News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPCWiki Offline Version

Started by transformer, 00:37, 24 November 06

Previous topic - Next topic

transformer

I just finished an offline, working, version for CPCWiki.

Contents and files as October 26, 2006.

This means, you can copy the files to DVD or anywhere in your hard disk, and have an offline working version for CPCWiki without Internet connection or access (unless you ask or hit over external links and pages), for navigating their Web as well as for getting data, images, files, manuals... For searching over, you can use your favorite operating system or external search/index utility or tool.

Actually, there are two versions, one for plain html (about 1GB size and 80,000 files), and other with .chm format (one single file, 294MB size).

Someone interested, search for:

AMSTRAD.CPC_WWW.TOSEC_v02.SP1.rar (738,014 KB)

CPCregards
transformer

Gryzor

Hmmm.... very interesting, but why? I mean, is an offline version really useful? Would anyone need to have it offline?

By the way, backups are made on a weekly basis... Your 'one plain html' offline is 1GB (backup is 491MB on the server) probably because all empty pages were leeched too by the spider...

Cheers
Gryzor

transformer

Hello,

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:41, 24 November 06
Hmmm.... very interesting, but why? I mean, is an offline version really useful? Would anyone need to have it offline?

Well, the idea behind an offline version is have your "own server" and website over your hard disk, save all the information, media files, manuals, pics... (sometimes for collection, sometimes to build your own one, sometimes to check, sometimes to save time and bandwidth), as well as, specially for retrosites, preserve their contents and information, since it's more common than desired they suddenly dissapear, change or delete totally their contents, move from domain or server, external links and files not working, change format, look, database, web engine...

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:41, 24 November 06By the way, backups are made on a weekly basis...

The offline version does not, and can not, tries to replace the real and running version over Internet, never, not to mention dynamic sites and a wiki, where all use is around the powerful search, index and links engines. It's just a different media, source and use.

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:41, 24 November 06Your 'one plain html' offline is 1GB (backup is 491MB on the server) probably because all empty pages were leeched too by the spider...

It's difficult, if possible, to establish a relation or ratio between the origin DB and engine, and the result; for wikis, the size and number of files is coming heavily from the number of existing links and pages, plus their links to many other pages and files, and not really from media files (at least for the moment, for CPCWiki).

About the pages, not all of them are hit or downloaded, they are filtered to avoid interactive pages, edit pages, useless pages, links that would not work offline, loops, overload the offline version or the web... Anyway (the most difficult and hard work), later the pages, html code and files, are checked, patched, modified, edited, filtered, deleted, or added, according the problem, sites, pages, scripts...  as an attempt to produce a real, usable and reliable offline version, where all the pages and links work, no access or links exists or are need to reference site, and the user get as many information, files, feel and look as possible from the online Internet site.

CPCregards
transformer

Gryzor

I see what you mean - and imagined so myself. It's just that I don't see too many wanting to run it offline. In any case, I can assure that, unless something very drastic happens (eg, I meet my maker), even if I decide to step away, I will either pass it on to someone else or AT LEAST offer the latest version to as many people as possible...

Interesting, that you filtered the pages... how did you do it?

Cheers
Gryzor

transformer

Hello again,

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:40, 24 November 06It's just that I don't see too many wanting to run it offline.

I didn't, too... people usually don't understand or don't like offline sites, they remember only about when closed, changed or files are lost, and today it's difficult to be (to live!) too much time whithout some type of Internet connection. As commented, also a Wiki is quite particular and far for static, so most action and access is for searching, editing, adding, removing, i.e. not static pages or use. However, and hopefully  ;) , I never will wait again access or download for many interesting files and long manuals; many of them, only uploaded and published thanks to CPCWiki system and users!

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:40, 24 November 06In any case, I can assure that, unless something very drastic happens (eg, I meet my maker), even if I decide to step away, I will either pass it on to someone else or AT LEAST offer the latest version to as many people as possible...

Never mind that!, hope CPCWiki and you stay for ever!

But, imagine one or five years ahead... do you think you will be running same MediaWiki version? Same look? Same files? Maybe someother running? Maybe the development closed or forced to close due to some new program, a new engine, a new and strange Internet and patent law? 20 years is already enough Amstrad and retro :)

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:40, 24 November 06Interesting, that you filtered the pages... how did you do it?

Well, it's necessary carefully look and study the site and their pages, their working, the links and scripts, edit and read the html code for a lot of them, and (try to) avoid download or hit (by keywords, locations, type of files...) all of these that would not work offline, useless links, actions such login, edit a page, post a message, enter endless loops, and, also, many times, sites, software and webmaster have bugs and unexpected problems.

Anyway, I suggest you take a look at the file some day  ;D

CPCregards
transformer

Gryzor

Quote from: transformer on 20:32, 24 November 06

But, imagine one or five years ahead... do you think you will be running same MediaWiki version? Same look? Same files? Maybe someother running? Maybe the development closed or forced to close due to some new program, a new engine, a new and strange Internet and patent law? 20 years is already enough Amstrad and retro :)

Well, even if there's a newer version of Mediawiki, a new look, new files, new program/engine/concept, this will mean the CPCwiki will still be alive, kicking and online. New laws/catastrophes that would indeed force a shutting down of the wiki would mean that, at least I would make sure a complete backup was available to anyone interested. I can't vouch for anyone else who may administer the wiki after myself, of course, but until andif such thing happens, I will make a point in keeping it alive one way or another.

In any case, although I can vow that it won't just disappear, I also understand your worry and appreciate it, actually :) One question - how often do you plan on updating it?

Anyway, I suggest you take a look at the file some day  ;D

Well, where can one find it? Torrents?

Cheers
Gryzor

CPCregards
transformer

[/quote]

transformer

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:37, 25 November 06New laws/catastrophes that would indeed force a shutting down of the wiki would mean that, at least I would make sure a complete backup was available to anyone interested. I can't vouch for anyone else who may administer the wiki after myself, of course, but until andif such thing happens, I will make a point in keeping it alive one way or another.

Great, I think all CPC scene must thank you a lot, as well as the actual CPCWiki and work, your ideas and future both for the system running and their contents!

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:37, 25 November 06In any case, although I can vow that it won't just disappear, I also understand your worry and appreciate it, actually :) One question - how often do you plan on updating it?

Honestly, I don't know; also to consider available time, work and encourage myself. I started it because someone sending here a lot of files "suggested" me to do it, and it was so difficult that becomes something like a personal matter of "I can do it!", "It must be possible to do in some way". Also, if it grows to something like Wikipedia ;) , I don't know even if possible due to number of files and links; however, I consider that CPCWiki 'learning curve' will increase from now much more the size and lenght of articles, text, reviews and images, than names and links, but...

By the way, one question: what's your opinion or 'policy' about upload some type of files and contents, let's say like CPC and NVG games or programs, and add them with related material, like their covers, description, publisher, different version and language versions, comments... ?

CPCregards
transformer

Gryzor

Quote from: transformer on 21:24, 27 November 06
Great, I think all CPC scene must thank you a lot, as well as the actual CPCWiki and work, your ideas and future both for the system running and their contents!

Well, the idea may have been mine, but it's certainly thanks to all the contributors that the wiki is growing like it is :) *blush*

Quote from: transformer on 21:24, 27 November 06
By the way, one question: what's your opinion or 'policy' about upload some type of files and contents, let's say like CPC and NVG games or programs, and add them with related material, like their covers, description, publisher, different version and language versions, comments... ?

Well, I have givent his some thought every now and then. I don't really think that the wiki should be a software repository, except maybe for rare/difficult to find stuff, like the CPCGamesCD which currently didn't have a home and I offered to host it. Other than that, is there really the need to duplicate the NVG archive?

Of course, screenshots/covers/whatever would be more than welcome, but in that case we would probably have to build some sort of more advanced db/display system than the one currently used (see the c64 wiki for instance), but currently I'm not really sure of how to implement it... if anyone feels like it... :)

Cheers
Gryzor