News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

(Free) CPC-related advertising on the wiki?

Started by Gryzor, 08:43, 23 December 10

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we?

Yes
6 (60%)
No
3 (30%)
Ceci n'est pas un choix.
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Gryzor

Hope you do get some business :)

Hm, maybe we should do an ad scheme on the wiki? Unpaid of course, but - I don't know, a small rollover, or a corner of the screen, or a little banner? For other sites and services? Just thinking out loud here...

Phi2x

AMSDOS

Perhaps Wiki-leaks would be interersted in the going's on happenin' around 'ere?  :laugh:
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

No! I did NOT harass her, she started it, and I didn't know she was 16!!!

Ahem.

Well, if we did it, what form could it take? On the wiki itself, or in the forum too? Keep in mind that when choosing a method (if we do it) the method should support rotation...

AMSDOS

The other magic keyword for tonight (here) being "Free" - "Free" has now become a term which seems harmless and innocent, but there's a catch!!  ;)  On Facebook for example their term "Free" has cost people their lives and innocent people have to pay from the loss as well as the Funeral Bill!  ???

They usually are Sixteen!  ;)  Guess you'll know next time to grab their Drivers License, though it's probably been forged!

The French Option looks good, whatever that means!  :)  I'm more for the charables scheme, the Internet has become one vast commercial with movie players and graphical commercials unfolding themselves and slowing down your computer, Adobe Flashplayer is stupid and just occasionally you get these pop-ups poping up on websites even though you've got a blocker. Sadly my site joins the list, I may consider paying up if the price is reasonible and it'll remove a lot of that, though my feeling is it's $25 a month and depending on what you looking to exclude may depend on that value.

Your Computer Programs

Phi2x

AMSDOS

phi2x wrote:

Selecting websites by virtue of money doesn't sound really good  :(

It's horrible, cause I spend time maintaining my site (not much though), and making the programs for it (which varies depending on the program), and to be paying just to have commercial free site is somewhat intimidating. Yahoo were bruital though cause they closed down Geocities unless you payed and even after you paid you were still going to be up for what you had before for free!  >:(

Business seems to be on the uprise on the net, and even if a hobbyist has to pay, then there's something seriously wrong!  :(

Somebody told me (or I might have read it somewhere), that if you're looking for a website for the purpose of using it for a forum, then lots of websites want your business. Guess that's just well known knowledge though!  :)

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

Phi2x

Gryzor

Well, it's not like we'd have a free-for-all party with links to dozens of sites; just the most noteworthy ones. If these have normal ads on them, well, I don't see that as part of the equation... they're still part of the community, no? Should we also remove links to them?

I do understand what you say, but I think it's not that much of a problem... even CPC-Power only has one small advert, no?

Phi2x

Devilmarkus

Well...
How's about the Paypal code I once sent you? :D

(I know it's not free but supports the wiki, and donations are voluntary)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

redbox

Quote from: phi2x on 13:09, 24 December 10
I recognize that advertising on CPC-Power is decent. (I have a pretty good ad-blocker anyway ;D )
But everyone has different sensibilities when it comes to online advertising.

I didn't see the adverts on CPC Power either  ;)

steve

I am not sure what you are proposing, so I'll just say I do not like advertising, it degrades the site and the information on it, if you need money to support the site then that is one option. but if the advertising is free then I see no benefit in having it.
If you are talking about links to other sites, many webpages have them, they are not what I would call advertising, a list of links is informative, unobtrusive and potentially useful.
Maybe you could have a page in the wiki with links to all known and active, relevant websites.

Gryzor

Steve, sorry if I wasn't clear enough. No, not for-profit advertising, more of a way to promote other sites for free, since we do get lots of visitors. A kind of a next-step from a link list. Yes, it would have to be something unobtrusive, and maybe appear only one per session - like a peeling corner or something maybe?