending a harmless work-related email to a collegue once and she didnt speak to me for a week, and i still dont know how i offended her. My point here is to always look positivly at what other people write. Humor, sarcasm and similar is really hard to interprit from a written text so dont "over-interprit" a raw text and if you are confused then always ask the source what is going on, before jumping to conclusions.

Anyways, i think everyone has been really nice and "harmless" at cursing in here (if you want REAL cursing then you should hear the kids in school today).

Leonie

Quote from: Cholo on 15:05, 19 April 10
Also we are no longer the children at elementary school fighting childishly to prove that one 8 bit machine is better than another.
So calling the C64 as breadbin64 or similar today, is just silly banter, that may raise a mild chuckle at most.

HANG THE C64
LET CPC RULE

MacDeath

QuoteAlso we are no longer the children at elementary school fighting   childishly to prove that one 8 bit machine is better than another.
Of course.

Now we are 30-40 years- old retarded adult Geeks  fighting   childishly to prove that one 8 bit machine is better than another. :-\

Devilmarkus

Quote from: MacDeath on 18:05, 19 April 10
Of course.

Now we are 30-40 years- old retarded adult Geeks  fighting   childishly to prove that one 8 bit machine is better than another. :-\

Almost. I found out that the CPC-Scene really is splitted into different parts.
- One side is the "Elite" - They make the BEST pixels, the AWESOMEST music and the GREATEST demos
- Other side is the "normal user" who try to make funny things, but "Elite" says "NO"

It's a kind of "impertinent" in my opinion and very sad to see.

Btw.: the "Elite" is the reason why I abandoned "Elvira"...
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

Gryzor

Also we are no longer the children at elementary school fighting childishly to prove that one 8 bit machine is better than another. So calling the c64 as breadbin64 or similar today, is just silly banter, that may raise a mild chuckle at most.

But that was it, and nothing more. Just a silly joke, and I really can't see why we would be discussing it :D

Only once have i noticed a thread that had strong emotions and i wish i had noticed earlier, so i could have insisted that the thread be locked and deleted (or moved). Other forums usually has a policy against talking about politics and similar "strong emotion" topics. Anger just brings more anger, and everyone ends up being hurt.

Can you find that thread?

In my mind, a thread has to go reeally far in order to be locked... I do believe we can work things out, since we're a rather homogeneous community.

robcfg

Quotetw.: the "Elite" is the reason why I abandoned "Elvira"...

What?? Oh, for F**K's sake!

I was really expecting to play it. If I say please a huge number of times, would you consider finishing it?

10 MODE 1
20 PRINT"PLEASE, ";
30 GOTO 20

Done, copy the code, paste it in JavaCPC and run it  :laugh:

Gryzor

This is off topic and an interesting subject deserving a thread by itself, but I'd dare say: who cares about the 'elite', whoever that may be?

Cholo

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:30, 20 April 10
Can you find that thread?

In my mind, a thread has to go reeally far in order to be locked... I do believe we can work things out, since we're a rather homogeneous community.
This one:
http://cpcwiki.eu/forum/index.php/topic,619.0.html

Should have been locked INSTANTLY when post 3 appeared. I agree about a open community and i have a very open mind, but a post like that would mean lock and deletion in ANY other forum ive ever been to.

Note: i dont know the whole situation in that thread and so i cant and wont judge anyone, but i realise that any post in there (being good or bad) will just put more fuel on the fire. Once a thread has gone bad it cant be save .. unless deleted or locked/moved.

Gryzor

To begin with, I really don't care what other fora are doing, because many times (not to say "most" of the times) locks leave very bad sentiments and, also, usually reflect the admin/mod's personal opinions. So I try to abstain for that... But this is just a generality, not necessarily pertaining to the issue at hand.

Redbox used some strong language indeed. I didn't like it, nor would I express myself this way, however his post did reflect a more general status of pent-up emotions, and that's why I let it pass. Also, I gelt that the thread could lead to a conclusion, in the theatrical meaning of the word, given how long it's been in the air. And, in the end, the thread was selfregulated in the end...

So, a couple of insults were exchanged, and they did raise a chuckle or two, is it really so dramatic?

redbox

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:47, 21 April 10
So, a couple of insults were exchanged, and they did raise a chuckle or two, is it really so dramatic?

Couldn't have put it better myself.  :)

TFM

Well, I can remember a time (... Gryzor are you reading ;-)) when every single word (of mine) was put on the gold balance. And we had long discussions about "Listen to me boy..." - which is still quite nice - and other things...

So my comment here is just one: TREAT EVERYBODY EQUAL!!! And that's all that matters IMHO.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Cholo

I understand your reasons for keeping the thread running and it also says a lot of how open minded the forum is.

About locking or not in general: I must admit ive made a post myself in another forum that ended up getting deleted and locked. And i totally knew why it was lock as i was way across the line. So dont be afraid of moderating posts/threads because .. sure people may get offended, but surely they know also why it happens.

Just saying again im happy with how openminded the users of the forum is.

Gryzor

@TFM: well, the difference is, this was a long-standing issue that affected the function and content of the forum AND the wiki. So a stop had to be put. I didn't say this is a free-range park and everyone (including myself) can do as they please... just that we are tolerant.

@cholo: The problem is that even in fora I've seen where minds were quite open, when the mods started censoring things for the correct reason it was very easy to go downhill. That's why I'm a bit wary of limitations and try to impose them only as a very, very last resort.

TFM

Who watches the Watchmen?
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

...the chicken or the egg?

I don't want to avoid this. This *is* an issue in online fora. Fora are not democracies - at least not in a functional, pure way. How would you implement that?

On the other hand, as I have said many times in the past, a forum belongs to its members, not to the maintainer. Without the members and their contributions, any community is doomed.

So, in the end, you end up with something like an enlightened monarchy/oligarchy that is accepted by the community's 'citizens'.  This doesn't always work. But in our case, and judging from the few problems we've encountered up to now, we don't have any serious issues...

Or am I being wrong?

Devilmarkus

I think this:
Personal attacks have nothing to do in a forum.
Insults are also in the wrong place here.
So I think, postings with personal insults or similar should be deleted and closed.
The user, who writes such postings should get a warning.
We are all old enough to have culture.
When a Malc is attacked, it's ok?
But when a Gryzor would be attacked, I think this thread would be closed instantly and the user deleted...

Gryzor

Of course personal attacks have everything to do in a forum. Noone is above critique... what, only collective attacks work? Racism, anyone? :D

Insults can be a different thing, but still not altogether forbidden. It comes down to how you say what you say...

Malc has been attacked time and again, and it was never a problem. Certain words could have been avoided, but I covered that in a previous post.

As for the last line... you're serious? :D

arnoldemu

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:30, 23 April 10
As for the last line... you're serious? :D
Ban him!!!!! ;)
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

Before you go banning all the bad words, I'd just like to get this off my chest....

F@*K!!, S?!T!!, A%&E!!, B@!!* !!!!

Ok, I feel a lot better now.

Bryce.

The only person who's ever managed to get banned from "Groups.Tourettes.Syndrom.Forum"

Devilmarkus

Quote from: Bryce on 13:19, 23 April 10
Before you go banning all the bad words, I'd just like to get this off my chest....

F@*K!!, S?!T!!, A%&E!!, B@!!* !!!!

Ok, I feel a lot better now.

Bryce.

The only person who's ever managed to get banned from "Groups.Tourettes.Syndrom.Forum"

Tourette is FU**ING cool A**HOLE

arnoldemu

Quote from: Bryce on 13:19, 23 April 10

But you censored yourself?

I think really in a tourettes forum I want to read these words without censorship.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

That's the self-discipline !

TFM

Well, it's a funny thing to talk about this topic now. Because the forum is running quite relaxed and everybody has a lot of fun. Maybe the composition of the people just works (very diplomatic, hehe). But this may also be a golden key, if we have a kind of agreement or let's say a region where we all can live with, then I see a very positive future here.

And now I want to get banned and what ever I do, it fails!!! ;-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

EDIT: No future without FutureOS for me :-)
TFM of FutureSoft